how to describe the sound of igniting the lighter in English?

Liu Lin

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 09:36 pm
which onomatopoeia can describe the sound of igniting the lighter

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 09:37 pm
@Liu Lin,
flick
JTT

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 09:57 pm
@Ticomaya,
For a lawyer, you don't seem all that bright, Tico. You have, of late, been having a lot of trouble with meanings of words.

Here, let me help you out.

MW:

Definition of ONOMATOPOEIA

: the naming of a thing or action by a vocal imitation of the sound associated with it (as buzz, hiss)
: the use of words whose sound suggests the sense
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 10:12 pm
@Liu Lin,
Snick
Liu Lin

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 10:14 pm
@Ticomaya,
Thank you very much. but I think flick is a kind of light sharp contact. like I give him a flick on the back.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 10:19 pm
@Liu Lin,
Quote:
which onomatopoeia can describe the sound of igniting the lighter

Suck some air quickly thru your upper and lower teeth at either side of your mouth. That'll give you the sound many native English speakers use to describe that action.
roger

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 10:24 pm
@JTT,
Huh???????

He's looking for a word, not a sound. If he wanted a sound he would probably just flick his own bic.
Below viewing threshold (view)
roger

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 10:58 pm
@JTT,
You would like to have some minor little influence over what I read and reply to, wouldn't you?

You don't. My choice; not yours.
JTT

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:47 am
@roger,
I don't give a rat's ass what you read or you don't read, Roger. It's just vitally important to point up what a highly deceitful person you are. It's also important to point up what a coward you are.
NSFW (view)
NSFW (view)
JTT

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 11:43 am
@roger,
Quote:
You would like to have some minor little influence over what I ... reply to, wouldn't you?

Most assuredly not, Roger. I stated some time ago that it can be highly instructive when amateurs like you respond to language threads. I just wish you weren't so damn deceptive, in all of your postings.
NSFW (view)
roger

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 01:29 pm
@JTT,
What tickles me is when she/he/it responds to language threads. She/he/it and at least one other do not answer questions. They lurk around like a couple of slimey salamanders hiding under the leaf mold and try to ambush everyone who does bother to answer. They sharpshoot, divert, and everything they can think of to derail the thread. They DO NOT ANSWER QUESTIONS.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 02:36 pm
@roger,
I like the word 'snick' if the lighter was rather old. Lighters these days seem to be smoother, but it still might work.

(1955) Deborah hid under the desk as Roger came in the door. She heard him sit heavily down in the chair across the room, heard the snick-snick-snick of him getting his lighter to work, heard him inhale the first drag on his cigarette and the sigh of him breathing out the smoke. This was going to take awhile; she settled in to wait for him to leave.

(1995) The singer came to the front of the stage, sweat pouring down his face, "This next song is for Roger. You all know what happened." Almost at once, the air was full of waving arms and the snicking of lighters, there came over the crowd a glow, a shimmer of ten thousand flames. Slowly at first, the singer began the song with a low moan.

What do you think?

Joe(skritch...is the sound of a match being lit)Nation
roger

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 03:35 pm
@Joe Nation,
Cough and wheeze more or less accurately describe the sounds made by someone who inhales the toxic fumes emitted by a recently scritched match.
0 Replies