What does "fancy" mean in "I think you are fancy"?

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 04:36 pm

Does it mean "I think you are over-imaginative and superficial and not down-to-earth"?

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 05:13 pm
@oristarA,
What is the context of the sentence? The word "fancy" can have several different meanings, depending on usage.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 05:37 pm
@oristarA,
Andy is right of course, it could mean several different things depending on circumstance

You're overdressed
You charge too much
You imagine yourself impressive, important, or clever
I don't believe that you actually exist
0 Replies

Ceili
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 05:48 pm
@oristarA,
Generally, when someone says someone else is fancy, they are speaking about how that person dresses, or how they wear their hair, the complete package. It can be an insult or a compliment, depending on the fancy persons fashion or style.
A 'flight of fancy' would mean a person has imaginative thoughts.
Neither superficial or down-to-earth would apply, because these terms are usually about their personality, more than the wrapping.
As an aside, a fancy woman in Ireland is generally a kept woman, or the woman a married man is having an affair with. But in Canada, If I called someone here fancy it would either mean a woman is in a beautiful dress, or more likely a little girl or boy who dressed up for a big event. Or as in most cases, like, say a homeless person or slob or a friend who normally doesn't anything but jeans and tee shirt gets gussied up, if one of them was wearing a tiara, I'd would say they look fancy. Wink

Hope that makes sense.
JTT

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 08:45 pm
@Ceili,
It sounded like Izzy's description of cricket, Ceili, but in this case I understood perfectly.
0 Replies