Explosions at Boston Marathon - A2K Runners, Check In Please

roger

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 09:05 pm
@Region Philbis,
Okay, but they did neutralize the rice cooker, right?
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 03:47 am
@roger,
Quote:
A shelter-in-place order on Boylston Street has been lifted and a 25-year-old Boston man
is facing charges after police executed a controlled detonation of two suspicious bags left
near the Boston Marathon finish line.

Just after 7 p.m. on Tuesday, on the one-year anniversary of last year’s Boston Marathon
bombings, police said two backpacks had been found in the area and immediately ordered
people to evacuate. Authorities said the backpacks were tied to a man who goes by Kayvon
Edson. Edson was captured in several videos marching down Boylston Street in a black veil,
wearing a backpack, and chanting “Boston strong.”

Edson was taken into custody and will be charged with disorderly conduct, disturbing the
peace, and possession of a hoax device.
(boston.com)
chai2

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 07:57 am
@Region Philbis,
While we remember the 3 that died and the 264 that were injured in the Boston Marathon bombing, out of a population of about 640,000, let's also not forget the 15 that were killed and 200 that were injured out of a population 2,800 in a fertilizer plant explosion that happened on 4/17/2013 in West, Texas.

I wonder if anyone will look for their 15 seconds of fame reenacting that tragedy?

West, Tx, unfortunately, has not done nearly as well as Boston as far as recovery.

http://www.emergencymgmt.com/disaster/A-Year-Later-West-Texas-Recovery.html?page=1&
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:19 am
Quote:
Man arraigned in Boston bomb hoax

The man arrested near the Boston Marathon finish line carrying a backpack containing a rice cooker
was sent to a state psychiatric facility for an evaluation Wednesday after an initial court appearance.

Kevin "Kayvon'' Edson, 25, was sent to Bridgewater State Hospital and ordered held on $100,000 bail at
an appearance in Boston Municipal Court on charges of threatening battery, possession of a hoax
explosive device, threats to commit a crime, disturbing the peace, disturbing a public assembly and
disorderly conduct. He's due back in court May 7.

Edson was arrested Tuesday hours after ceremonies to mark last year's Boston Marathon bombings,
in which two pressure cooker bombs hidden in backpacks exploded, killing three people near the
finish line and injuring more than 260 others.

The backpack incident rattled nerves days ahead of this year's marathon. Police kept people away from
the finish line area for about three hours Tuesday and trains bypassed the nearby Copley Square station.

Edson, with addresses in Boston and Wakefield, was stopped late Tuesday after passers-by told an
officer they saw him yelling, walking barefoot down the middle of a street, veiled in black, in pouring
rain. His face was painted yellow and blue, the traditional colors of the marathon, police said.
The street was open to pedestrians at the time, and police said his presence was not a security breach.

The backpack was destroyed. Police determined that its contents were not explosive.

According to a police report read aloud in court, after Edson was read his rights, he told an officer:
"I knew what I was doing, it was conceived in my head. It's symbolism, come on. The performance got
the best of me.''

In a statement, his family said, "Our family is so sorry and emotionally overwhelmed by the events at the
finish line of the Boston Marathon yesterday. To have this happen on the one-year anniversary of such a
horrific crime is unfathomable.''

Edson's mother, Joie Edson, said her son has battled bipolar disorder for many years and his mental state
has recently deteriorated.

A second suspicious backpack also was found Tuesday. Officers determined it had been left behind by a
media outlet and was not dangerous, but it too was destroyed.
(espn)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 01:35 pm
https://twitter.com/Laurel_Sweet/status/599295893377044482

Laurel J. Sweet @Laurel_Sweet
BREAKING: Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev is to be executed for the Boston Marathon bombing.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 01:53 pm
I am surprised by the jury's decision.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 02:02 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'm against the death penalty myself, so I'd never have been on the jury.

Given none of them were against the penalty of death in the first place, I can see some of their reasoning. These aren't real quote marks, just what I think some might be thinking - "He did it", "it wasn't without forethought", "It's less costly in the long run", "it'll be a deterrent", "it'll make emotional recovery easier for Boston".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 02:08 pm
He showed 100% no remorse. That had to be key. I am anti death penalty, but I feel no empathy for one like him.
jespah

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 02:23 pm
They went through a number of factors in making the decision (I can't find them right now as Twitter is zooming along, but these will be out and available soon, I'm sure).

The only really mitigating circumstance they found was that he was 19 at the time of the bombings.

They were asked whether Dzokhar had killed Officer Collier, as the defense had claimed it was Tamerlan. The jury found Dzokhar had done that. Evidently it was some scheme to take Collier's weapon and go north, bombing all the way.

https://twitter.com/Laurel_Sweet/status/599301155953442816
The death sentence was delivered on capital counts 4,5,9,10,14 and 15.#Tsarnaev
jespah

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 02:24 pm
@jespah,
Here are the questions referenced on Twitter -

Only 1 juror finds he'll never be violent again in prison.#Tsarnaev
Expand
56m
Only 1 juror blamed his mother for how #Tsarnaev turned out.
Expand
57m
Only 3 believe his friends still care about #Tsarnaev.
Expand
58m
Matt Stout @MattPStout
Influence of Tamerlan key. #Tsarnaev defense built almost entirely on premise he was swayed by his older brother
Expand
58m
Only 2 believe Tamerlan shot Collier and not #Tsarnaev.
Expand
59m
Only 3 jurors believed #Tsarnaev was under his brother's influence.
Expand
1h
1) Under mitigating factors favoring life imprisonment, 12 jurors found #Tsarnaev was 19.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 05:21 pm
For me, it's personal. Friends and neighbors were maimed and mutilated
by that little ****.

Still, I do not wish him dead.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 05:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

He showed 100% no remorse. That had to be key. I am anti death penalty, but I feel no empathy for one like him.

The "but" is troubling, because if you are not against the death penalty here then you are only sometimes against it. I am against it always, though it would not take much for me to be for it for treason. I used to be for it for treason but I changed my mind last year.

I am rarely in favor of life in prison for those under 25, but I am here. With no parole options.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 09:54 pm
So, how many years to live does he have before he's executed?
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 12:17 am
@InfraBlue,
Condemned Boston Marathon bomber may spend years in prison during appeal

Condemned to die for his part in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is likely to await his fate over the course of years, if not decades, locked up in grim prisons under extreme conditions while his lawyers appeal his sentence.

But Tsarnaev's execution is neither imminent nor guaranteed. It will likely take at least a decade for his lawyers to exhaust all of his appellate options, said Dunham (Robert Dunham, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center [DPIC]), and anywhere during the process, a court may overturn the death sentence, Dunham said.

"Because there is a death verdict, there will be a thorough appeals process," he said. "If he had gotten a life sentence, this would be over with."
rosborne979

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 04:40 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

So, how many years to live does he have before he's executed?

Probably around 80.

His punishment isn't that he's going to be executed or even being incarcerated, it's being tangled up in the legal system for the rest of his life. Shudder.
farmerman

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 05:23 am
@rosborne979,
maybe thats punishment enough, having to get up early each day and shoer and have and get dressed in a business suit jut to go and be some appeals monkey.

Maybe he will commit suicide and save us all the crap hearing about his "plight" and having some douche bag reporters come up with a series of new angles from which to report about this little toad.. I think he should jut be stricken from all records and send him to Suprmax in Canon City Colo and let him sweat and freeze for another 70 years till he dies

farmerman

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 05:29 am
@farmerman,
Put me in charge of prisoner containment. Id have these guys put in a small cell with a TV playing one episode of AMERICAN IDOL over and over and over., and there wuld be one peep hole to the outside world (all other would be LED lighting). The peep jole would be Ti lined so you could only get a light beam for a few hours but itd be so small you couldnt see anything.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 07:47 am
I don't understand why it should take longer for him than it did McVeigh, but I am not versed in the law that much.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 08:05 am
@InfraBlue,
As said, I'm anti death penalty but a while back I tried to gather my thoughts to what the jurors had been thinking. I was quite wrong to assume they had some underlying thought that this would be more closure for Boston. Maybe satisfying to some, but the matter will stay alive in the news with all the appeals.
roger

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 02:59 pm
@farmerman,
Every few weeks, strap him on a Gurney and give him a ride. Then roll him back into his cell. Ha ha! Just kidding.