Have anyone else taken note concerning the Boy Scouts

BillRM

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 08:44 am
With all the pressure toward removing the ban on gays being Boy Scouts there seems to be zero attention on the other group that is being ban from the Scouts IE atheists and agonists.

A groups that should be similar to the size of the gay group in the population with anywhere from three percents to ten percents of the US being non-believers.

http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_atheist.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 10,654 • Replies: 140

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 08:48 am
Apples and oranges, here, Bill.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 08:52 am
@BillRM,
whats an "Agonist"?, Is that someone continuously in a state of agony?
farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 08:57 am
@farmerman,
Found it, Im sure others may not know so
an "agonist" is the use of one muscle's flexure to passively exercise and strengthen an opposing muscle. (Sorta like Chas ATlas "Dynamic Tension " ). What does that have to do with anything?
BillRM

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 09:00 am
@farmerman,
Very funny farmerman an I will need to make note of making fun of your similar posting errors in the future.

Now would anyone care to address the issue of a group roughly the same size as gays being ban from the scouts for religion reasons or not?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 09:04 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

whats an "Agonist"?, Is that someone continuously in a state of agony?

Maybe he meant "agronomist"? A person involved with ...
Quote:
a·gron·o·my
[uh-gron-uh-mee]
noun
the science of soil management and the production of field crops.
Also, ag·ro·nom·ics [ag-ruh-nom-iks]

BillRM

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 09:06 am
@tsarstepan,
Ok guys if you fear to address the issue I will down check my own thread.

Once more does anyone wish to address this matter or not?
farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 09:07 am
@tsarstepan,
ARGGHH!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 09:07 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Very funny farmerman an I will need to make note of making fun of your similar posting errors in the future.

Now would anyone care to address the issue of a group roughly the same size as gays being ban from the scouts for religion reasons or not?

You do realize that the support for gay integration holds far more national support then that of atheists integration into the organization. It's merely a popularity contest why the gay issue is more popular and gaining much more media attention then the atheist exclusion issue. There's going to be needed a huge cultural shift more accepting to atheism in this country before this is going to be addressed. Likely never will happen in our lifetimes.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 09:09 am
Is having sex with a child the same thing as forcing (or not forcing) a child to pray with you?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 09:09 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Ok guys if you fear to address the issue I will down check my own thread.

Once more does anyone wish to address this matter or not?

You truly are an absolute boor/bore Bill. Get over yourself. This isn't the greatest civil rights issue of our time. This coming from someone who has and always will be an atheist.
BillRM

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 09:12 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
eeded a huge cultural shift more accepting to atheism in this country before this is going to be addressed. Likely never will happen in our lifetimes.

Kind of amusing to me that a number of our founding fathers could not had been scouts along with a large percents of our scientists and other movers shakers in our society over their religion believes or lack of same.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 09:25 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
This isn't the greatest civil rights issue of our time.

Try selling that to thousands of children who are given a choice every year of lying about their believes or not being scout the same choice that gay children are now being given concerning their sexuality.

It is no better and no worst in my value system to denial non believers the right to be scouts then to do the same to gay children.

Hell it go against the very foundation ideal of our nation where no religion test is allow for any position/office in the nation under our constitution.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 10:09 am
@tsarstepan,
YES, It is very politically correct to be in suppoprt of anything gay but its still considered a major violation of natural law to be an atheist or an agronomist.

ANYWAY, scouting is so irrelevant
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 10:11 am
I knew an agronomist once't . . . he wouldn't plant a garden because he could not know what would come up . . .
farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 10:15 am
@Setanta,
HA!. See I knew you had it in you!.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 11:24 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Is having sex with a child the same thing as forcing (or not forcing) a child to pray with you?

HUH? Did you just equate homosexuals and pedophiles? What the hell does allowing gays into the Boy Scouts have to do with having sex with a child?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 11:52 am
When I was a Boy Scout and the national HQ was in New Jersey, there was none of this right wing lunacy about it. Scouting was all about tieing knots and freezing your ass off in hopelessly inadequate sleeping bags in drafty tents in the dead of winter, and eating partially raw hamburgers sort-of-cooked over smoky campfires. In other words, it was fun and. loosely speaking, educational. Then they moved the HQ to Texas and got extremely fundamentalist and seemingly semi-fascist.

I left the Scouts because they were really whitebread--suburban white kid focussed, and ignoring minorities (this was the 60s) (My dad volunteered with HQ for years, and I bitched to him, and I think converted him and he talked to them), and because I was becoming an atheist, and because it just wassn't cool and hip. But there's definitely a movement afoot to take the organization back from the zealots. There actually does seem to be a strong subsidiary stream of protest against the Scouting ban on atheists and agnostics in the controversy now, as well as the mainstream against their anti-gay attitudes. Take 'em down on both of the grounds, and force 'em into the 21st century. Speaking of getting them into this century, getting them out of Texas would probably help.
farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 04:05 pm
@MontereyJack,
I joined the Explorers for a time (then I quit to join the Civil Air Patrol). The scout master of the Explorer Pack was a gay guy, that was undeniable. He was full of wood lore but with style. he had us make meals by campfire but we had to serve em up in interesting presentations and trimmings. He was always having us red up our tent areas and, we built a log cabin on his fathers woodlands , the design of which was more like a victorian "cottage" than a simple Adirondack.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 12:04 am
@BillRM,
Don't let it bother you Bill, FM's spelling is so unapologetically atrocious he will certainly give you a chance to retaliate.

Mine too for that matter which is why I try to avoid such snarky comments, but sometimes certain mistakes just pull you in...

0 Replies