Why Ms Rice won't testify under oath ?

pistoff

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 03:18 am
Hmmm... she doesn't like to swear because she a Christian?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 7,307 • Replies: 141
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 05:25 am
The constitution, and all federal legislation allows for oath or affirmation. One needn't swear an oath in order to testify.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 05:26 am
What for?

Nothing but lies fall out of her mouth every time she opens it anyway...
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 05:33 am
Hey!!!!!
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040323/capt.cdh11303232213.bush_cdh113.jpg
Don't piss her off or you be in a world o hurt!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 07:17 am
PDiddie wrote:
What for?

Nothing but lies fall out of her mouth every time she opens it anyway...

I'd be kind of interested to hear an example. And please remember, neither statements of opinion, nor predictions that turn out to be incorrect, nor mistakes that the speaker has every reason to believe are true are lies. A lie is a statement of fact that the speaker knows is false when he/she says it.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 09:51 am
I may have this wrong, but don't politicians state-side have to 'swear' on the bible to accept their public positions, at some point, when entering office?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:02 am
Ceili wrote:
I may have this wrong, but don't politicians state-side have to 'swear' on the bible to accept their public positions, at some point, when entering office?

It is the customary method in a courtroom to swear in on a bible as a witness and for politicians taking office as well but the bible part isn't required. If someone objects the bible is just put off to the side and they raise their right hand and take the oath.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:04 am
Ceili wrote:

You are wrong. All an office-holder needs to do is raise his right hand. He could swear on a copy of 120 Days of Sodom if he was so inclined. The Bible is merely a political prop.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:04 am
Similarly, as i noted above, they are not required to take an oath, and may make an affirmation.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:11 am
Ceili
Ceili, no, there is no requirement that oaths be sworn on the Bible other than tradition by some. In fact, someone could take their oath on Mad Magazine if they had a strange sense of humor:

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

BBB
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:14 am
fishin': I don't know how they do things out in Massachusetts, but here in Illinois I have never seen a witness sworn in on a bible. In fact, I've never seen a bible in a courtroom in my entire life, except in movies and on TV. Also, I've never seen a judge use a gavel for anything except as a paper-weight.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:16 am
"The White House cites the principle of executive privilege as the reason Rice has declined to testify in public under oath."

Some have argued that the doctrine of executive privilege is neither democratic nor constitutional.

At least, it's not common in other democracies.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:16 am
And a damned fine paper weight a gavel will be, as well ! ! !
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:19 am
joefromchicago wrote:
fishin': I don't know how they do things out in Massachusetts, but here in Illinois I have never seen a witness sworn in on a bible. In fact, I've never seen a bible in a courtroom in my entire life, except in movies and on TV. Also, I've never seen a judge use a gavel for anything except as a paper-weight.

Every time I've been in the witness chair there was one there. Usually it was tucked off to the side. Sometimes they actually used it, sometimes they didn't. *shrugs*
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:27 am
And do those, who swear on the bible, still have their hand on their sword's knob, fishin', while the swordhead is stabbed in the ground? :wink:
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:30 am
Hey now. If people wanna hold their knob that's no one's business but their own. Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:31 am
I was goin' to offer corrections on his sword terminology, Boss, but i like yer response better.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:51 am
Sure, too much tv dramas I guess. Doesn't the president swear on the bible, during inauguration or is it just preference?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:54 am
Political candidates may actually have religious scruples (no, no, it's true!), but whether or not, they will at the least pander to them. It is unlikely that you'll see, in our lifetimes, a president who refuses to do so.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:55 am
Speaking from florida as one who actually does the swearing of folks in the courtroom:

......ain't no bible present *smile*

if i say "do you solemnly swear" and they say no. I switch to do you affirm - they says yes - and the proceedings continue.
0 Replies