If Adam and Eve were created perfect, how could they sin?

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2020 02:23 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Oh **** me. I thought i was talking to someone who had outgrown that.

OK, Ill update the mental picture of both you guys.

Pointing out logical fallacies is something to be "outgrown." Heh.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2020 02:24 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
You grouped the Vietnamese and the Nazis together. You did that and I responded accordingly.
Ditto. Your 'example' was barely comparative.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2020 02:30 pm
@izzythepush,
Figured as much.

So you actually believe there exists a societal law that says (Literally) -

Thou shalt NEVER use the word 'Nazi' in the same sentence with ANY other group, regardless of context or meaning.

That's really fucked up dude.

Ditto vikorr.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2020 02:34 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Figured as much.

So you actually believe there exists a societal law that says (Literally) -

Thou shalt NEVER use the word 'Nazi' in the same sentence as ANY other group, regardless of context or meaning.

That's really fucked up dude.

Ditto vikorr.

And a misconstruction to boot.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2020 02:40 pm
@InfraBlue,
5 second rule dude.
Fixed it, tasted fine.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2020 02:46 pm
@Leadfoot,
CI wrote:
Eating a fruit was enough sin to damn the whole human race. Logic, anyone?

Roger wrote:
Disobedience of orders, don't you know.

CI wrote:
Such as where he commands people to kill unbelievers. "Stone them to death." That's the very definition of "murder," and a crime.

Leadfoot wrote:
You mean like we commanded men to kill Nazis, VC and IS because they were evil?

You could here be saying ‘you denounce God without denouncing the US – because the America you defended as a serviceman has attacked to kill Nazis, VC and IS”

But saying so is still problematic, because as Izzy stated, the Nazis invaded other countries and needed to be stopped, while the VC did not invade other countries. That is to point out that there was much, much more justification to attack the Nazis, but because of your inclusion of other areas like Vietnam, your example becomes much more problematic, and Izzy’s comments have justification.

By contrast, the criticism of the concept that an entire species gets condemned for the disobedience of one man and one woman, has much more solid weight to it.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2020 02:48 pm
@Leadfoot,
One should think very carefully before comparing any group to Nazis if one doesn't want to derail the conversation.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2020 02:49 pm
@vikorr,
It was only afterwards I realised I'd used compare twice. I know.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2020 03:13 pm
@vikorr,
You know, this is just part of God giving me the fantasy (yet real) life that I had hoped for in my highest daydreams. I think he gives everyone a shot at it, so it pays to dream big.

Mine was inspired by SciFi writers early on. It wasn’t the exploration of space and that **** that attracted me, it was the stories of the lone man in an alien environment who had to figure it out in order to survive that intrigued me.
Another comparison seen later in life would being the lone sane man in an insane world, like the character Randal McMurphy in 'One Flew Over the CooCoo's Nest'. Totally dug it.

I didn’t seriously expect them to happen in my life, but in retrospect, I got exactly what I wanted.
I’m sure I’m not alone in that, you might think of yourself in the same way. I'm pretty sure Izzy does. **** me, what a cool sim this is.
livinglava

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2020 03:50 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

There's nothing wrong with my comprehension, I'm an English teacher.

It's fairly straightforward, the minute you compare or group anyone with the Nazis people are naturally going to assume you're comparing them to the Nazis.

It's not rocket science, and I'm amazed that after two pages of this the penny still hasn't dropped.

Sometimes English teachers think too much on a rhetorical level and fail to think about deeper levels of complexity that exist beyond language, which some people have a hard time expressing with total accuracy, especially when they don't know the reader well enough to know they can/will follow a more complex explanation.

Either way, you should try to think beyond the rhetorical level a bit. There are nuances beyond what are immediately superficially evident in the way something is written. It's easy to infer things that aren't accurate just because the writer doesn't have the exact words to explain something perfectly.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2020 03:51 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Yeah, Reductio ad Hitlerum arguments tend to kill any discussion not specifically about Hitler and Nazis.

Don't be such a nazi regarding Hitler/nazi comparisons
izzythepush

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2020 05:24 pm
@Leadfoot,
Have you read much Philip K Dick?
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2020 04:50 am
@izzythepush,
Not the full catalogue, but enough to be considered a Dick head.

To answer a previous comment, never been professionally diagnosed but I probably am on the spectrum. So glad Elon made it cool.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2020 05:03 am
@Leadfoot,
Transmigrations of Timothy Archer is one of the most straightforward accounts of Gnosticism I've come across.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2020 05:08 am
@izzythepush,
Hmmm, not sure about that one, will have to check.
But it’s the same with Bradbury, I can remember the spat of the golden bees dropped on the floor, but not the book title.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2020 05:12 am
@Leadfoot,
I was not comparing myself to Elon btw.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2020 05:17 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
Don't be such a nazi regarding Hitler/nazi comparisons

Good one!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2020 05:20 am
@Leadfoot,
It's about a Californian hippy type Christian minister in the 70s/80s.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2020 05:36 am
@izzythepush,
Thought that rang a bell but when I checked, it was “The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch” I was thinking of.
I’ll look that one up with the Gnostics in mind.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2020 05:40 am
@Leadfoot,
That's very different. I liked it even though, Be choosy, Chew Chew z doesn't work with my accent and pronunciation.

Some of his stuff is very un SF. The Man Whose Teeth were all Exactly Alike is about a Piltdown Man type hoax that turns out to be a birth defect caused by unsafe drinking water.
0 Replies