Explosions at Boston Marathon - A2K Runners, Check In Please

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:34 pm
Fox News is now reporting that a "person of interest" is now in custody and then saying that it may not be accurate, as most early reports prove to be.

Sounds like they are just repeating what the LATimes was reporting.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:34 pm
CNN tweeted that the cellphone network has been shut down to prevent that method of detonation, so that's one reason why you mightn't have heard from locals.
Ragman

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:38 pm
@hingehead,
It's a very good thing they shut down the cell phone network. I understand the phone companies did this in cooperation with requests from security.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:41 pm
I was at Fenway Park, about a mile from the finish line, I think, when the bombs must have gone off/ Didn't hear any sound there (no explosion sound, that is), and crowds around there (after the game)leaving Kenmore Square, where the runners come through, didn't seem upset about an hour after, just calmly walking home. I heard about it from friends who work in the park around 3:30 EDT, who'd heard on their cells. It sounded totally unbelievable. It seems the news filtered out slowly to the crowds along the route. Listened to the sports station on the way home. They were firmly squelching anyone who tried to speculate on who was responsible or why, which was rather above their normal level of responsibility, I thought.

They were saying 2 dead, 19 injured at Mass General, 9 at Tufts Medical, and more expected as news was gathered. 2 unexploded devices found, one dtonated under controlled conditions by bomb squad. The JFK library was it turned out unrelated. Ed Davis was supposed to make a statement at 4:30. he hadn't when I got home about 4:40.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:42 pm
Now CNN is reporting that the Boston police are saying they have no suspects or persons of interest in custody.

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:46 pm
The President to address the nation at 6:10 pm ET.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:49 pm
@Butrflynet,
So, soon.. she says, subtracting two hours.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:49 pm
@Butrflynet,
Link you had earlier was LATIN Times, not the LA Times.

This is where it's rumors and some wishful thinking, I imagine.

We are going to hear a lot of conflicting stuff.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:53 pm
@jespah,
Thanks Jespah. Didn't notice the difference in link text when I pasted it.

That will teach me to check accuracy of textual labels for links.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:54 pm
@jespah,

heading home now.
hopefully they are re-routing the express buses away from copley square...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
I didn't notice it, either - one of Failures Art's friends did.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:57 pm
@jespah,
Aha, thanks for chasing that down. I've fond mems of the LA Times, including once doing some design for them. Some of the writers have seemed to be my colleagues or friends over the years. Not that I think they can't or have not stumbled, especially now in the newspaper industry.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 04:05 pm
Haven't been in for a while. Just wanted to see the Boston crew were all ok... not sure what to say except that I wish you all well today.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 04:10 pm
@Eorl,
Miss you, Eorl.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 04:11 pm
@Eorl,
Thanks - we are - can't speak for all, but I know I'm still rather shocked and upset.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 04:15 pm
@jespah,
I have a cousin in Boston, trying to get home to the Hanover area. Says she is afraid to go through the tunnel and can't sneak through So. Boston because they've closed everything off around the JFK library.

Other cousins are telling her to just stay in town tonight and they'll come get her in the morning.

Their kids from all over the East Coast are all coming home...the family is closing ranks to comfort each other.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 04:26 pm
Drudge reporting at least two more devices didn't go off, police investigating. Fox and Drudge say two dead, at least one article on FreeRepublic is claiming 12 dead.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 04:33 pm
The Charlottesville contingent at the race is all accounted for. One of them was near the finish as a spectator and claims to have to seen a person leave a small suitcase in the blast area beforehand. He has been in touch with police.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 04:40 pm
@realjohnboy,
What a thing to see..

well, people leave stuff all the time, but he or she did notice that.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 04:41 pm
A "Person of Interest" is being questioned at Brigham & Women's.
The hospital is in lockdown.