If "them" was used here, then "id impulse" should be "id impulses" here. Do you agree?

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 07:28 am
Context:

Adorno, et al. (1950) viewed the authoritarian personality as having a strict superego that controls a weak ego unable to cope with strong id impulses. The resulting intrapsychic conflicts cause personal insecurities, resulting in that person’s superego to adhere to externally imposed conventional norms (conventionalism), and to the authorities who impose these norms (authoritarian submission). The ego-defense mechanism of projection occurs as indicated when that person avoids self-reference of the anxiety producing id impulse, by displaying them onto “inferior” minority groups in the given culture (projectivity), with associated beliefs that are highly evaluative (power and toughness), and rigid (stereotypy). Additionally, there is a cynical view of mankind and a need for power and toughness resulting from the anxieties produced by perceived lapses in society’s conventional norms (destructiveness and cynicism). Other characteristics of this personality type are a general tendency to focus upon those who violate conventional values and act harshly towards them (authoritarian aggression), a general opposition to subjective or imaginative tendencies (anti-intraception), a tendency to believe in mystic determination (superstition), and finally, an exaggerated concern with promiscuity.

More:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authoritarian_personality
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 580 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Doubtful

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 07:28 am
@oristarA,
No, I don't agree. The text is very poorly written, but I think "them" refers to "ego-defense mechanism of projection." It should have been "it."
oristarA

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 08:24 am
@Doubtful,
Doubtful wrote:

No, I don't agree. The text is very poorly written, but I think "them" refers to "ego-defense mechanism of projection." It should have been "it."

Thank you!
Any one else agree this?
0 Replies

PUNKEY
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 12:06 pm
Should be either:

1) ID impulses, by displaying them
or
2) ID impulse, by displaying it

It is probably #1, since it talks about displaying onto groupS.

Ori - I find it unusual that in that very complex paragraph, you would hone in on this one word.

I
0 Replies