what does "making kit-kit" mean?

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 01:40 am
Someone like Mrs Lackersteen, for instance? Some damned memsahib, yellow and thin, scandalmongering over cocktails, making kit-kit with the servants, living twenty years in the country without learning a word of the language. Not one of those, please God.

in this context, what does "making kit-kit"mean? Thanks! Smile

View best answer, chosen by lizfeehily
roger

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 02:56 am
@lizfeehily,
I can only guess that it means idle conversation. Maybe it comes from chit-chat, which small talk or polite but meaningless conversation.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 05:58 am
@lizfeehily,
Is this quote from The Jewel in the Crown?

~If it's making conversation, it's not in the language of the servants. It's sounds more to me, and this is just a wild guess, that making kit-kit is being troublesome, being picky about how things are being done. Nit-picking.

I'm likely to be way off.
We need someone from the Sub-Continent.

Joe(Where's the Prince?)Nation
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 07:58 am
Don't forget, the OP is ploughing through Burmese Days by George Orwell, a fact usually omitted by the OP. That is where the quote is from.

In the days of the British Raj in India (Burma was administered as an outpost of that), the expat Brits, colonial administrators, military, police, business people and their families, and so on, used a number of local words in everyday conversation, both with locals and each other.

The character described is said to be a "memsahib", itself one of these words (it means something like "white boss lady") and she is unflatteringly described - "yellow and thin, scandalmongering over cocktails, making kit-kit with the servants, living twenty years in the country without learning a word of the language".

The word "kitkit" was more commonly written without a hyphen and as used by Raj people meant "nagging" and the implication here is that Mrs Lackersteen used to nag her servants. Ill-treatment of servants was common, and these words of advice were included in the 1919 edition of a guide for new British recruits into the Indian colonial police (such as Orwell was) called "Police Notes" by G. G. B. Iver (a police officer)

Quote:
In the management of servants I can only say don't nag at them, and try to keep your hands off them. When you have to inflict a fine don't retain the money but send the man with it to the nearest charitable institution which is run by his own sect, or to a hospital. Let him take the money with a letter and bring a receipt. The servants are often very trying -and very faithless — a man who has been with you 20 years will leave at a few hour's notice — but in times of sickness, etc., they generally play up very well, and in camp they will march night after night in the bitter cold without complaint, pack up again the next evening and so on for weeks. On the whole we owe a great deal to our servants, and l am convinced that they will respond far more readily to decent treatment. Let me quote from the Anglo-Indian classic " Behind the Bungalow," which sums up the Indian servant completely. — " The conditions he values seem to be, — permanence, respectful treatment, immunity from kicks and cuffs and from abuse, especially in his own tongue, and above all, a quiet, life, without kitkit, which may be vulgarly translated, nagging. Ill-usage of him is a luxury like any other, paid for by those who enjoy it, not to be had otherwise."

1. Police Notes by GGB Iver
http://booksnow2.scholarsportal.info/ebooks/oca4/47/inindiandistrict00iver/inindiandistrict00iver_djvu.txt

2. Behind the Bungalow by Edward Hamilton Aitken
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7953

lizfeehily

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2013 07:51 pm
@contrex,
thank you so much for your detailed answer~~~~
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 04:26 pm
@contrex,
I love it when I guess correctly.

It might have helped that I have some background in Indonesian from long ago.

Joe(Instinctive Linguist)Nation
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 04:52 pm
@lizfeehily,
lizfeehily wrote:

Someone like Mrs Lackersteen, for instance? Some damned memsahib, yellow and thin, scandalmongering over cocktails, making kit-kit with the servants, living twenty years in the country without learning a word of the language. Not one of those, please God.

in this context, what does "making kit-kit"mean? Thanks! Smile

Are you working on an English lit. paper?
roger

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 05:10 pm
@glitterbag,
There have been a lot of recent questions from Burmese Days lately, haven't there?
glitterbag

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 05:48 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

There have been a lot of recent questions from Burmese Days lately, haven't there?

I'm not really sure Roger, it just seems like too many folks asking other folks to do their homework for them. Seems a little lazy and reckless. Reminds me of the Seinfeld bit when he told Elaine that the working title of "War and Peace" was called "War, what is it good for". If you don't know diddly about Russian lit. You might not see the joke. But, if you never heard the old Temptations song, you would be in the same boat. I really hope no one uses this forum for a short cut in their education.
contrex

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 02:23 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Reminds me of the Seinfeld bit when he told Elaine that the working title of "War and Peace" was called "War, what is it good for".

I took a speed-reading course and afterwards read "War And Peace" in ten minutes. It's about Russia, I think.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 03:30 pm
@contrex,
Sighhhhhhhhhhhh!
roger

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 03:32 pm
@glitterbag,
On Burmese days questions, I suspect we have ESL posters who have totally given up on dictionaries as a source of help. Still, it's suggestive when a number of posters are translating the same material.

I'm okay with that when working with something like Burmese Days. It's British as corrupted by one or more native dialects, and both from the early 1900's. If they can't get help here, where else could they go?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 04:45 pm
It must be this term's set-book in some country or other.
0 Replies

lizfeehily

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 06:15 am
@glitterbag,
No, I'm translating this book. I think this is a great forum, becauseI can really ask native English speakers words or phrases that I can't understand. Nobody is using this for a short-cut in their education. It's just that you don't know something, then you ask.
roger

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 08:44 am
@lizfeehily,
Feel free, especially for phrases and useages that simply cannot be gotten from a dictionary.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 09:15 am
@glitterbag,
Glitterbag - this site was created by a teacher (back then) of ESL and he does want to be able to help folks with their questions on many kinds of homework. As a community, we tend to try to give how to solve something - say if it is a math question - instead of just typing in the answer, but giving the answer is also ok. It is what this site was originally about.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 01:06 am

Well that's interesting.

How many threads are born to blush unseen, and waste their sweetness on the desert air?
0 Replies