So...if tomorrow is Good Friday, what's today?

Lustig Andrei

Fri 29 Mar, 2013 01:57 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

You know what the French say, don't you? One egg is an ouef.

God will get you for that, Rags.

[Brilliant!]
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 29 Mar, 2013 04:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Well, we've invented the Easter hare as well - at least, the first written source about it is in German Cool

Don't split hares with ME, mister. I have an endless supply and you.....well, we shall let it lie.
dlowan

Fri 29 Mar, 2013 04:28 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

You know what the French say, don't you? One egg is an ouef.

Dear goddess save me!
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 29 Mar, 2013 04:30 pm
@neko nomad,
neko nomad wrote:

O.K. Thursday. Fair to Middling Saturday.

So far my Saturday is lovely! I am getting a lie in, it has rained, I have cranked up the old iPad and the cats are playing with their spider game on it and I have an Easter fair to go to, followed by lunch.

0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 29 Mar, 2013 04:31 pm
@margo,
margo wrote:

dlowan wrote:

Love the rabbit. The photo above is living proof that humans are crazy!

Not all humans. Just the Germans! And their hares / rabbits! Smile

Hare brains?
Lustig Andrei

Fri 29 Mar, 2013 05:14 pm
@dlowan,
Hare today, gone tomorrow.
dlowan

Fri 29 Mar, 2013 05:16 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Ribbit.
Lustig Andrei

Fri 29 Mar, 2013 05:48 pm
@dlowan,
You talk like a Frog.
margo

Fri 29 Mar, 2013 09:31 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Maybe it should work on the "good; better; best" principle?

Good Friday; Better Saturday; Best Sunday! Then "All downhill Monday" and "Back to work Tuesday"
Lustig Andrei

Fri 29 Mar, 2013 09:54 pm
@margo,
I'll drink to that.
ehBeth

Fri 29 Mar, 2013 09:59 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
11:59 p.m. Friday

it was a good Friday
Lustig Andrei

Fri 29 Mar, 2013 10:01 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes it was. For me as well. (Only 6 p.m. here so technically I shouldn't be saying that this early. Smile)
margo

Fri 29 Mar, 2013 10:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
3.22pm Saturday here - and Saturday was/is better than Friday.....

high hopes for Sunday. Bloody lovely on the coast!
dlowan

Sat 30 Mar, 2013 12:55 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

You talk like a Frog.

Wee. Wee frog.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 30 Mar, 2013 12:56 am
@margo,
margo wrote:

Maybe it should work on the "good; better; best" principle?

Good Friday; Better Saturday; Best Sunday! Then "All downhill Monday" and "Back to work Tuesday"

By George , I think she's got it!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 30 Mar, 2013 12:57 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

11:59 p.m. Friday

it was a good Friday

5.26 pm Saturday here...and I'm pretty damn happy with it so far.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 30 Mar, 2013 12:58 am
@margo,
Glad you're there!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 30 Mar, 2013 02:08 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Don't split hares with ME, mister. I have an endless supply and you.....well, we shall let it lie.
How many hares, you say?
http://i49.tinypic.com/2qkklc7.jpg
dlowan

Sat 30 Mar, 2013 03:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Many.
Thewordoftruth

Sat 30 Mar, 2013 04:59 am

The Origin of Easter
The name Easter, used in many lands, is not found in the Bible. The book Medieval Holidays and Festivals tells us that “the holiday is named after the pagan Goddess of the Dawn and of Spring, Eostre.” And who was this goddess? “Eostre it was who, according to the legend, opened the portals of Valhalla to receive Baldur, called the White God, because of his purity and also the Sun God, because his brow supplied light to mankind,” answers The American Book of Days. It adds: “There is no doubt that the Church in its early days adopted the old pagan customs and gave a Christian meaning to them. As the festival of Eostre was in celebration of the renewal of life in the spring it was easy to make it a celebration of the resurrection from the dead of Jesus, whose gospel they preached.”
This adoption explains how in certain lands the Easter customs, such as Easter eggs, the Easter rabbit, and hot cross buns, came about. Concerning the custom of making hot cross buns, “with their shiny brown tops marked by a . . . cross,” the book Easter and Its Customs states: “The cross was a pagan symbol long before it acquired everlasting significance from the events of the first Good Friday, and bread and cakes were sometimes marked with it in pre-Christian times.”
Nowhere in Scripture do we find mention of these things, nor is there any evidence that the early disciples of Jesus gave them any credence. In fact, the apostle Peter tells us to “form a longing for the unadulterated milk belonging to the word, that through it [we] may grow to salvation.” (1 Peter 2:2) So why did the churches of Christendom adopt such obviously pagan symbols into their beliefs and practices?
The book Curiosities of Popular Customs answers: “It was the invariable policy of the early Church to give a Christian significance to such of the extant pagan ceremonies as could not be rooted out. In the case of Easter the conversion was peculiarly easy. Joy at the rising of the natural sun, and at the awakening of nature from the death of winter, became joy at the rising of the Sun of righteousness, at the resurrection of Christ from the grave. Some of the pagan observances which took place about the 1st of May were also shifted to correspond with the celebration of Easter.” Rather than steer clear of popular pagan customs and magical rites, the religious leaders condoned them and gave them “Christian significance.”
‘But is there any harm in that?’ you may wonder. Some think not. “When a religion such as Christianity comes to a people from outside, it adopts and ‘baptizes’ some of the folk customs which derive from older religions,” said Alan W. Watts, an Episcopal chaplain, in his book Easter—Its Story and Meaning. “It selects and weaves into the liturgy folk observances which seem to signify the same eternal principles taught by the Church.” To many, the fact that their church sanctioned these observances and treated them as holy is reason enough to accept them. But important questions are being overlooked. How does God feel about these customs? Has he given us any guidelines to follow in the matter?
Getting God’s Viewpoint
“Easter Day, the Feast of the Resurrection of Our Lord, is the greatest of all the festivals of the Christian Church,” said Christina Hole in her book Easter and Its Customs. Other writers concur. “No holy day or festival in the Christian year can compare in importance with Easter Sunday,” notes Robert J. Myers in the book Celebrations. That, however, raises some questions. If celebrating Easter is so important, why is there no specific command in the Bible to do so? Is there any record of Jesus’ early disciples observing Easter Sunday?
It is not that the Bible fails to give guidelines as to what should or should not be celebrated. God was very specific in this to the ancient nation of Israel, and as noted earlier, explicit instructions were given for Christians to continue observing the Memorial of Christ’s death. (1 Corinthians 11:23-26; Colossians 2:16, 17) An early edition of The Encyclopædia Britannica tells us: “There is no indication of the observance of the Easter festival in the New Testament, or in the writings of the apostolic Fathers. The sanctity of special times was an idea absent from the minds of the first Christians. . . . Neither the Lord nor his apostles enjoined the keeping of this or any other festival.”
Some feel that the joyousness of such festivals and the happiness they bring are sufficient justification for their observance. We can learn, however, from the occasion when the Israelites adopted an Egyptian religious practice and renamed it “a festival to Jehovah.” They too “sat down to eat and drink” and “got up to have a good time.” But their actions greatly angered Jehovah God, and he severely punished them.—Exodus 32:1-10, 25-28, 35.
God’s Word is very clear. There can be no sharing between the “light” of true beliefs and the “darkness” of Satan’s world; there can be no “harmony” between Christ and pagan worship. We are told: “‘Therefore get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’; ‘and I will take you in.’”—2 Corinthians 6:14-18.
As only the Memorial celebration—not Easter—is commanded in the Bible for Christians, it should be observed. So how can we celebrate it worthily?