Is it wise to claim that able2know has experts

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 08:39 pm
I've noticed many folks asking for help with what appear to be class assignments. There are questions asking for help translating English into Latin, numerous English lit questions but today I saw a post from someone claiming to be mentally ill asking (a2k members) to contact him in order to serve as liaison between his lawyers and u/i institutions.
I may be mistaken, but I always thought this was a free form platform. People ask questions starting conversation, discussion or debate. There are also tons of humorous threads. When you search for A2k online, it's identified as a group of experts ready to answer questions. Granted, many posters are experts in certain areas.....but we are assuming folks represent themselves honestly. I think most people do, but there is no way a completely naive person could know if the advice they get from the collective "us" is legit. I would not seek legal advice from A2k, but it looks like a mentally impaired person has. So, is this a conversation, discussion, debate platform or do we really have an exceptionally talented bunch of experts providing free advice? Which one is it?

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 09:00 pm
@glitterbag,
Isn't that also true of the "outside" world at large?

People are responsible to weigh the advise provided on a2k against what's available any place else. I think most people who provide advise always tell the poster to seek professional advise when appropriate.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 10:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't know know, I express opinions but I don't suggest folks consult a paid expert. I just see this as a place to have exchanges, I worry about kids asking for Latin translations instead of doing the work themselves. The crazy person looking for help with his lawyers sent me around the bend.
roger

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 10:33 pm
@glitterbag,
Just for what it's worth, those Latin translations are largely for tattoos or impressive looking tags. Please don't ask me why someone would want a tattoo in Latin or any other language.

As for what is clearly assigned homework, some provide a sense of direction. Mostly, they get ridicule. I don't see anyone sitting around doing someone else's homework.

As for language help, it is mostly ESL students needing help in the many, many cases where a dictionary simply doesn't offer help. In some cases, I think we are helping translators with their job. Remember that this was one of the prime purposes of the site.

So far as legal and medical advice, most of it seems to be either shared experience, or the OP is advised to seek professional help.

Having said all that, yes, it is a stretch to consistantly expect expert advice here.
MattDavis

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 11:22 pm
@glitterbag,
Thank you for bringing this up. Very Happy

I do agree that it is not wise to assume someone on A2K is an expert.
If we see such a post (especially when the stakes are high) we should direct the asker to seek professional assistance.

I am a big fan of humor.
I don't think it is helpful to make a joke of such a situation (mental illness, abuse, drug addiction), as I have seen done before with what seem to be "cries for help". I haven't necessarily seen this here at A2K, but in other venues.

I would consider myself an expert in some fields of healthcare, such questions I have no hesitance in answering. The terms of service agreement for A2K stipulates that such advice is not to be taken as medical advice. I will remind the asker of my credentials as a nurse in such a situations, and suggest appropriate resources. The asker should beware though, none of our credentials can be verified.

In such situations (high stakes), I think that if non-professionals are going to offer answers they should qualify those answers as being "from personal experience" or "in my opinion as a _____", etc.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 12:20 am
@glitterbag,
I think I found the thread you were referring to.
COG is Children of God, a rather notorious cult.
FREECOG is an group that tries to deprogram cult members.
saab

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 01:22 am
In my real life I do have friends from all walks of life as the expression goes. If I need help in a certain area I would ask the one who I think knows the best and s/he will tell me what to do or tell me where to go.
That is the way a2k works or should work;
Of course there is a certain group, which always will come up with a nasty remark at any given chance.
As none of my friends know anything about Plattville WI I will ask a2k and hope someone can inform me about this place. It might not be an expert but at least someone who knows more than I do and then in my eyes is an expert.
0 Replies

JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 06:00 am
Claiming that able2know has experts is not implied.

Quote:
A. able2know does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement, or other information displayed, uploaded, or distributed through the service by any user, information provider or any other person or entity. You acknowledge that any reliance upon any such opinion, advice, statement, memorandum, or information shall be at your sole risk. THE SERVICE AND ALL DOWNLOADABLE SOFTWARE ARE DISTRIBUTED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. YOU HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT USE OF THE SERVICE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 09:46 am
@glitterbag,
Glitterbag -

http://able2know.org/topic/209518-1#post-5274754

Craven addressed the business of helping people with answers in at least a few posts in the past - I haven't looked them out. He was pretty clear the the community aspect was not his first priority I haven't tried to chase those posts down.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 10:31 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Is it wise to claim that able2know has experts

Not sure if it is wise or not...but the important question is: Is it true or not?
glitterbag

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 11:08 am
@MattDavis,
I think you have the right post. I'm not aware of the cult or the other organization, but the tone of the poster seemed desperate and that was alarming. I saw the post fairly late at night, and felt the poster needed help that I certainly am not equipped to provide. I wasn't trying to stir everybody up or malign the forum, but if you try to find a2k via google, the description of the site reads like a scholarly talented group of experts. Please don't think I am saying people shouldn't reach out, I enjoy the exchanges so for me it's mostly entertainment and I get a little strident from time to time.

I have noticed some of your answers to people dealing with health issues and think you have offered truly good and compassionate advice. My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's when she was 58, making her the youngest member of this huge Irish clan so far to be stricken. Frankly on one thread you were the first person to recognize such a problem and offer sound advice.

So in closing, I think it's wonderful that this site exists, it's difficult to recognize every situation that could possibly come up. It's good to have a community and this forum fills that bill for many.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 11:13 am
@glitterbag,
There is a group on a2k for ex members of that cult.

http://groups.able2know.org/xfamily/
glitterbag

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 11:31 am
@ossobuco,
Wow, that's a heaping cauldron of misery. I had no idea how difficult their situation was, I have never heard of this group. Seems very sad. I would be completely useless to this group, but I hope they find peace, they seem to have walked thru hell and back.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 11:36 am
@glitterbag,
Some of them post here once in a while, not knowing that there is a Group - most of us look only at the Forums routinely, and the ones who post in New Pages are probably new to the site.
0 Replies

Ice Demon

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 11:42 am
@glitterbag,
To any question, the best answer is to nasally say "Sorry, I'm gay." It is like the best answer to any question. Wanna play some video games? Would you like to help me carry this? Could you help me hold the door? Any questions? What's the answer to this problem.
With this good weather in NY, I'm going to try saying this to random girls on campus for science, and laughs. TTYL.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 12:08 pm
Siiiiiiiiigggggggghhhhhhhhh
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 02:22 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Having said all that, yes, it is a stretch to consistantly expect expert advice here.

But it you google able 2 know. that is what you get.
roger

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 02:29 pm
@IRFRANK,
I guess I knew that from the first post, even without google.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 03:36 pm
We have many expert bullshitters here. We also have some knowledgeable people. But we can't lay claim to being Snopes, Wikipedia, Google and the like. But why should we. We've already got those.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 04:04 pm
@glitterbag,
Thank you Glitterbag. For the compliment and thank you more for addressing this issue. I did not mistake you for attempting to disparage A2K, I took your intent to be a genuine concern for helping others. No need to apologize for getting strident, don't neglect that skill, it can be a blessing in my experience. Maybe not a blessing to you, but it can certainly be a blessing to others.
I am sorry to hear about you and your mother's struggles. You seem a caring person, I am sure she is lucky to have you.
0 Replies