Explosions at Boston Marathon - A2K Runners, Check In Please

Ragman

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 03:57 pm
@George,
How dreadfully awful. I hope he can heal up well and put his life back together afterwards.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 04:04 pm
@Ragman,
It'll all be down to forensics and cctv in the end.

Whoever they are, they need hanging. Preferably slowly.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 04:16 pm

seen outside yankee stadium...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIAAPocCYAA3dIu.jpg:large
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 04:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
That took me a moment and then there was a lightbulb Cool
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 04:48 pm
Thing is, everyone keeps thinking of this -- quite automatically -- as an Islamist act, comparable to 9/11. But no one has so far claimed responsibility. Given the type of home-made device that this was, isn't it just as likely that the perps were local rectal cavities? Tim VcVey in OKC was no Muslim, to name just one.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 04:52 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I figure there is hatred involved, but it could be any fixation cooked up to boiling.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:05 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Right now, it's totally unknown. And I am thinking, too, that if no one has claimed responsibility by now, it may have been a lone nut case.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:09 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
And no, not everyone, and not automatically.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:15 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
That's not what I'm seeing on FB.

Pretty even spread between evil terrorist group/crazy individual/no freaking clue but I hate them.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:22 pm
I read that pressure cookers were used and this is something seen in Afghanistan. A meager but by no means conclusive suggestion that this is Islamist related.

Thankfully A2K is not reflecting the sort of vile "dialogue" that is prevalent elsewhere on the Web.

As if the identity and motivation of the bastard responsible could represent a victory for anyone.

I would like to think that rational Americans have had their fill with rampant politicization and will "punish" political figures like Renny Stoyer who today blamed this tragedy on Sequestration. BTW - if there are similar schmucks on the Republican side I welcome learning of them as they deserve to be " punished" too.

On the scene the best of humanity was evidenced but
removed from it, not so much.

There is a profound message here that I'm working on discovering.

hingehead

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:34 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
The lack of claim of responsibility is weird - if it's organised terrorism.

'We are punishing you imperialist dogs/infidel scum/libtard bastards/right wing nutjobs for... sorry can't tell you, don't do it again.'

Kind of defeats the purpose of terrorism I would have thought.

What is also odd is that in days gone past you would have got several groups claiming responsibility (if this had happened in other parts of the world where it's more common).

I'm leaning to lone wolf - but I have less idea than most. Am pretty confident that the perp will be tracked though, but maybe I've watched too much american crime drama.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:35 pm
Observation:

This is a horrific event by so many qualifications and yet it pales in comparison to 9/11. Actually, it doesn't measure up to the scope of many other terrorist attacks around the world (a point izzy seemed intent on making for a reason that seems unkind).

It's easy to imagine that from a historical perspective we are living in the Age of The Terrorist.

How do we move out of such an Age?

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't know.
Good question.
Don't seem to be any simple answers.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
anybody know if the undetonated bombs were of the same style as the ones that did go off? If they aere somehwat different they could have been plants to throw off the bomb experts.

ANYBODY have a feeling that the aryans or bikers had something to do with this?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:41 pm
@farmerman,
The undetonated bombs, the ones some high up security person mentioned, have been denied all day today and also last night, if I remember right.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:41 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

We don't. It simply runs its course as all past such 'ages' have done. Hasn't been a single hostage kidnapping in Lebanon in years and years, just as one example.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:46 pm
@George,
I'm so sorry.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:51 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

And no, not everyone, and not automatically.

Definitely not. That was my third thought. My first thought was a fundamentalist 2Aer, followed quickly by teens/young adults playing too many video games. I hoped, actually, that is was one of the first two because the muslim community doesn't deserve the kind of retribution they would get if it was an Islamist act.

The fact that a Saudi national who (according to one of Bfn's previous posts will be cleared of any involvement) was chased, detained, and vilified simply because he was a) running (who wasn't?), and b) a Saudi is pretty sickening. I add him to the list of victims in this case.
JPB

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:52 pm
This made me cry.

http://globalgrind.com/news/trayvon-martins-parents-message-family-martin-richard-victim-boston-marthon-bombing-photos#ixzz2QfezT4Ww
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
It's easy to imagine that from a historical perspective we are living in the Age of The Terrorist.

I know that your schtick is to obtusely feign ignorance, Finn, but it's oh so simple.

Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it.

--Noam Chomsky
0 Replies