Mitch McConnell's Statement About Hillary

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 02:21 pm
Mitch McConnell just showed us the Republican Party's true colors.

He actually told a crowd that Hillary Clinton looks like she's from "a rerun of the 'Golden Girls.'"

It's unclear why McConnell and his fellow Republicans think it's OK to engage in sexist attacks toward someone who's devoted her entire career to public service. But whatever the reason, it's just wrong.

[Moreover, he of all people should not allude to a person's looks.]

-- Progressive.org

stopsexismagainstmen

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 11:56 am
@Advocate,
Is there really a problem with comparing someone to someone off a TV show? If they look like someone, they look like someone. What's wrong with stating it?

Day in, day out, you hear complaints about how women are objectified because there's an advert with a woman in underwear or a low cut top. Firstly, I assume this is simply jealousy as many people are carrying a few extra pounds.

Secondly, there are ample tv ads which 'objectify' men. Here are some examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuHV4gwSXn4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRIVd7yWIWY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeC0O9akIVU

Not on of these adverts has been complained about on mass scales and had any ban or news coverage.

Maybe it's time to start worrying about objectifying men?
Advocate

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 05:24 pm
@stopsexismagainstmen,
There is quite a bit of difference between the very negative objectivism by McConnell of Hillary and the positive objectivism of men given in your examples. It is apples and oranges. Maybe both portrayals are unfortunate.
revelette2

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 06:53 am
Republicans are the worst when it comes to making objects of women, I mean they don't seem to use any woman is who is less than spectacular in looks much or at least thought so by them. They have been making jokes about Hillary for years, they regularly make disparaging comments about Michelle Obama, Pelosi...

In general it seems men are allowed to grow old and still be considered viable and no one refers to their looks when they do get older on the same scale as they do women in politics and other media situations such as actors and TV anchors. It is just the way it is and always has been.

Concerning Mitch McConnell, I despise him, I will be glad when the day comes he is finally forced to retire, as I doubt he will ever loose an election in KY, although it seems like they allow senators to linger even when they have hobble up the isle...so I will probably be old myself, getting up there already.
parados

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 08:04 am
@Advocate,
I'm going to give McConnell a pass on this one since many compare him to Yertle the Turtle.

Yes, it's a little worse when an actual politician does it but comparing her look to a TV show isn't much when it comes to derogatory comments.
revelette2

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 06:39 am
@parados,
Perhaps, but it is a reference to her getting older.
djjd62

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 06:55 am
@revelette2,
is she getting younger?

i quite like hillary as a person, but people already call her the worst thing you can call a human being, they call her a politician
Trollpatrol

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 07:44 am
Mitch can go fall off a bar stool, for all I care, the man is a tool. But, Hillary Clinton recently condemned Edward Snowden, in public, while campaigning for President.

Which is worse?
Advocate

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 09:05 am
@Trollpatrol,
Snowden should be condemned. A nation needs to have state secrets, and should have laws against their disclosure. If you study Snowden, you will learn that he was not formerly opposed to state secrets. However, he saw an opportunity to make a name for himself by releasing a massive amount of secret information. He certainly should not be admired.
Trollpatrol

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 09:14 am
@Advocate,
Snowden saw an opportunity to make a name for himself.

lol!
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 10:21 am
@djjd62,
To be perfectly honest, I haven't been too impressed with her since 2008, I guess she did ok as secretary of state, but I wasn't exactly impressed with her performance at the Benghazi hearings though I thought the whole thing a witch hunt, no pun intended. I mean her line most democrats (of which obviously I am) was impressed with, I thought did more damage than anything Susan Rice or Obama said put together, but that's just my own personal opinion. It was just too flippant when they were dealing with the deaths of four people regardless of witch hunt the republicans were on.

I hope Biden runs and Hillary does not, but I doubt I will get that lucky.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 10:27 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
although it seems like they allow senators to linger even when they have hobble up the isle

American politicians seem to skew old (from my perspective). I think Mr. McConnell should be long retired. I feel the same way about Ms. Clinton.

Your next president should be younger than Mr. Obama, not older.
revelette2

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 01:16 pm
@ehBeth,
I really don't think age matters one way or another as much as one, a person's qualifications and two their health in regards to how they can handle their job.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 03:03 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:

I really don't think age matters one way or another as much as one, a person's qualifications and two their health in regards to how they can handle their job.

I agree, age is unimportant especially compared to the vast array of experience and knowledge accumulated by Hillary Clinton. If she is healthy I do not foresee a problem, especially since science has made such strides in medical research.....people are living longer and are more actice. Ronald Reagan was almost 70 years old when he was first elected to the US presidency.....A lot has to do with the individual personal stamina and makeup; Hillary's determination to be president of the US is so overwhelming that only someone unforeseen at this time could unseat her.

The only force making age a problem for Hillary is the GOP....and boy have they started their tirade about how "old and tired she looks." Clinton's poll ratings are in the 60s, far ahead of any possible GOP candidates and VP Biden. It seems more Americans want her to run than those who don't.

PS Even though Hillary seem like the inevitable Democratic Presidential candidate, there is Elizabeth Warren, a a remarkable or exceptional person....a phenomenon really, who could very well give Hillary a scare, although Warren says emphatically, she's not planning a run for the presidency.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 03:20 pm
@Trollpatrol,
Hillary is to my right, politically; I'll vote for her if I have to.
She finally lost me when she said something about hoping Gaddafi would be killed. (no link). And he sure was. I'm no Gaddafi fan, but there is a court system.
I didn't know about the Snowden comment, but that would be expected. Sane people can disagree on Snowden, even me with myself, but I'm glad he was around and acted. It was what I'll call wake up knowledging the masses, us.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 03:29 pm
@ehBeth,
I get your point. I think the tunnels of political infrastructure just continue, with oldies.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 03:35 pm
@ehBeth,
[quote="ehBeth"Your next president should be younger than Mr. Obama, not older.[/quote]

if you guys in the south could get over that whole must be born in the country thing, a young canadian go getter name of Nigel Wright would be just up the republicans alley
0 Replies

Trollpatrol

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 03:42 pm
@ossobuco,
If voting actually changed anything fundamental in US society it would be outlawed. I don't want Jeb Bush in the White House any more than I want her there. I would only vote for an independent candidate. Capitalism is a failure, i won't prop up the liberal wing of it so that I can have a few more table scraps. Been there, done that, and it hasn't improved life for the vast majority since the threat of communism loomed over the American ruling class in the early part of the last century.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 06:24 am
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
The only force making age a problem for Hillary is the GOP....and boy have they started their tirade about how "old and tired she looks." Clinton's poll ratings are in the 60s, far ahead of any possible GOP candidates and VP Biden. It seems more Americans want her to run than those who don't.

I know she would probably blow Biden out of the water, he usually puts his foot in it some way or another which is why I hope she actually don't run in the end, like I said though, I doubt I get that lucky.

I haven't really kept up with Warren much, I know she has a lot to say regarding inequality between the rich and the poor, but that is about the extent of what I know about her. Even knowing as little as I do about her, I would rather her run than Hillary too.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 08:42 am
@Moment-in-Time,
Moment-in-Time wrote:
Ronald Reagan was almost 70 years old when he was first elected to the US presidency

That's not much of an argument for elderly presidents.
0 Replies