Does "a panel of" mean "a group of"?

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 01:45 am

Context:
A panel of 67 miRNAs in liver tumour tissue when used as a biomarker identified 9 of 12 patients within Milan criteria whose HCC recurred and eight of 11 patients beyond Milan criteria who did not have recurrence.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 689 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 05:52 am
@oristarA,

yes.

a panel is usually composed of a group of experts in a particular field...
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 06:59 am
@oristarA,
I think "panel" in this case is a series of medical tests. I didn't find it in the standard online dictionaries, but you can see its use on this website. The "Selected Answer" above is a good definition in general but not applicable in this case IMO.
oristarA

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 07:06 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I think "panel" in this case is a series of medical tests. I didn't find it in the standard online dictionaries, but you can see its use on this website. The "Selected Answer" above is a good definition in general but not applicable in this case IMO.

I'm not very clear about this.
A group of 67 miRNAs are used as a biomarker in medical tests.
engineer

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 07:22 am
@oristarA,
I'm not a doctor so I can't fully decode this but I read it as:

"A series of medical tests done using 67 miRNA's from liver tumors identified 9 of 12 patients within Milan criteria whose HCC recurred and eight of 11 patients beyond Milan criteria who did not have recurrence. "
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 10:52 am
Panel seems to have a specific meaning in genetics - a deliberately selected set, collection or group e.g. of genes or chromosomes. This corresponds with its everyday meaning when applied to human groups.
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 12:11 pm
Yes, it seems to be a selection. (specific group)

Ori - did you copy the sentence correctly? check over if there are commas missing.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 01:32 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Panel seems to have a specific meaning in genetics - a deliberately selected set, collection or group e.g. of genes or chromosomes. This corresponds with its everyday meaning when applied to human groups.

That may be the case, but I disagree that that is the meaning here. A panel as used here is a group of medical tests. Here is another link showing the medical usage.
Quote:
A basic metabolic panel (BMP) is a group of blood tests that provide doctors with clues about how the body is working. Doctors usually order this as part of a routine physical or as a way to help diagnose a medical problem.

That is the meaning I got from the original post - a specific series of tests on a medical sample.

Edit: A better link from Wikipedia.
roger

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 02:07 pm
@engineer,
Yeah, when I was working, new hires were required to take a "six panel drug screen". It tested for 6 substances.
0 Replies