What does "What's Your Meaning?" mean?

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 05:39 am

Context:

How To Parent - What's Your Meaning?

Our perceptions of our kids affect their behaviour. If we believe we have troublesome, moody or difficult children, or that they are going through a ‘difficult’ phase then they will pick up on that and it will lead to resentment, it will also affect how we treat them. In the next of this ‘How To Parent‘ series, I talk about the meaning we give to our childrens actions and the choice we have to change it.

More:
http://consciousmama.com/how-to-parent-whats-your-meaning/

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
PUNKEY
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 06:02 am
The article explains it:

"Everything they do, from a certain look to a deep and meaningful conversation, you are giving it a meaning that you are probably not even aware of most of the time. The meaning you are placing on these experiences is dramatically affecting the way you relate to people, your kids included."

When interacting with another person, you can choose your own perception (meaning) of the situation. You can choose the feeling you have. The author gives many examples.

I remember feeling so overwhelmed and angry when having to take care of my alcoholic mother (when she was between 65 - 89). I decided that I could do it with anger or love, and I chose love.
oristarA

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 06:58 am
@PUNKEY,
Excellent.
Thank you PUNKEY.
0 Replies