Explosions at Boston Marathon - A2K Runners, Check In Please

Below viewing threshold (view)
JTT

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 06:08 pm
US, a leading terrorist state in world: Chomsky

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/01/29/286231/us-a-top-terrorist-state-chomsky/

“I took the official definitions of terrorism, which were very good, I took the definition that is given in US and British law, which is a fine definition but has a flaw; If you apply it, it turns out the United States is one of the leading terrorist states in the world,” Chomsky told Press TV in an interview on Tuesday.
JTT

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 06:18 pm
@JTT,
It seems that there are some that disagree with what I've said.

If you don't like what someone has to say, argue with them.
- Noam Chomsky
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 06:22 pm
@JTT,
There's those same ole people, brave folk all, popping up to express themselves in that oh so eloquent A2K fashion, hit a button.

If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged.
- Noam Chomsky

Clearly illustrates just how active these same presidents have been as terrorists.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 06:50 pm
@JPB,
My perception is that they went after the saudi guy (geez, what an ordeal, being in a new country, dealing with school, running in fear and then nabbed by people thinking you did it) hook line and sinker but also weren't convinced he was a baddie. I haven't read enough, I am gathering most were confused.
hingehead

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 07:50 pm
One of our right wing media nutjobs thinks it was left wing students because Boston is a university town.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/alan-jones-suggests-leftwing-radical-students-link-to-boston-bombing-20130417-2hz8y.html

I hope it's of some comfort to my American friends that you haven't cornered the market on idiot media.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 07:54 pm
@hingehead,
It would have to be left-wing,wouldn't it?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 09:14 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
There are no shortage of folks who have assumed and assert the party responsible is right-wing. There are plenty of idiots to go around.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 09:15 pm
Whether or not it's connected there are reports that a couple of Senators have received letters laces with ricen.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 09:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Oh, and just in case this suggests, for anyone, an identification of the party involved, one is Roger Wicker a Republican from Mississippi and the other is Mary Landrieu a Democrat from Louisiana.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 09:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I saw one of those. Sounds opportunistic to me.
But what d'I know.
Sad, in any case.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 09:26 pm
WSJ:

Quote:
The materials believed to have been used in the bombs closely match those that Naser Jason Abdo, a young Texas soldier, had amassed before he was charged by the FBI in Texas in 2011 with plotting to attack fellow soldiers.

An FBI expert testified at his trial that it would have taken about 30 minutes to build a bomb using materials Mr. Abdo had gathered—including a pressure cooker, gunpowder, clocks and electrical tape—by following instructions in an al Qaeda magazine found in his backpack.

Mr. Abdo was convicted and is serving life in prison.

In the foiled Times Square bombing of 2010, authorities said one of the three devices would-be bomber Faisal Shahzad had assembled was a pressure cooker containing more than 100 firecrackers.

U.S. counterterrorism officials have warned for a decade about the use of pressure cookers to manufacture bombs. The warnings came after finding such bomb-making was being taught at terrorist camps in Afghanistan.

.Officials Tuesday cautioned that this type of bomb could have been made by any number of groups or individuals.

In 2010, the Yemen-based al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula's Internet magazine carried an article with a step-by-step guide that included the use of a pressure cooker.

The article, headlined "Make a Bomb in the Kitchen of Your Mom," listed common items including filaments from Christmas light bulbs, gunpowder and a clock.

Dan Defenbaugh, a former FBI bomb technician who led the investigation of the Oklahoma City bombing, cautioned that while al Qaeda has promoted the use of pressure cookers to build bombs, one shouldn't assume the bomber is necessarily an al Qaeda follower
JTT

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 09:45 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
There are plenty of idiots to go around.

I've often said that. Are you a doomsday prepper, Finn?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:03 pm
Forgive my ignorance...
I haven't seen a pressure cooker for decades. I recall it being the size of a VW bug. What are they primarily used for? Canning?
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:52 pm
@realjohnboy,
Cooking, I love my pressure cooker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_cooking

Quote:
There are three generations of pressure cookers:

First generation

Also known as "old type" pressure cookers, these operate with a weight-modified or "jiggly" valve, which releases pressure during operation. Some people might consider them loud or very loud because the weight-modified valve operates similarly to the piston in a steam engine. They typically offer only one pressure level—with the exception of some newer "old style" pressure cookers that allow the operator to change the weight of the weight-modified valve.

Second generation

Also known as "new" or "latest generation" pressure cookers, these operate with a spring-loaded valve that is often hidden from view in a proprietary mechanism. This generation is characterized by two or more pressure settings. Some of these pressure cookers do not release any steam during operation (non-venting) and instead use a rising indicator with markings to show the pressure level. These only release steam when the pan is opened, or as a safety precaution if the heat source is not reduced enough when the pan reaches the required cooking pressure. Others use a dial that the operator can advance by a few clicks (which adjusts a spring underneath) to change the pressure setting or release pressure; these release steam during operation (venting).

Electric pressure cookers

Called "third generation" pressure cookers by their manufacturers, these include an electric heat source that is automatically regulated to maintain the operating pressure. They also include a spring-loaded valve (as described above). Two or more pressure settings are available on this type of pressure cooker, along with features such as a timer and a setting to keep food warm. However, this pressure cooker type cannot be opened with a cold water quick-release method and should be operated with caution when releasing vapour through the valve, especially while cooking foamy foods and liquids (lentils, beans, grains, milk, gravy, etc.).
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 06:59 am
@ossobuco,
From what was reported this Saudi young man was in the hospital - he was injured. They had guards at the hospital (they had them at all the hospitals, but they were at this particular hospital a longer time - who knows maybe in part to protect him from people who would shoot first ask questions later or until they were sure he was not involved) there and he was questioned. They searched his apartment and did not find anything.

Yes, he was targeted because of his religious belief and country. Is it fair - no. But it does make logical sense why you would investigate him. They found he wasn't involved and that's it. Better to be cautious and investigate anyone that could be remotely involved than to have others bombed.
Thomas

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 08:34 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
Jespah, Region Philbus, Thomas, littlek, etc., let us know if you were there and that you are okay.

Wasn't there. I'm okay. Thanks for asking. Smile
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 08:38 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
But it does make logical sense why you would investigate him. They found he wasn't involved and that's it. Better to be cautious and investigate anyone that could be remotely involved than to have others bombed.

With all due respect, this is bull. The only reason that people are so willing to have this guy investigated because of his religion is because it isn't their religion. Let's see them single out a Conservative Christian or an NRA member and see how people react.

A very small percentage of terror attacks in the US (e.g. unabomber, Oklahoma city, Atlanta Olympics) have to do with Arab immigrants. Our willingness to jump on brown-skinned muslims is not being "cautious", it is succumbing to prejudice.

If we are so willing so sacrifice our nations values-- "All men are created equal" because of irrational prejudice, then what's the point.

Singling out people because of their religion or the color of their skin is not OK under any circumstance. I don't care how afraid you are.