eurocelticyankee

Sat 9 Mar, 2013 05:42 am
@farmerman,
Sorry for yer loss mate.

No words.......
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 9 Mar, 2013 06:05 am
You have my sincere condolences. I dread the day when we lose the little girl dog.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 9 Mar, 2013 06:06 am
in our conversations this week weve talked about another dog but Mrs F is not ready and really, neither am I. Ernie was such a massive presence that wed be looking to replace HIM and thats not what animal companions are about. Each one occupies a separate place in our lives and hearts. Our previous catahoula, JOEY was a very smart and economic dude. He would rule the herd and he instinctively knew where every other animal and human would be . He would charge into a herd of rams and break up differences of opinion and he would actually jump on their backs and grab their neck fur to settle the fight by his dominance.
Ernie was not like that. He was more of a doofus who occasionally rose to the task. He had an annoying habit of always carrying something in his mouth, like a toy. He was a party guy, and how can you be nmad at a party guy. He reminded me of many friends from college.
Yeh he did have a good life and he savored every moment. Even wehen we put him down, he lay in mrs F's lap with his tail weakly wagging.
farmerman

Sat 9 Mar, 2013 06:09 am
@Butrflynet,
Awww (((((buttrflynet)))))
I read some of those and they brought a nother tear, but some laughs too. Maybe Im feeling better.
0 Replies

Ragman

Sat 9 Mar, 2013 07:42 am
@farmerman,
My sincere sympathies on your loss. I am choked up reading this. I keep hugging my dog, Brady. He thinks I'm a space-ranger anyhow. He's right.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 9 Mar, 2013 06:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Suddenly I can't subtract. I was fixated on '88, I guess that was a good year. 14 is still getting up there.

I plan to read all of Butrflynet's links.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Sat 9 Mar, 2013 07:00 pm
I know people who have grieved more for a pet than they did losing a spouse.

At least a dog doesn't talk back, complain or withhold affection.

Unconditional love - ah, only from a dog.
0 Replies

JPB

Sat 9 Mar, 2013 07:06 pm
Thinking of you and Mrs fm this evening.

RIP Ernie. You will be missed.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Sat 9 Mar, 2013 07:11 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

They are tenacious, alert, inquisitive, dominant, protective, intelligent and , one more thing..... oh yeah, stubborn.

I wasn't familiar with the breed Catahoula. I did some research and they are indeed known for those traits.
Back in the day when this was a sleepy, two-lane country road the neighborhood dogs used to hang out in my yard all day. I would get home and throw sticks and balls for them to fetch. They would all play that game, except for Ching The Wonder Dog. She would look at me with disdain. I swear she was saying "YOU threw it; YOU go get it. Why should I?"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 9 Mar, 2013 08:31 pm
Just saw this on facebook. _______
For the past 6 years, a dog named Capitán has slept on the grave of his owner every night. His owner, Miguel Guzmán died in 2006 and Capitán disappeared shortly after the family attended the funeral services. They searched everywhere and put out flyers to try and find him. But no one had seen him.

A week later, some people who were at the cemetary late one evening spotted Capitán laying on a grave and they contacted the grounds keeper at the cemetary. The cemetary notified the family who promptly came to pick him up and take him home. But each night he would cry and scratch frantically at the door to go out and he wouldn't return home until morning. It was later discovered that Capitán would walk the 3 miles back to the cemetary each night to guard his master's grave.

It has been nearly 7 years now. The cemetary does not close the gates until he arrives each night promptly at 6 pm. He sleeps there all night guarding the grave until the grounds keeper opens the gate in the morning.
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/576227_165474156940033_406942326_n.jpg
0 Replies

firefly

Sun 10 Mar, 2013 10:23 am
@farmerman,
Heartfelt condolences on your loss, farmerman.

Each dog is so distinct and special that their presence in our lives can never be replaced. And, each time I've lost one of my beloved companions, which has happened to me recently, the ache is so deep that I vow never to put myself through that again by loving another one. But it is also because of the void left behind that I always wind up relenting, and wondering what unexpected and different new joys another animal relationship might bring into my life, and it's always the love for my lost friend that does motivate me to start the process of seeking another, after the period of raw grief has abated.

That's what I'm doing right now, and, at first, looking at pups only increased my heartache and brought back memories that only stirred my sense of loss. But, having suddenly found a newborn litter of the same breed I just lost, and one pup with a definite possibility to become part of my life in the next few months, because of my immediate reaction to her, I've found that a sense of excitement about the future is helping to balance the grief, at least somewhat. We all cope with these losses differently, and, for me, that's the direction I'm moving in right now because that's where my heart is taking me. You and your wife will do what's best for you as time goes on.

Ernie sounds like he was quite a personality, and he definitely seems to have left his positive imprint on the lives he touched. That's a great legacy for a dog, or a person, to leave behind--to be able to inspire love and happy memories. I'm glad the party dog enjoyed his life and that you were there to enjoy and love him.
farmerman

Sun 10 Mar, 2013 11:33 am
@firefly,
Ill remember all that, thanks
0 Replies

spidergal

Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:04 pm
@farmerman,
Sorry to hear about your loss, FM.

Reminds me of all the dogs I've lost in the course of my life. Some went missing, some died, always leaving me -- the one that loved them most -- in tears.

Nothing else to say.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:22 pm
Except - Spidergal, good to see you.
tsarstepan

Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:24 pm
@farmerman,
So sorry to hear this terrible news FM. Sad
0 Replies

spidergal

Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks, Osso.

It's great to be back. I've got lots to tell A2K.
0 Replies

BillRM

Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:39 pm
@farmerman,
Sorry for your lost of a beloved and long term member of your family Farmerman.

Most of us on this thread had been in the same shoes and all of the ashes of my beloved pets are going into my grave also.

If I am wrong and there is some kind of an afterlife I am planning on showing up at the gates with one dog and a lot of cats that had given me an an amazing amount of love in my life.
ossobuco

Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:48 pm
@BillRM,
Yeah, to all that.

I didn't save ashes before, but Pacco was my stalwart in life for several years, and I just can't toss them.

I well remember my husband and I laughing about a dingy neighbor who planned to be buried with her cat's ashes. That was a long time ago - I am not laughing any more.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 11 Mar, 2013 03:14 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
ashes of my beloved pets are going into my grave also

Thats not for us. Weve gone over the "last wishes list"and Mrs F and I will be commingled with the tides in the BAy of Fundy.

STopped and talked to my neighbor Ted (he lives a few milesNorth at another farm). His road intersects with our mail route and He has been taking his dog .fluffy, a collie, for daily walks for almost 20 years. This dog is about 20 and Ive seen it go from a young lively puppy, through adulthood, into a graceful old age and now a life, being sustained by care and love. Ted, now puts fluffy into a new AMISH MADE wagon and takes him for their daily walk because fluffy, who lives totally in the moment, can no longer see, hear, and is mostly unable to even walk. Yet he sits strait up in his wagon and enjoys his walks and greets everyone he knows with a lick and a wag.
I wish ERnie woulda done that but it wasnt to be.
JTT

Mon 11 Mar, 2013 03:28 pm
@farmerman,
I'm really sorry to hear about Ernie, Farmer.
0 Replies