Boy Scout Leader Toppled Ancient Utah Rock

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 06:54 pm
Hang 'em high -

Authorities are mulling whether to press charges against a Boy Scouts leader who purposely knocked over an ancient Utah desert rock formation and against the two men who cheered him on after they posted video of the incident online.

Two of the men, who were leading a group of teenage Boy Scouts on a trip, said the top of the rock formation was loose and they feared it was dangerous.

"This is about saving lives," Dave Hall, who shot the video, told The Associated Press on Friday. "One rock at a time."

The rock formation at Goblin Valley State Park is about 170 million years old, Utah State Parks spokesman Eugene Swalberg said. The central Utah park is dotted with thousands of the eerie, mushroom-shaped sandstone formations.

In a video shot last Friday and posted on Facebook, Glenn Taylor of Highland can be seen wedging himself between a formation and a boulder to knock a large rock off the formation's top. Taylor and his two companions can then be seen cheering, high-fiving and dancing.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/charges-toppled-ancient-utah-rock-20612183
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 3,405 • Replies: 24

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 07:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
"This is about saving lives," Dave Hall, who shot the video, told The Associated Press on Friday. "One rock at a time."
clearly these chaps have caught on to how "SAFETY!" is the excuse for all attacks on liberty. it should be expected to always work, since it always does.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 07:09 pm
Jeeze, what a dope. Whose liberty was attacked? The rock's?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 07:15 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Jeeze, what a dope. Whose liberty was attacked? The rock's?
lets dumb it down for you...."safety!" is used constantly to cover for bad acts done against us, and so this guy thinks it should work to cover for his bad act. monkey see monkey do.
Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 07:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
Leaving aside the improbable and undemonstrated nature of your silly claim, let's dumb it down for you. There is no correlation between this act of vandalism, and anybody's liberties being infringed. Your bullshit, and that's all it is, is a big non sequitur. You're just attempting to coast off this story to drag out one of your typical, trollish rants.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 07:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think the guy was dead wrong in what he did but I wonder just on what specific charges he could be brought to court.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 07:59 pm
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 08:04 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
I wonder just on what specific charges he could be brought to court.

Rockin`& Rollin`
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 08:05 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

I think the guy was dead wrong in what he did but I wonder just on what specific charges he could be brought to court.
vandalism should work, though in some places there are more specific laws against changing the landscape. i once read that in Galapagos it is illegal to even move anything.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 08:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Those idiots were in charge of a boy scout group?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 08:24 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Those idiots were in charge of a boy scout group?

Yeah, that's more disturbing than anything.
roger

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 08:50 pm
Looked like that rock kind of teetered around and almost fell on the guy when he was between it and another rock. How's that for safety?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 08:35 am
If the rock was a safety concern, they should have reported it and given the people responsible a chance to rope it off and put up warning signs, or whatever THEY thought best.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 08:47 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

State officials say anyone involved in the incident may be charged with anything from a misdemeanor to a second-degree felony, depending on what financial value the state puts on the toppled rock.
JTT

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 11:16 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Those boys better get moving. There are thousands, no millions of potential rock falls that are way more dangerous than that one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delicate_Arch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arches_National_Park

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Mountains

They don't have a leg to stand on with that bullshit "safety" line.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 04:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
There are plenty of warning signs at several of the Nat Parks where arches, peds, needles etc are found. There should be a sense of respect and common sense. Thi guy took it upon himself to decide that this particular ped was unable to be "left alone" nd enjoyed as for what it is, a natural occurrence that will, someday, come crashing down. Until that day, lets enjoy its particular form of instability.

We have several of those kinds in PA, except in much older rock fomations, and these have stood for , obviously, several hundreds of millennia longer, no problems, no vandals, no idiots like this "scout leader"

He should be ceremoniously drummed out of being a Scout role model and then fined and invoiced for the full cost of restoration .( including the crane to reset and spike the rock back together)/Itll probably cost about 20 K (if they don't use a govt contractor)

I was on Jungfrau several decades ago and, while hiking, we came across a large hunk of SPRAY CAN grfitti in German that was a statement from Kollwit on "No more War" on a "slickenside" rock face. It was left to weather off(apparently it was written in the time jut after WWII.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 04:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
There are plenty of warning signs at several of the Nat Parks where arches, peds, needles etc are found. There should be a sense of respect and common sense. Thi guy took it upon himself to decide that this particular ped was unable to be "left alone" nd enjoyed as for what it is, a natural occurrence that will, someday, come crashing down. Until that day, lets enjoy its particular form of instability.

We have several of those kinds in PA, except in much older rock fomations, and these have stood for , obviously, several hundreds of millennia longer, no problems, no vandals, no idiots like this "scout leader"

He should be ceremoniously drummed out of being a Scout role model and then fined and invoiced for the full cost of restoration .( including the crane to reset and spike the rock back together)/Itll probably cost about 20 K (if they don't use a govt contractor)

I was on Jungfrau several decades ago and, while hiking, we came across a large hunk of SPRAY CAN grfitti in German that was a statement from Kollwit on "No more War" on a "slickenside" rock face. It was left to weather off(apparently it was written in the time jut after WWII.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 05:50 am
@edgarblythe,
I think those guys are complete assholes and their excuse for vandalizing a national part on the grounds of safety is utter bullshit. They should each be fined the equivalent of one-year's salary, the Boy Scouts should kick them out, and they should be banned from all National Parks forever.

Suppose I walked into Carlsbad Caverns and started knocking down stalactites because I claimed they might fall on somebody (and filmed myself doing it and whooping it up with a buddy) and then visited Redwood National Forest and started burning down trees because there was a danger they might drop a branch on somebody... I don't see what they did as being a whole lot different.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 05:51 am
I agree that they should not get away with it. They should also have a lifetime ban on visiting national parks.
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 06:14 am
@edgarblythe,
thatd be good too, except that you don't need to present ID to get in (Unless youre over 62 and wanna get in for free)
0 Replies