OUR FRIEND HAS LEFT US

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 05:24 am
Off to walk the little dogs before it gets too hot. Bella responds to motivation. I play hell getting her to sit before we cross a street--but when i bring out her lead, the signal that we're going for a walk, she runs up and sits down in front of me and stays sitting like a statue while i attach the lead to her collar. She has her priorities.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 05:57 am
@Setanta,
You'll find that it's something to do with their hearing, Set.

My one isn't disobedient, he's deaf at certain times. That's my theory anyway.
At other times I can whisper the word "walk" when I'm far away over in the East Wing, and a millisecond later there's a loud crash as he jumps off our bed that he's not allowed on, followed by a hurried bumpity bumpity down the stairs, where he'll try to sit by the front door, although it is technically impossible for a greyhound to actually sit, and the rear half in the end forms a sort of tripod similar to the back end of a kangaroo. Legs forming two points, tail the third.

Deafness is what it is. Selective, of course.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 06:32 am
They read minds when they want to. When i came downstairs to take them for a walk last night, The Girl told me they had been running around like loonies for the previous five minutes.

The walk didn't go too badly, but Bella doesn't believe in the command sit. At each street crossing, i had to physically make her sit. If we didn't move out sharply, then she'd get up and wander around. It's going to take time.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 06:53 am
@Setanta,
She'll get there.

It is very different walking a small dog, I find. 99% of the time I walk dog/s that are about waist height, and a very short lead is easily achieved.
The very rare times I walk a small dog, I immediately notice that the short grip is impossible and that extra foot or so can easily lead to the little dawg shuffling a few feet right or left of line.
Is there a knack to it, Set?

The worst one I ever walked was a little female staffy, who was low slung, as strong as a train and had no idea of direction.
By the end of the walk, my arms had muscles on their muscles.
Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 06:58 am
@Lordyaswas,
Not really a knack that i could describe--you just get used to it. Teach them not to dart into the street, and don't sweat the small **** is my advice. When the dogs accept that you're in charge, everything else is trivial.
spendius

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 05:22 pm
@Setanta,
That's it. The being in charge of something. Dogs being the last refuge of things to be in charge of when all else fails.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 05:29 pm
@spendius,
I've not ever been more revolted by a post.
farmerman

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 05:52 pm
@ossobuco,
why? spendi is the one who continually pulls back the curtain on himself, not anyone else. Spendi BELIEVES what he says. I find that fascinating in a clinical way.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2013 05:59 pm
@farmerman,
He's taunting a woman, me, whose dog just died
That isn't fascinating, that is ill will.

I won't post on this any more.

I added Beth and Set but that was obvious.
farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 03:46 am
@ossobuco,
Remember, you aren't the one whose life is empty like spendi. If it weren't for cruel and unfeeling taunts, spendi wouldn't have anything to say.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 03:49 am
Fortunately, no one is taunting the little dogs. We'll have another go at it about 7:30 this morning--before the cruel sun is up.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 03:51 am
@farmerman,
Try reading Chapter 6, Pecuniary Canons of Taste, of Veblen's The Theory Of The Leisure Class. It's online.

What's it to me if you are uneducated in America's best literature and can only blurt out insults as a cover?

What Veblen says there about pet dogs chimes with my experience of dog owners. There's a dog biting incident regularly reported here with some fatalities. And there is dog **** everywhere. Which contains disease components.

That book upset a lot of people. And still does. Are we to hide from scientific thought because some people are upset by it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 04:06 am
FM, stop talking to that idiot, will ya please? We don't need that jackass trashing this thread.
farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 04:16 am
@Setanta,
sorry, I was gonna post something but, youre right, hell just have a free meal.

Time for Walkies?
Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 04:19 am
@farmerman,
Pretty soon--and the girl is making some progress. She's stubborn about sitting at the curb before we cross the street, but she's getting good about "walk around," so that we don't walk on opposite sides of poles or trees. She's smart, she is just completely ignorant, and frighteningly enthusiastic.
Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 04:42 am
The Girl has just informed me that the little dog girl is snoozing. We will not awake her high-littleness just yet. She seems to have some strange ideas, though. She did not come upstairs last night until i called her, then she ran upstairs and jumped up into the bed. (She's quite a jumper--that jump is about twice her body length.) She will also stand at the open storm door with her tail wagging furiously, but she won't come outside until she is invited, at which point she attempts to do a runner. Perhaps she misunderstood being scolded for running off and took it to mean she can only leave the house with permission.
farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 04:45 am
@Setanta,
Ive always been amazed at how quickly a dog can pick up the concept of "patterns". All our dogs learned quickly that, whenever in close quarters and when on a leash, stay more in front so the "Boss" doesn't get wrapped around a telephone pole or mailbox and go all ballistic.
One of our Catahoula's (who bore the appellation "JUNKYARD") for a long time must have thought his name was JEZUSS CHRIST !! cause he had a difficult time training me not to get his leash all wrapped up around his hind legs.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 04:46 am
@Setanta,
OK OK OK, Im getting it

The Girl=Beth
the girl=new doggie.

Im educable
Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 04:51 am
There was a great picture in the dog thread that showed one of those big, goofy golden retrievers standing at a rather high fence with a huge grin, saying: "Hi, my name's NO! GET DOWN! What's yours?
chai2

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 04:54 am
@Setanta,
A guy I knew named his dog checkurdik, because the pup had to consult his penis every time he was addressed, to see if it was ok with whatever was being proposed.