So...if tomorrow is Good Friday, what's today?

dlowan

Wed 27 Mar, 2013 07:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
The pun I get...but why are you thirsty?
ehBeth

Wed 27 Mar, 2013 08:30 pm
@dlowan,
Today?

Today is work your hip flexor and hit that S-pose day.

http://www.isauras.com/products/wp-content/uploads/all-poses.jpg

funny, they never have little old lady avatars in those poses
dlowan

Wed 27 Mar, 2013 09:41 pm
@ehBeth,
EVERY day is that for you, Betheeeeee.

I see you have changed your hair.
ehBeth

Wed 27 Mar, 2013 10:04 pm
@dlowan,
it issssssss getting long isn't it

do you like the new colour combo?
dlowan

Wed 27 Mar, 2013 11:29 pm
@ehBeth,
Very much!
dlowan

Wed 27 Mar, 2013 11:31 pm
@dlowan,
Why does god watch the sparrows fall? I get why he might watch them DIE...if he intervened when they died, the world would be pullulating with sparrows....but to watch the poor little bastards fall over and do NOTHING?

What if they break their skinny little legs?

ehBeth

Thu 28 Mar, 2013 06:36 am
@dlowan,
Today is Thursday. Think about Poor Sparrows Day.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 28 Mar, 2013 07:58 am
Maundy Thursday is steeped in tradition with the monarch of the day giving out money to respected parishioners.
Quote:

The Queen and Prince Philip will attend the Royal Maundy Service at Christ Church Cathedral in Oxford later.

Her Majesty will distribute Maundy money to 87 men and 87 women from Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire to mark the Queen's 87 years of age.

The royal service is the first at the cathedral in St Aldate's since Charles I's reign in the 17th century.

Road closures in the area are in place from 10:30 to 15:30 GMT.

The recipients are all pensioners within the Oxford diocese, recommended by clergy and ministers, in recognition of service to the church and to the Oxford community.

The Very Reverend Christopher Lewis said of the Royal Maundy Service: "The last time it happened here was in 1644 when Charles I was thrown out of London and welcomed in Oxford."

He said holding the service at Christ Church meant "an enormous amount to this place, Oxfordshire and the Oxford diocese".

He added: "One is always a bit nervous about what things might go wrong but we are very pleased."

Royal Maundy Service
Each recipient receives two purses, one red and one white
The red purse will contain a £5 coin and 50 pence coin commemorating the 60th anniversary of The Queen's Coronation
The white purse will contain uniquely minted Maundy Money. This takes the form of silver one, two, three and four penny pieces, the sum of which equals the number of years the Monarch has years of age.
This year there will be 87 pennies-worth distributed.
All the coins are newly minted this year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-21954237

The maundy money is unique and highly sought after by collectors. A lot of the recipients will have received cash offers prior to the service.

Quote:
Maundy Thursday is part of the Christian celebration of Easter and commemorates the night of the Last Supper as told in the Bible.

At the Last Supper, Jesus commanded that we should love one another and washed the feet of his disciples as an act of kindness.

To celebrate Maundy Thursday, the pope traditionally washes and kisses the feet of 12 people - usually members of the church.

This year Pope Francis has decided he will wash the feet of young offenders at detention centre instead.

The Queen taking part in this year's Royal Maundy ceremony.
In the UK, the Queen takes part in the Ceremony of the Royal Maundy where she gives coins called Maundy money to deserving senior citizens.

The word Maundy comes from the mandate - or command - Jesus gave at the Last Supper. In many countries the day is known as Holy Thursday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/21967564

farmerman

Thu 28 Mar, 2013 08:02 am
@izzythepush,
Im feeling rather Maundy today. Maybe I need more cheese.
izzythepush

Thu 28 Mar, 2013 08:08 am
@farmerman,
Just imagine, if you were a bit younger, criminally inclined and Italian, you could have your feet washed by the pope.

Life doesn't get much better than that.
Ragman

Thu 28 Mar, 2013 08:26 am
@farmerman,
If it's Thursday, how can it be Maundy?

Seriously, after so many decades of seeing that word Maundy I'm finally looking it up (whilst washing my dog's feet):

"(Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) Christianity the ceremonial washing of the feet of poor persons in commemoration of Jesus' washing of his disciples' feet, re-enacted in some churches on Maundy Thursday"

It comes from Latin word for mandate...commandment ... or rite.
Ragman

Thu 28 Mar, 2013 08:29 am
@izzythepush,
Pope F. has a side-business. Francis Foot-wash. Motto: "Be Foot.loose and Francis-free"
farmerman

Thu 28 Mar, 2013 09:45 am
@Ragman,
We always change our socks every Holy Thuirsday, whether they need it or not.
ossobuco

Thu 28 Mar, 2013 10:04 am
@farmerman,
Holey Thursday, a special day at the golf courses.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 28 Mar, 2013 10:42 am
dlowan wrote:

maundy is a terrible name for a day, anyway.
It's called "Gründonnesrtag" ('Green Thursday') in German.
And that's more or less a translation from the Latin name for this day: dies viridium.

However, this Latin name only arose in the 17th century while the German name is known since the 11th century ....
Walter Hinteler

Thu 28 Mar, 2013 10:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
And since all the church bells are in Rome from today until Saturday night, ratchets are used instead as noisemakers.
http://i48.tinypic.com/34sjh39.jpg

This week is called "Karwoche", tomorrow is "Karfreitag", followed by "Karsamstag". (The prefix "Kar-" from the Old German kara means something like 'lament, grief, sorrow'.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Thu 28 Mar, 2013 03:08 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

You prob'ly just need to get your feet washed. Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Thu 28 Mar, 2013 04:43 pm
@izzythepush,
Crickey.....I hope they get a decent amount of dosh! Standing out there like a bunch of stunned plovers.
0 Replies

dlowan

Thu 28 Mar, 2013 04:44 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Fibre and a good stiff gin.
0 Replies

dlowan

Thu 28 Mar, 2013 04:44 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Just imagine, if you were a bit younger, criminally inclined and Italian, you could have your feet washed by the pope.

Life doesn't get much better than that.

You DEFINITELY need to get out more!
0 Replies