English Question 'In contrast to'

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 07:20 am
Hi English teachers,
Can I use ‘selections’ and ‘choices’ interchangeably? The below paragraph is what I mean and please correct my English paragraph, many thanks in advance.
In contrast to phone games, computer games are more exciting and challenging. The reason why I prefer computer games to phone games is that computer games have more selections which mean there are more computer games than phone games presently.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 644 • Replies: 18
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Loh Jane
Ceili

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 07:50 am
@Loh Jane,
It's way too wordy. You've written computer games three times in the same sentence. Try something like...
I prefer computer games over phone based games because they are exciting, more challenging and have a greater selection of titles.
Loh Jane

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 07:59 am
@Ceili,
Hi Ceili,
have I used the phrase 'in contrast to' appropriately?
Ceili

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 08:28 am
@Loh Jane,
Yes, there is nothing wrong with that sentence other than the placement feels odd. I would have reversed the sentences. Generally, when making a comparison statement, you have already introduced your subjects. Logically speaking.
0 Replies

Ceili
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 08:29 am
@Loh Jane,
The reason why I prefer computer games to phone games is that they have more selection. In contrast to phone games, computer games are more exciting and challenging..
dalehileman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 09:21 am
@Loh Jane,
Quote:
I'd have said, "Compared to"

Quote:
Can I use ‘selections’ and ‘choices’ interchangeably?
In either case this closing phrase is confusing, seems either contradictory or redundant. Doubtless somebody else with a better grasp of technicalities will explain better than I

Forgive me Jane but the entire para needs to be rethought: Just what is it we're trying to say
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 10:20 am
@Ceili,
Quote:
they have more selection
Ceili, Jane, somehow this one continues to bother me. It's perfectly okay colloq but leaves me in a logical quandary. Maybe I'm too fussy, thought I

So I posed the phrase to my Better Half, who is much smarter than I, whereupon she had exactly the same reaction: It's not clear whether you mean there are more games or more choices within a single game

I'll leave any possible alternatives to somebody better equipped and more patient than I
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 10:29 am
@Ceili,
Dale it should probably read - there is more game selection, or there are more game choices.
timur

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 11:15 am
Loh Jane wrote:

Dale wrote:
I'd have said, "Compared to"

In contrast to has never been a synonym to compared.

As an erstwhile writer, you should avoid spreading that falsity.

This propaganda is in contrast to the reality.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 12:05 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
Dale it should probably read - there is more game selection, or there are more game choices.
Yea Ceili that might be clearer though doesn't this interpretation make the next sentence triply redundant
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 12:10 pm
@timur,
Quote:
In contrast to has never been a synonym to compared.
Yes, no, Tim, it isn't. However, when we say "Compared to" we usu imply a contrast

Compared to "a former writer," "an erstwhile writer" sounds more sophisticated
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 12:23 pm
Dale wrote:
"an erstwhile writer" sounds more sophisticated

However, I do prefer a sound writer than a shallow sophisticated erstwhile writer.

Were the ESl to consider your advice as pertinent, I'd pity them for their future achievements in matters of English language.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 12:29 pm
@timur,
Quote:
However, I do prefer a sound writer
Alas Tim, were that I were he
Loh Jane

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 07:26 am
@dalehileman,
Hi dale,
how can I become a good writer? I want to pass an imminent English writing test badly.
McTag

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 07:37 am
@Loh Jane,

"Presently" is used differently in the UK than in the AmE zone.

In America, it's taken to mean "at present, now".

In Britain, it means "in a short while, soon."

"Momentarily" causes similar misunderstanding.
Loh Jane

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 08:03 am
@McTag,
Thank you.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 10:45 am
@Loh Jane,
Quote:
how can I become a good writer?
Jane, if you're to believe Tim, I'm not the one to ask

I can only guess at frequent contact with English-speaking acquaintances and media such as movies, tv, magazines, newspapers, etc; interacting with Your Average Colloquial Clod (me) through Internet forums like this one

In exercising your ESL, My Better Half, who is much smarter than I, says, "Write about what you know"

Quote:
I want to pass an imminent English writing test badly.
I'm afraid my suggestions can't provide much immediate assistance; except (a) You have my good wishes; (b) Get 8 hrs the night before; and © To promote a sense of calm don't feel as if your upcoming grade matter much in the long run

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&gs_rn=8&gs_ri=psy-ab&pq=define%20integrity-cooperation&cp=14&gs_id=1o&xhr=t&q=how+to+learn+english&es_nrs=true&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=how+to+learn+e&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=782addff5899242d&biw=1125&bih=729
0 Replies

timur

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 12:43 pm
Dale wrote:
My Better Half, who is much smarter than I, says, "Write about what you know"

Why don't you follow her advice?
dalehileman

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 01:48 pm
@timur,
Quote:
Why don't you follow her advice?
Alas Tim, incorrigible