Is My Girlfriend Cheating And Wrong In Her Actions?

BRC

Fri 5 Apr, 2013 09:07 am
I would like to know what people think of this. My live in girlfriend started a watersports meetup group and I thought that this was great. However today I found out that she went boating with a married man without his wife or anyone else from the group. This one on one meetup was not posted to the group for all to participate in. I feel that this was dead wrong unethical, selfish and boarders cheating in our relationship. She acts as if it's no big deal and became extremely angry at me when I tried to talk to her about this. What are others thoughts on this?

engineer

Fri 5 Apr, 2013 09:14 am
@BRC,
If your relationship is worth anything you have to trust her. If you can't trust her, your relationship is worth nothing. If your girlfriend wants to cheat on you, she can do it anytime she wants. If you trust her then meeting a friend for skiing or boating is fine. You're bent because the friend is a guy but the reality is that she has friends who are of both sexes and if that is a relationship issue then you're probably doomed anyway.
BRC

Fri 5 Apr, 2013 09:26 am
@engineer,
You really feel that my live in girlfriend going out with men or anyone alone that is away from the meetup group is no problem even without discussing this with me first is no problem? I feel differently.
contrex

Fri 5 Apr, 2013 09:28 am
And to add, checking up on her and generally acting like you have a right to supervise her will drive her away anyway. Maybe that guy has a wife like you... just guessing...
BRC

Fri 5 Apr, 2013 09:31 am
@contrex,
You are assuming that I was checking up on her. I did not
0 Replies

BRC

Fri 5 Apr, 2013 09:31 am
@contrex,
You are assuming that I was checking up on her. I did not
0 Replies

engineer

Fri 5 Apr, 2013 09:44 am
@BRC,
Then you have a problem. If you don't trust her, you might as well get out now. What are you going to do if she has a business trip with a guy in the future? Heads off to a high school reunion without you? The reality is that if someone wants to cheat she has plenty of opportunity and if you can't trust her to honor your mutual commitments to each other then you are pretty much done for.
BRC

Fri 5 Apr, 2013 10:08 am
@engineer,
Going boating with married men without their wife is not the same as going on a business trip or to a high school reunion. She has lied to me in the past and if she wants to act as if she's a single woman not in a committed live in relationship where love, respect and communication is required by both people I think that I'll give her what she wants or needs which will be out of this home and out of our relationship. Thanks for your input.
engineer

Fri 5 Apr, 2013 10:57 am
@BRC,
BRC wrote:

Going boating with married men without their wife is not the same as going on a business trip or to a high school reunion.

Why?
BRC wrote:
She has lied to me in the past and if she wants to act as if she's a single woman not in a committed live in relationship where love, respect and communication is required by both people I think that I'll give her what she wants or needs which will be out of this home and out of our relationship. Thanks for your input.

I think that makes sense. Clearly she has depleted your trust in her. Good luck.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Fri 5 Apr, 2013 11:00 am
@BRC,
Bottom line is that the two or you are not married. She has every right to do what she wants to do. Of course, that may carry consequences for her, such as damaging her relationship with you to the point that you decide to end it. She is obviously willing to accept that. So the ball is in your court. If the two of you were married (or even engaged) then I would agree that this boating trip was inappropriate.

The man she went boating with is an ass. He is the one obviously looking to cheat on his wife (assuming his wife was unaware of this one on one boating excursion.) But that is of course between he and his wife.

Basically, if what she did is unacceptable to you based upon where you think your relationship is or is headed, then I think you should end it. As for me, once my wife and my relationship got serious (back when we were dating many years ago) I would most certainly have had serious issues with her doing what your girlfriend did. And it would have nothing to do with my trusting her but rather everything to do with her not caring about how her actions affected me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 5 Apr, 2013 12:37 pm
@BRC,
BRC wrote:
What are others thoughts on this?

It doesn't matter what we think about it.

If it's a problem for you, you need to end the relationship.

I'd suggest that the next time you get into a relationship that you clarify up front what both of you can and cannot tolerate in a partner's behaviour.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 5 Apr, 2013 12:39 pm
@BRC,
BRC wrote:
I feel differently.

You clearly have a problem with it. It's probably healthiest for both of you to back away from the relationship now.
0 Replies

amy37

Fri 5 Apr, 2013 02:19 pm
@BRC,
I think what concerns me about this story is that she isn't open to communication, not the fact that BRC doesn't trust her. BRC just wanted to talk to her and she got angry and wasn't open to communication, that's kind of bothersome.

Plus why wouldn't the meeting be opened to others in the group? That's kind of odd, and if it was something personal, she could have explained it.

Is he a good looking guy, or comes off as charming BRC?
0 Replies

BrookeWilson

Sat 6 Apr, 2013 05:41 am
@BRC,
I think you have to talk to her when she is in good mood. I am sure their will be any reason that make her to go with him alone.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Sat 6 Apr, 2013 06:43 am
You don't say what "watersports" means. Was she giving private sailing lessons, driving the boat, diving excursion? Or was this a moonlight cruise - just the two of them?

There needs to be more info before anyone can comment, but it is clear that this is causing a conflict for YOU.

Your girlfriend should not have to tell you her EVERY move, but if she had INTENTIONS to have a romantic interlude with this guy, then you probably know what to do.

Sorry about this. You are probably in disbelief right now. Betrayal is a bitch.
0 Replies

Mame

Sun 7 Apr, 2013 07:34 am
BRC: Yes, I think your girlfriend acted inappropriately. This is a man she just met. It's not like he's a longtime friend, which would be a little different. I think you're right to be concerned, and her anger at you is also inappropriate and suspicious. I trust my husband, but if my husband did that, we'd be having a serious conversation. I feel that it'd be very wrong. Likewise, if I decided to go off on an adventure for the afternoon or meet a new male for a drink or a meal, I think my husband would wonder why I was doing that. If I thought the fellow would make a good friend, I'd be introducing him to my husband like I do my girlfriends. Going off alone like that, then refusing to discuss it, is therefore cause for concern, my friend. I think your instincts are right on.
0 Replies

misscoralrose

Sun 14 Apr, 2013 07:01 am
@BRC,
Based on the available information, my opinion is that she is cheating, or at very least, is considering it. You have good reason to be suspicious. She went on a date with another man. Also, her extreme anger likely stems from feeling guilty, and a desire to distract and deflect. It sucks to be cheated on, and it sucks even more when the cheater continues to be dishonest about his or her betrayal. Obviously, nobody knows what her intent was or what she did on their date. I suppose it could be innocent, but in that case, she probably would have mentioned it before going, and the meetup would have been posted. Regardless of her unknown actions, she went on a date with another man. That is cheating in my opinion. Try not to let her manipulate you into thinking you're being rIdiculous. My heart feels heavy for both of you. Best wishes.
0 Replies

jess089

Fri 20 Sep, 2013 03:11 am
@BRC,
If you feel something isn't right you may need to do a little snooping.
0 Replies

Mazzz27

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 10:32 am
how sure are you that his wife didnt talk her into joining them for a little getaway on a boat. if anything happens shell always be friends with them :/
0 Replies

Thedude541

Thu 31 Aug, 2017 09:21 pm
@BRC,
Yes she is cheating. You don't act like that unless you're doing something wrong. If she wasn't doing something bad then she would probably would have realized how it would seem inappropriate to hang out have naked alone with another man.
Her dismissal of your question is the biggest red flag to me. She either genuinely enjoys hanging out with that guy or feels like it's her right to not respect the relationship you two have for whatever reason. Either she is fucked and will only continue this behavior until you reach a breaking point.
I'd be pretty pissed if I were you. I would end up pushing the issue to a point where she would either stop or we would break up
0 Replies