Very Low Hemoglobin, B12 and folic acid deficit

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 03:08 am
I'm very worried about my mother's health - lately she's been complaining a lot about work and saying that she feels tired and I noticed she lost some weight, in spite of eating the same amount as ever - and she eats healthily too.
However, most of the time she looks strong and keeps her spirit up, so I thought it was all stress related and didn't think much about it.

Yesterday she decided to do some blood analysis and her hemoglobin was very low (6g) and the results also showed deficit of B12 vitamin and folic acid. I really don't know much more yet. She was immediatly sent to emergency room where she got a blood transfusion, which took about three hours. Lately she confessed that she was finding it very hard to climb stairs, even a few.

She's going to be 60 in two weeks. The X-Ray and the abdominal ecography were fine. The doctor said they really didn't know much, that these symptoms could relate to a number of things and they will have to perform more exams (endoscopy, colonoscopy and other blood tests) in order to find out what may be causing the problem.

Besides feeling tired, she really doesn't complain about anything - she hasn't noticed any changes, or pain, or whatever - she says she just feels tired.

Could this be an easy problem to solve or a sign of a very serious problem? I'm thinking, if it was stomach or intestine related she (almost) surely have some other symptoms, right?

I know none of you can tell me for sure but I really just need to know what you think and put my mind at rest (or not - just need to feel prepared for whatever ir may be).

jespah

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 03:59 am
@Christie9,
I am not a doctor - let me just get this out there right away.

I'd suggest her being checked for anemia, and also for any thyroid issues as those can also cause fatigue, although low thyroid is associated more with weight gain than with loss. Plus I'd suggest she be evaluated psychologically, as fatigue and depression go hand in hand.

Apart from that, of course, listen to the doctors.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 07:58 am
@Christie9,
A 60 year old woman with a 6gm hemoglobin is either bleeding internally or not producing red blood cells for some reason. If she's bleeding internally then she'll have a positive occult blood result in her stools (ask her if her stools have been dark and tarry lately). The B12 deficiency and the rest of her symptoms might be a sign of pernicious anemia (which isn't nearly as pernicious as it used to be). Once considered a fatal diagnosis, PA can now be treated as a chronic condition. There are other things that can cause anemia and B12 deficiencies that need to get ruled out -- tape worms, for instance can mimic PA.

If she's bleeding then they'll want to find the source and fix it surgically. If it's PA then she'll be treated with B12 supplements. There is some good information on PA at this wikipedia page
0 Replies