Can i marry my cousin's daughter?

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 11:31 am
Hi.
Me & my cousin's daughter are in love. She's my mother's elder sister's daughter's daughter.
We are Roman Catholic. Pls guide us.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 7,675 • Replies: 6

engineer

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 12:11 pm
@ivanlewis,
You want to marry your first cousin - once removed. In the US, there are four states where that is banned. Check out the table in this article.
ivanlewis

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 12:17 pm
@engineer,
what about outside US?
what catholic church says?
and what is the real reason for banning this?
timur

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 12:30 pm
@ivanlewis,
Ivanlewis wrote:
She's my mother's elder sister's daughter's daughter.

It seems that the Canon Law doesn't oppose that kind of marriage.

But check out these links attentively:

Cousin

Cousin marriage
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 12:38 pm
@ivanlewis,
This is a pretty good explanation re the Catholic Church's position - http://catholicexchange.com/can-cousins-marry-in-the-church/

According to that site, the relationship is, I believe, the fifth or the sixth degree, and is therefore permitted.

HOWEVER,

the Catholic Church needs to abide by local laws. "Outside of the US" is extremely vague and involves over 100 countries. You will have to be considerably more specific than that, and we are not going to go hunting in every single country's law books to try to find one where everything is hunky-dory.

Per the above-mentioned site, the reasoning is based upon "natural law", but recognize that that is considered to be ambiguous the United States (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_law#American_jurisprudence) and is likely considered ambiguous elsewhere in the world. Certainly if a written law is on the books somewhere, and it supercedes alleged "natural law", it is likely to be the written document that will prevail (not to say you can't argue it - argue whatever you please - but your chances of winning against a well-documented, well-argued bit of legislation by citing vague "natural law" - those odds aren't so red-hot).
0 Replies

ivanlewis

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2013 12:33 am
Ok.. Thanx everyone.
Also what science says about this kind of relationship?
0 Replies

karen honey

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 04:24 pm
@ivanlewis,
so what happen
0 Replies