How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

ehBeth

Wed 30 Sep, 2015 02:51 pm
@Leadfoot,
almost

atheist/Christian debate

I don't see anyone considering other religions as being "the one right religion".
neologist

Wed 30 Sep, 2015 03:01 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Anyone got a one-liner on how this thread got from its title to a seeming assumption that Christianity is the religion to assess/consider?
Most of the folks here are either unbelievers or adherents to some sect of Christendom. Nobody else seems to care.
ehBeth

Wed 30 Sep, 2015 03:26 pm
@neologist,
That doesn't make Christianity the only religion to consider.

___

I guess the answer is that it was an easy default for the players.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Wed 30 Sep, 2015 03:41 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Anyone got a one-liner on how this thread got from its title to a seeming assumption that Christianity is the religion to assess/consider?

It happens.

It reminds me of Dave's complimentary gardening thread.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Wed 30 Sep, 2015 03:43 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Right, the Devil made him do it. He bent God's arm until he cried uncle.
Are you saying Job and his family will never receive justice for the pain Satan inflicted? Job did not think as much.

I'm not saying that at all.
neologist

Wed 30 Sep, 2015 06:03 pm
@InfraBlue,
So wha's your beef?
InfraBlue

Wed 30 Sep, 2015 07:20 pm
@neologist,
I stated it here.
neologist

Wed 30 Sep, 2015 11:32 pm
@InfraBlue,
So you still believe the account says it was the true God who assaulted Job and destroyed his family and possessions?

Can't help you there.
izzythepush

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 01:45 am
@neologist,
Your account is better, God is such an idiot he had no idea that Satan would torment Job after he'd brought him to his attention.

Your interpretation only works if God is a moron.
FBM

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 03:00 am
@izzythepush,
I liked George Carlin's conclusion that this god is like an office temp and just doesn't give a ****.
izzythepush

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 03:25 am
@FBM,
Maybe, but in any event the story of Job does not put God in a good light, no matter how much people try to spin it.
izzythepush

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 03:28 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

atheist/Christian debate

I don't see anyone considering other religions as being "the one right religion".

That says a lot about A2K's demographic, most people if not Atheist or Christian have been brought up in the Christian tradition.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 04:05 am
How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

The preacher/priest/imam/buddhist teacher's lips are moving.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 12:45 pm
@neologist,
You're being redundant. Go back an read, ad infinitum or at least ad nauseam, what I've already posted.
neologist

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 12:49 pm
@InfraBlue,
You place the blame on the true God. The account does not support your belief. I can't force you to understand.
Leadfoot

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 01:26 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
@FBM,
Maybe, but in any event the story of Job does not put God in a good light, no matter how much people try to spin it.
There is no way in which it looks like Job was given a fair deal. The only way I can justify it is that Job, even though he bitterly complained about it, nevertheless seemed to accept the situation and trust that God would ultimately make it right. He saw no alternative to staying the course.

As far as I remember, Job was not even aware of the wager between God and Satan. That had to make it even harder.
neologist

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 01:57 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
. . . As far as I remember, Job was not even aware of the wager between God and Satan. That had to make it even harder. . .
Not sure if may rightly be described as a wager. But Job did not know. One reason the story was recounted was to explain the sort of accusations that Satan makes about us all. Like Job, we may not always see how our own trials fit in; but we can be certain that God will set things right in the end.

Remember that Job was not a Jew.
0 Replies

FBM

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 06:50 pm
Right or wrong, they're bleeding fans:

Quote:
Generational and Time Period Differences in American Adolescents’ Religious Orientation, 1966–2014

Abstract

In four large, nationally representative surveys (N = 11.2 million), American adolescents and emerging adults in the 2010s (Millennials) were significantly less religious than previous generations (Boomers, Generation X) at the same age. The data are from the Monitoring the Future studies of 12th graders (1976–2013), 8th and 10th graders (1991–2013), and the American Freshman survey of entering college students (1966–2014). Although the majority of adolescents and emerging adults are still religiously involved, twice as many 12th graders and college students, and 20%–40% more 8th and 10th graders, never attend religious services. Twice as many 12th graders and entering college students in the 2010s (vs. the 1960s–70s) give their religious affiliation as “none,” as do 40%–50% more 8th and 10th graders. Recent birth cohorts report less approval of religious organizations, are less likely to say that religion is important in their lives, report being less spiritual, and spend less time praying or meditating. Thus, declines in religious orientation reach beyond affiliation to religious participation and religiosity, suggesting a movement toward secularism among a growing minority. The declines are larger among girls, Whites, lower-SES individuals, and in the Northeastern U.S., very small among Blacks, and non-existent among political conservatives. Religious affiliation is lower in years with more income inequality, higher median family income, higher materialism, more positive self-views, and lower social support. Overall, these results suggest that the lower religious orientation of Millennials is due to time period or generation, and not to age.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0121454
InfraBlue

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 10:19 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
You place the blame on the true God. The account does not support your belief. I can't force you to understand.

According to you he gave permission and he collaborated.

So, why are you backtracking now?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 2 Oct, 2015 02:00 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Right or wrong, they're bleeding fans:

I agree that the the trends in the study you cited are true, what do you make of it? Is it a good thing or bad? Is it a sign of the 'end times' as this trend was predicted in the bible or people getting fed up with BS religions?

Not that I would expect otherwise in an academic study but it always bugs me that belief in God is almost always conflated with 'religiosity'. I'd like to see a study that separated the two terms.

But mainly I wanted to ask what you mean by 'they're bleeding fans'?