My boyfriend is taking is mother to a wedding instead of me.

chai2

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 08:47 pm
@Ice Demon,
No.
She'll do that herself.
Ice Demon

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 08:49 pm
@chai2,
Yes, I suppose it's naturally expected in some relationships. Laughing
chai2

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 08:51 pm
@Ice Demon,
It's not expected, but that's where she's headed.

Considering he's already told her his family comes before her.

0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 12:18 am
@sweeetiexo,
Your "reasons" for accepting such a relationship are rationalizations. Yes, relationships are sometimes difficult, but they shouldn't be at your stage. Couples who have been together less than a year typically can't be pried apart.

If he has a "dream job" that takes up all his time, then maybe he just doesn't have time for a relationship right now. You can't build a good relationship without spending a lot of time together.That's not being "needy." It's investing your time and energy in each other. It's great that he's passionate about his job and wants to spend the time required to be successful at it. But relationships require similar passion and time to be successful.

"Work comes first, then family, then me..." Why would you accept being in last place in his life? How awful!

I'm glad you consider him trustworthy, honest, and good company. Those are important, to be sure. I'm all for commitment (I'll be married 30 years this summer), but yours is misplaced. You are not married, so your divorce analogy is not relevant. Now is the time in your life when you are trying to build your life. You will try many different things, including relationships, searching for the right fit. Don't settle for less.

He may be a wonderful person, and you may be terrific as well. But a relationship is like a third entity. Two great people do not necessarily equal a great relationship. The combination may or may not work.

One thing I do know firsthand. In order for a relationship to work, it has to come first.

I wish you luck.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 06:16 am
@sweeetiexo,
sweeetiexo wrote:
I am really upset about this. Am I overreacting?

Yes and no. Yes, because you're really upset about something and apparently haven't asked for an explanation from your boyfriend (or so it appears). And, no, because your reactions are honest to the circumstances of your relationship.

I can imagine that you don't want to spend the 1-2 hours/week that you have together hashing out his decision to take his mother to a wedding instead of you. But, if you're "really upset" about it then that's precisely what you should do.
0 Replies

sweeetiexo

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 06:50 am
@chai2,
I was replying to someone when I used the word let. I never tell my boyfriend what he can or cannot do and I never will. It's not like he comes to me and asks me for permission or vice versa, so lets get that straight. We don't have that type of controlling relationship. And I would never stand between him and his mother. These are two different relationships. You are twisting the whole "let" thing. And as far as meeting them on the same day, that was to back up on how he said to me that his mom his closer with the family. Which is not true because we met her on the same day and I attend more of their family events than she does. If they "perhaps" like her better, is irrelevant because it is not up to them who my boyfriend brings, it is up to my boyfriend. And the reason this is confusing is because this is not a normal day, it is a wedding.
sweeetiexo

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 06:52 am
@chai2,
Like I said before, I never told him or would tell him what to do. Please do not twist my words because I am not that type of girl.
0 Replies

sweeetiexo

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 06:56 am
@Ice Demon,
No this has nothing to do with me and his mother. I get along with her very well. I have never had a problem with her. And the issue is not between me and his mother at all.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 07:10 am
@sweeetiexo,
sweeetiexo wrote:

it is not up to them who my boyfriend brings, it is up to my boyfriend.

Again, there's your answer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 08:58 am
@sweeetiexo,
sweeetiexo wrote:
he said to me that his mom his closer with the family. Which is not true

you need to really listen to your boyfriend
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 08:58 am
@sweeetiexo,
sweeetiexo wrote:
If they "perhaps" like her better, is irrelevant because it is not up to them who my boyfriend brings, it is up to my boyfriend.

right

he made his choice

his mother
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 08:59 am
@sweeetiexo,
sweeetiexo wrote:
this is not a normal day, it is a wedding.

it's not your wedding, so it really is a normal day for you

(I think your boyfriend made the right decision - this wedding thing seems waaaaaaaaay too important to you)
0 Replies