If Adam and Eve were created perfect, how could they sin?

BillRM

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2020 10:43 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Did the true God set a sinister trap? Or, did he just screw things up? Maybe some other explanation?

My question is not the Adam and Eve story but how and why could the head angel himself rebel against an all powerful god and also take half the angels with him
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2020 12:01 pm
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Oh, it's pretty sexist as it is.

That's because it's been interpreted as such. Did you not read what I said? It could be interpreted as a critique of sexism.

Apparently, you didn't read what you wrote, as a conditional.
livinglava

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2020 12:08 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

livinglava wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Oh, it's pretty sexist as it is.

That's because it's been interpreted as such. Did you not read what I said? It could be interpreted as a critique of sexism.

Apparently, you didn't read what you wrote, as a conditional.

Whenever you're confused, try just saying something and putting the word, "you" in italics to shift blame back toward the other person. That will create a distraction from the lack of relevant content in your post.

As long as there is a volley of blaming going on, you will be able to avoid engaging in meaningful discussion.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2020 06:35 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Maybe they weren't created perfect in the first place. It's possible that the author(s) of Genesis made that part up.

That they were not perfect, I think is a given.

But how else would you go about making satisfying company? This process of starting out with just the basic senses (and sentience) and then having to independently work out the various ways of dealing with other beings and choosing which ones to incorporate into your character - it’s just genius. Succeeding in that scenario is the only way you could be sure they could be trusted with the keys to your house.

They could have made it up but when the recipe turns out good you have to assume the cookbook was right.

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2020 06:48 pm
@ascribbler,
Quote:
Leadfoot Quote:
“it does seem to be a voluntary decision on the part of the blind.”

Forget the blind, you've seen god on several occasions.
Tell us all about it, especially since it was a voluntary decision.
Tell us oh solomon the wise.

While you're up, you'll need to get a wriggle on about knowing women.

'Seen him' would be exaggerating. I’ve encountered him on occasion but the light was too bright to look directly at him. At least that was my perception. What specifically would you like to know?

What is it about women you want me to know? I married several of them and was infatuated with a few others before realizing something was wrong with how I saw them.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2020 09:36 pm
@InfraBlue,
Eating a fruit was enough sin to damn the whole human race. Logic, anyone?
roger

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2020 09:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Disobedience of orders, don't you know.
hightor

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2020 10:18 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
They could have made it up but when the recipe turns out good you have to assume the cookbook was right.

That's a good line!

But what if the recipe turns out to be toxic?
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2020 10:24 am
@hightor,
Your mileage may vary.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2020 10:37 am
@hightor,
There's also the Gnostic interpretation which I'm reluctant to mention because of Greatest I am.

In that the serpent is acting on behalf of the true god, making sure they eat the apple in order to eventually achieve 'Gnosis.'

"God" is the demiurge reliant on stolen souls to exist which he needed to keep ignorant.

Obviously it's more bloody involved than that, but if you want more detail this is very good.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41J6RP0NMBL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2020 04:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Eating a fruit was enough sin to damn the whole human race. Logic, anyone?

There is zero logic in the Christian Bible.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2020 05:41 pm
@roger,
Such as where he commands people to kill unbelievers. "Stone them to death." That's the very definition of "murder," and a crime.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2020 07:10 am
@cicerone imposter,
You mean like we commanded men to kill Nazis, VC and IS because they were evil?

izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2020 07:34 am
@Leadfoot,
Speak for yourself. At the time I gave money to trade union workers collecting for North Vietnam. What was evil was what the foreign invaders were doing to the native population with napalm and agent orange causing birth defects that still afflicts them today.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2020 07:43 am
@izzythepush,
I think u missed the point, man. Were u also help'n the oven operators in Poland?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2020 09:44 am
@Leadfoot,
I wasn't alive at the time.

You missed the point by comparing the Vietnamese to the Nazis. Nazis go to other people's countries and slaughter them. The Vietnamese weren't the ones doing that.
livinglava

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2020 05:24 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I wasn't alive at the time.

You missed the point by comparing the Vietnamese to the Nazis. Nazis go to other people's countries and slaughter them. The Vietnamese weren't the ones doing that.

Are you implying there's moral superiority in slaughtering people intranationally rather than internationally?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 01:26 am
@livinglava,
I don't waste my time talking to simple minded fascists who will never understand what's happening.

I insist on ape like intelligence or higher, and that ain't you. So don't expect any more responses.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 07:07 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:

Two misses.

The point in my reply to CI was that he was being hypocritical in saying that God is automatically a criminal by commanding people to kill. CI himself was ready to do his part in nukeing countless people if commanded to.

The groups I mentioned were instances of men commanding the killing of others. I was not commenting on the morality of the wars themselves.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2020 08:26 am
@Leadfoot,
I've never killed anyone or fired a gun in anger.

You grouped the Vietnamese with the Nazis and IS. Any point you were trying went out of the window when you did that.

IS is a whole different story, a lot of the foot soldiers know very little about Islam but are motivated by injustice and a need to make a difference. They're exploited by the leadership.