Have anyone else taken note concerning the Boy Scouts

BillRM

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 01:55 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
It's almost like joining Congress, or in court etc where swearing on the bible is a "ritual." Many people taking the oath are non-religious but to get the deed over with we go along with our custom.

The constitution clearly state that no religion test can be apply to Federal or state offices and that you can confirm not swear when you promise to uphold the constitution in the Presidential oath for example No god or bible needed.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 02:08 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
It's almost like joining Congress, or in court etc where swearing on the bible is a "ritual." Many people taking the oath are non-religious but to get the deed over with we go along with our custom.

@BillRM
Quote:
The constitution clearly state that no religion test can be apply to Federal or state offices and that you can confirm not swear when you promise to uphold the constitution in the Presidential oath for example No god or bible needed.

Who is referring to a "religious test"!? One takes an "Oath" (which is the same as swearing in, i.e., sworn in) when becoming President, VP, Congress and Senate etc.
BillRM

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 02:27 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Sorry taking an oath does not need to be to some god or gods or whatever it can be on your personal honor for example.

An once more the word swear is not needed and that was put there for the reason by our founding fathers in order to keep religion requirements out of the oath of office for any position under the government.

Quote:
Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:— “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 02:33 pm
@barbieNony66,
oh look
the newest copying poster
blerghhh
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 12:23 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
The above facts of it being in the oath forever does not made it morally right and I am sure that there are a lot of gays as well as atheists who decided to take this morally wrong oath in bad faith.

Heck why stop at gay and atheist children?
Aren't Christian children being asked to violate their traditions by swearing oaths?

James 5:12 wrote:
But above all, my brothers, do not swear, neither by heaven nor the earth, nor any other oath. But let your "Yes," be "Yes," and your "No," "No," so that you may not fall into hypocrisy.-- English Majority Text

Or the King James Version for a bit of dramatic flair.
James 5:12 wrote:
But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.

Is there a badge for drama?
There ought to be.
farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 04:31 am
@MattDavis,
Most scout troops that I recall from my kidhood were spoinsored by various churches or synagogues. SO we often had whole groups ofjust BAptist or Jewish scouts at " Jamborees".
While it was never a big deal at our Explorer Troup about which church one belonged to, the Explorer troup leadership council was, on the main, pretty smug about their religious affiliations. I, being raised Catholic, was considered to be not even a Christian but some statue worshipping mackerel snapper.

Lota brotherhood in the scouts.
Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 06:29 am
Militant atheists are just as annoying as militant Christians, and have less excuse, since they are always on about delusions and fairy tales.
MattDavis

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 07:23 am
@farmerman,
I remember wanting to be in the scouts when I was younger. I was back and forth to much in "shared custody" between my mom and dad to be able to attend. One of my brothers spend some time in the scouts. He seemed to enjoy it. He left before Eagle scouts. This would have been in the 1990s.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 07:27 am
@Setanta,
Quote:

Militant atheists are just as annoying as militant Christians, and have less excuse, since they are always on about delusions and fairy tales.

LOL why the hell should we not go on about fairy tales that have a long history of bringing pain and suffering to a large part of the human race over history?

Shouting god is great as religion idiots fly planes into buildings or blow themselves up in the middle of crowds for example.

Limiting young men ability to bond with young women in the real world and then promising them 72 virgins in the afterlife if only they will spill the blood of both themselves and strangers is only one example of the kind of nonsense religion faiths bring into the world.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 04:36 pm
Ir's been a long time since I was a Scout, but I can still recite all the points of the Scout Oath or Pledge, or Laws, or whatever they are off the top of my head (I remember them all, I just don't remember what it was called):

A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, reverent, happy, bashful, sleepy, sneezy, grumpy, dopey, and doc.

That's the way we learned it. The last seven have proved surprisingly useful in trivia contests, the previous twelve not so much.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 04:53 pm
@MontereyJack,
On my honor I will try to do my duty to God and my country, to help other people and all times, and to obey the Girl Scout Laws. That was 1953 or '54. I only earned one badge (red cross). Got a couple of trips out of it (Wisconsin, camping and making pancakes on big old coffee cans; Washington, DC, which was memorable for me getting my first period while climbing the washington monument and then disappearing for hygiene reasons, thus having the scout adults running around out of their minds). Oh, and Mrs. Radcliffe gave us some cooking classes (biscuits, popovers, brownies, I think).
BillRM

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 05:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Washington, DC, which was memorable for me getting my first period while climbing the washington monument

Mt memory of climbing the monument was having one of my eight grade teachers who kept telling us not to climb the monument but to used the elevator instead and then passing her husband who was all most passed out at the middle way point in the climb on a bench.

Neither her students or her husband seems to had listen to her on that day at least.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 05:23 pm
@ossobuco,
oops - at all times
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 05:30 pm
@BillRM,
Yeh, I took the stairs, didn't make it all the way up. I think there were something like 566 steps and I made it to 470 or something before I turned around in great stress and walked back down. Total dumbo in action that day.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 06:05 pm
For all the good the Boy Scouts do, does it really make sense to spend a lot of energy giving them grief when there are far, far worse organizations out there?

Anyone who rises above the crowd is a target for the stunted.

When the world is a much better place, it may be time to take on the Boy Scouts.
BillRM

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 06:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
For all the good the Boy Scouts do, does it really make sense to spend a lot of energy giving them grief when there are far, far worse organizations out there?

Well to me as they hold themselves out as being the primary youth organization for boys and as such having them shunning boys for being gay or for being non-believers is a far worst "sin" then a lower profile organization.

One lesson I would not wish the next generation to come away with is that it is ok to shunned people for not being in the majority concerning their religious believes or lack of same or their sexual orientation
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 06:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

For all the good the Boy Scouts do,

Such as?

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
does it really make sense to spend a lot of energy giving them grief

Sure. Why not give them grief if there are things about them that deserve being grieved about, such as teaching intolerance?

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
when there are far, far worse organizations out there?

And, they deserve to be called out for their grievances too.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Anyone who rises above the crowd is a target for the stunted.

When the world is a much better place, it may be time to take on the Boy Scouts.

There are Boy Scouts in my neighborhood. There are Boy Scouts throughout my community. They are no longer allowed to hold their meetings in our schools because of their discriminatory policies. They meet in churches instead. The USSC has indicated that private organizations can have discriminatory admission policies. That doesn't mean that the public at large has to provide them a place to meet or that those boys shouldn't know that the lessons they're being taught in their club are discriminatory.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 07:43 pm
@JPB,
"Such as?"

Really?

Hey, if you want to get off on taking pot shots at prominent organizations that don't meet your ideology (not-with-standing all the good they do) have at it.

If you really think that the Boy Scouts are among the top three, ten or one hundred of organizations that warrant your energy you are either someone who has no rational perspective or someone who spreads their energy so thin it is meaningless.

JPB

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 07:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Really.

I've obviously never been a Boy Scout and in all of the places I've lived I've never, ever, once seen a group of Boy Scouts out "doing good". I have seen them selling popcorn, but other than that, I can't think of a single time I've ever seen a group of Boy Scouts out and about. The few individuals I know who were Scouts were nice kids but I think they would have been nice kids even if they weren't BS.

So, yes, really. Enlighten me. What is "all the good that they do" which outweighs the fact that they are being taught that it's ok to discriminate against their brothers, cousins, and classmates?
JPB

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 08:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

If you really think that the Boy Scouts are among the top three, ten or one hundred of organizations that warrant your energy you are either someone who has no rational perspective or someone who spreads their energy so thin it is meaningless.

This has nothing to do with me. Why are you trying to make it about me?

I was glad when our school board evicted the BS from meeting at our schools but I didn't spend any energy trying to make that happen. The energy I've spent on the BS amounts to refusing to buy their popcorn and writing a post on A2K that took me about 1.5 minutes.