Is my husband up to something?

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 04:13 am
First of all, just a little bit of context: I got married when I was 16, him 25, because I was pregnant. We had been seing each other for a year previous. He wanted to do the right thing so we got married. It's been 17 years now, we have a 16 year old son who will turn 17 in September.
His behaviour is very tender towards me, however, he had cheated on me in the past. Seven years ago I found out he was having what seemed to be a serious affair and that he was thinking of leaving, yet he didn't tell me about it. When I found out I begged him not to leave me and he didn't - well, he left for two weeks, then consumed with guilt and wanting to do what's right, he came home. I don't know if he cheated on me prior to that, even if it was for one night stands, but I think it's possible.
We then tried to save our marriage by moving to a different state (we're brazilian by the way) and starting all over. However, two years ago things hit a rough patch again. You see, I'm a nurse and I work most nights, so I spend most nights away from him and also weekends. But well, this gives me good money! He's complained about my shifts, that he's had enough of spending the nights alone. He then changes subject because he's not the type of person who talks about things that bother him, but sometimes I see he's upset about something but won't say. For him it's most important to be at peace with everyone.
Also, he's complained that he's always alone socially and that people are always asking where I am, and why he's alone. But well, I really have to work a lot to earn my money! It's true that I love to go shopping yes and have money to go to the hairdresser whenever I want, but is that so wrong? I also do this because he's a lawyer but doesn't make that much money, he settles for anything, he could have gone more far in his career and he didn't. He does go with me everywhere tough, dinner with my girl friends, etc, but maybe it's out of this feeling of obligation that seems to guide hum and not out of love. Could it be he sees me as a daughter, someone to take care of?

Anyway: two years ago he found on facebook that he had family across the ocean, in another continent - he's always been very interested in his roots and couldn't wait to meet them. I didn't want him to go, I've never been "alone" in my country, I cried and said I'd rather spend the money (that he didn't really have) in a new kitchen. So he postponed the trip and he cried every single day. I hadn't seen him cry for years. He even said he wanted the Lord to take him.

Anyway, he did go on his trip - without me. I said it wasn't the best time for me, nor am I willing to spend my money in a trip with his family, there's really not much there for me. He went by himself. Is this alright? He came back a different man. More introspective, more distant, and talking about them all the time, specially about a distant cousin (WOMAN) who's almost 30. He then quit talking about her.
He's then mentioned divorce once or twice, but then drops the issue (I drop it too cause I don't wanna hear about it) and is caring again. Could it be that he's just used to me, to our routine, to our friendship and secure life?

Then, three months later, goes away again without me for 10 days, says work trip. And three months later, another work trip, this time is cell is always off. Meanwhile a distant man at home. And five months later, tells me he'll leave and don't know when he'll come back. Sais he needed to find himself, be alone. What?? Well, he left and no cell phone, just an email here and there telling me he loved me. He was one month away before returning because I was having an operation, nothing much but he felt he had to be with me then, and came back. Three months later, another month away from home - to supposedly work on a family's vacation home. Hardly called. I went after him, there he was and he confessed - "I'm going away for 10 days to see my family (other country, continent). No matter what you say you can't stop me".

WTF is this, could he be having an affair or something? However most man don't do this, always this will to be away from home...when he is with me, he seems to have my best interests in sight, he's a GREAT father, always worried with our son, but then can't wait to go away and be away from me!

Could it be he's with me out of obligation? Does he not care anymore? Am I crazy thinking one day he may leave me for good? Cause all this absences, and distance, in spite of our pacific relationship (I don't bother him much) don't seem to be good at all.

jespah

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 09:03 am
Jeepers, this is an awfully passive-aggressive situation.

I'm leaving! No, wait, maybe I'm not.
I'm staying! No, eh, I dunno.
I'm going to find my roots! <-- well, that one at least he went through with

And now he's disappeared for several weeks at a time, with no contact whatsoever, and is distant.

I'd say it's time to confront him - ask point-blank - are you having an affair?

And then you'll get a few possible answers.
Yes, and I'm in love and I'm leaving you.
Yes, but if you jump through the next three hoops, I won't leave you.
Yes, but she/they means nothing to me.
No, how dare you insinuate, but I won't tell you what I've been doing.
No, I'm going out and finding myself, oops, I'm having a midlife crisis.
No, I went to stay with my family and I really, really missed you.

Actually, here's a practical question - don't you have the passwords into your bank accounts? Because unless this guy was living on nuts and berries he was foraging for in the forest, he undoubtedly used a credit card and paid for something while he was out, as the Aussies say, on walkabout. Are these motel receipts? Skydiving lessons? A ticket back to his family in Brazil?

Ask, and look. You've got a right to know - but understand that what you find is not necessarily going to be something pleasant.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:23 pm
You are 33 and he is 42, right? And your child is 17 (and is ready to leave for school?)

You two need to learn how to live with each other again. You should be entering a honeymoon era, (kids gone, dog dead, turn around and look at each other in a new light)

I see you BOTH very distant from each other.

I encourage marriage counseling and for you to go on the day shift - that might be one start to show you have some interest in him.
carolzinha

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 06:53 pm
@PUNKEY,
I'm 33 and he'll be 42 this year, yes. My son will go to college next year...not sure about the honeymoon era tough. Feels like my son is the only thing keeping him with me...well, not the only thing but one of our strongest bonds definetely is our son...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 06:57 pm
@carolzinha,
carolzinha wrote:

I spend most nights away from him and also weekends.

But well, this gives me good money!

He's complained about my shifts, that he's had enough of spending the nights alone.

seems like money's more important than the relationship with your husband - he has told you he doesn't want to be alone

if you're not going to be there for him, he may choose (or may have chosen) to be with another person (or another family)

you made a choice ... now he's making one

~~~

Why didn't you switch to day shifts when your husband told you he'd had enough of being alone at night?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 06:58 pm
@carolzinha,
carolzinha wrote:

Also, he's complained that he's always alone socially and that people are always asking where I am, and why he's alone.

But well, I really have to work a lot to earn my money!

It's true that I love to go shopping yes and have money to go to the hairdresser whenever I want, but is that so wrong?

hairdresser or marriage

you choose
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 07:00 pm
@carolzinha,
carolzinha wrote:

WTF is this

it seems like a guy who realizes his wife doesn't value his needs
0 Replies

carolzinha

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 04:55 am
@ehBeth,
Well a year and a half ago I was given the chance to work a day shift somewhere else but I didn't take the oportunity because it wouldn't give me so much money (really, night shifts give me a LOT more money) and besides I am happy with the place I work, I've made really good friends there! And besides my money keeps our high standard level going, because he's not really a fighter, wins much less than I do.
He was really angry when I had this chance to change shifts and didn't take it. Says he's always made efforts for me and that I don't value those efforts, he feels like he has been the slave and me the princess - but this doens't make sense anymore, I gain my own money because I work hard. However I don't do anything at home (his mother lives with us and does everything, and we also have a maid that tidies the house everyday, washes, cooks and does pretty much everything.

One thing all of you are right though - I've always thought about me first. I was 16 when I got pregnant and he paid for my college so that I could graduate, I'm thankful for that but now I really work very hard so I don't think I owe him something. However this may cost me my marriage and I'm doing everything in my power to save it...but I am what I am and he is what he is, changing radically I guess would mean unhappiness for one of us and as a consequence for both.
Besides he's not the victim some of you may feel he is - I know he's had affairs, one of them was serious, others just for sexy maybe - probably my fault if I spend the nights and weekends away. But I guess this is also because our marriage was not based on true matured love to start with. It started when we were really young because I was pregnant.

He has a really strong sense of duty and obligation (maybe he sees me as a kind of a daughter, being responsible for me since my 16). I guess he loves me even if he's not in love, and of course we have a good friendship after all this years, I guess that's why he hasn't left me yet. Nothing else to be honest with you... Sad
jespah

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 05:31 am
@carolzinha,
Those are awfully depressing statements.

You two need marriage counseling, pronto. You need to learn how to work as a partnership, because right now it looks like you work yourself to all hours in order to afford luxuries, and he's bored and neglected and has affairs, but does not seem to see that if he worked harder you might work less. Actually, has that subject ever been broached?

Now, I want you to understand something - people's working styles are rather personal and he may very well feel he is giving it all he's got. We are only hearing your side of things. There's a very real possibility that he could stay later hours and the like but not make much more at all. At some point, it is diminishing returns, and the law biz ain't what it used to be. People think of lawyers as, by definition, being wealthy or potentially wealthy, and that's not necessarily the case.

But it does seem like manicures and a maid are more important than your marriage. The night shift is generally a lousy way to work; it's upside down from what's good for most people. And as for nursing, the outlook for experienced RNs is very good, when it comes to wages and employability. Unless there are only two places where you can work in your area (highly doubtful), then there may be another place where you can go, and take day shift or at least second shift but still bring in the dough. If you work the day shift, you can also, perhaps, cut back on the maid, too, yanno.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 09:26 am
@carolzinha,
carolzinha wrote:
I really work very hard so I don't think I owe him something.

However this may cost me my marriage and I'm doing everything in my power to save it

...but I am what I am and he is what he is, changing radically I guess would mean unhappiness for one of us and as a consequence for both.

what have you done to try to save your marriage? have you made plans to work a day shift?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 09:27 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

But it does seem like manicures and a maid are more important than your marriage.

it really is sad to read the OP's comments in this regard
carolzinha

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 11:55 am
@ehBeth,
What's the OP?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 12:02 pm
@carolzinha,
OP - original poster

in this case - you
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 08:05 am
If you were a man, we would tell you the same thing: change your work schedule and pay more attention to your spouse.

I really think that you two are just tire of it all and neither of you want to put any more energy into this relationship.

If you love him and love your work, then what is YOUR problem?
0 Replies

amy37

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 04:44 pm
@carolzinha,
Carolzinha,
he does show alot of the classic signs of cheating. Sorry
1) starting arguements with you/blaming you
2) lying
3)going places without you

Have you tried getting marriage counseling? There are many churches that give free counseling.
0 Replies