Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 12:03 pm
The day of the (dreaded, dreading) exam had finally arrived, causing much anxiety.
The (escaped, escaping) refugees managed to reach safety before they had been missed.
The (hated, hating) emperor was violently attacked by the peasants.
The (planned, planning) committee has unanimously approved the company's proposal.
Senator Hawthorne addressed the college (graduated, graduating) class.

Those sentences are really confusing me.
Could you let me know the correct answer and the reason why?
Thank you so much..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,028 • Replies: 11
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by jangsunny1030
dalehileman
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 04:21 pm
@jangsunny1030,
dreaded ("dreading" tho technically okay implies the exam itself dreads; may be it's somehow alive)

escaping (tho "escaped" is ok too, slight diff in meaning, but not collo)

hated ("hating" means the emperor hates)

planning ("planned" means it hasn't yet even been organized in which case of course it couldn't approve anything)

graduating (Dunno why)
jangsunny1030

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2013 10:42 am
@dalehileman,
Thank you. Smile
dalehileman

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2013 10:50 am
@jangsunny1030,
Quite welcome Jang

For what it's worth

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2013 12:26 pm
@jangsunny1030,
Quote:
The day of the (dreaded, dreading) exam had finally arrived, causing much anxiety.

Dale hit on a good reason here, JS. Inanimate/not alive things can't have the feelings that a sentient entity can. Saying a "dreading exam" gives to a non-sentient entity feelings/emotions that it simply cannot have. There can be a boring movie/book but a movie or a book simply cannot be bored.

How then, you ask, can an exam be dreaded? The state of being dreaded is not one the exam feels, it describes the feeling of the people who have to take the exam.

The day of the exam [that was dreaded/had for weeks/months been dreaded by the students] had finally arrived, causing much anxiety.

The (escaped, escaping) refugees managed to reach safety before they had been missed.

'escaping' describes the refugees at the time they were making their escape, ie. when the escape was still in progress.

Let me paraphrase it, taking a few liberties with the "facts" to illustrate the language.

The refugees that had escaped and had reached the safety of Switzerland managed to reach safety before they had been missed.

Now the focus has shifted to after the fact of the escape. The escaping part is finished. The focus has shifted to a successful escape.

I'll venture, with not complete assurance, that those people, after the successful completion of the escape, would not be referred to as "escaped" refugees because to use the 'ed' form would confer on them, semantically speaking, that this was now their general condition, a state they had attained.

In English, we often use the pre-position [NOT preposition], ie. the position in front of the noun to describe a general condition, an habitual condition.

For example: If we want to refer to a man running across a park, we wouldn't say,

Do you see that running man over there as that would connote that that was the man's usual/habitual/always condition.

When we don't want to give that feeling/nuance, we use a relative clause -->

Do you see the man that's/who's running over there

So too with the refugees.

The refugees who/that escaped [country A] are safe in [country B].

In this case, another form, the "escapees" might be used to refer to their after the fact status.

The (hated, hating) emperor was violently attacked by the peasants.

The (planned, planning) committee has unanimously approved the company's proposal.

Senator Hawthorne addressed the college (graduated, graduating) class.

Now, JS, see if you can use the information I have given you to determine the word choice for the remaining three sentences.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2013 12:29 pm
@jangsunny1030,
Quote:
Those sentences are really confusing me.

What state were you in at the time you first opened this thread, JS.

Those sentences are really confusing me. --> I am really [confusing/confused].
jangsunny1030

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 03:46 pm
@JTT,
I am really confused!!?
JTT

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 05:11 pm
@jangsunny1030,
I'm not surprised, JS. These 'ing' and 'ed' adjectives are one of the most confusing aspects for ESLs.

If you're willing to see this thru to the end, I'll make it so that you won't be confused.

Let's start with the easiest.

Quote:
What state were you in at the time you first opened this thread, JS.

Those sentences are really confusing me. --> I am really [confusing/confused].

Now obviously you picked the right ones, one by elimination. Can you see any reason that would explain why you picked the one you picked?
jangsunny1030

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 05:32 pm
@JTT,
Confusing JS means that JS is confusing other people.
Confused JS means that JS is the one who is confused.

Am I right? I dont know how to explain it though...
Thank you for helping me as always I really appreciate it, JTT.
JTT

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 07:34 pm
@jangsunny1030,
Quote:
Thank you for helping me as always I really appreciate it, JTT.

It's my pleasure, JS.

Quote:
Confusing JS means that JS is confusing other people.
Confused JS means that JS is the one who is confused.

Am I right? I dont know how to explain it though...

You've explained it wonderfully and yes, you are right.

Now let's go back to your initial set of sentences. Start with what confuses you the most. Or better yet, start where you want to start.
jangsunny1030

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 11:01 am
@JTT,

Dreading exam means that the exam is dreading people.
And then, dreaded exam means that the exam is dreaded... but the exam has no feeling. It is not alive..

Can I say "Suprised exam"?

Thank you.

dalehileman

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 11:08 am
@jangsunny1030,

Quote:
Dreading exam means that the exam is dreading people.
Yes but it comnfers a human quality to the exam

Quote:
And then, dreaded exam means that the exam is dreaded... but the exam has no feeling. It is not alive..
We can dread something inanimate, thus it's dreaded

Quote:
Can I say "Suprised exam"?
No, this also imparts the human quality. If unannounced we say "surprise exam"

Quote:
Thank you.
You're welcome Jang, for what it's worth
0 Replies