Readers Digest in the mens room

tycoon

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 07:12 am
Why are there not apostrophes in either Readers Digest or mens room in common usage?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,508 • Replies: 14
No top replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 08:07 am
Well, it would be Readers' Digest, but you know how they condense everything...
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 08:17 am
That's where I would place it, but it's missing. Readers Digest is considered the best edited magazine in the U.S. I don't think they would miss an obvious error like that. I suspect it may have to do with it being a proper name perhaps?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 08:42 pm
Mens room, without the apostrophe is a mistake, pure and simple.

But I don't think that Readers Digest is. I think it's a plural, not a possessive. The same holds true for teachers manual, ironworkers union, etc.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 09:10 pm
Roberta, I thought for sure you would have a clear, concise answer to this question.

I believe this is the first time I have seen you waver.

All of my A2K gods are falling.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 09:41 pm
It's a confusing one, adjectives aren't supposed to be plural (e.g. 2-car garage and not 2 cars garage) and a plural adjective is what would explain it not being a possessive.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 10:08 pm
I ain't down yet, Gus. I found an authority that confirms what I thought.

"The name of many organizations and products contain words that could be considered either possessive or descriptive terms. . . . As a rule, do not use an apostrophe if the term is a regular plural.

"Chemical Workers Union
Investors Trust Company
Underwriters Laboratories Inc.
Consumers Union
American Bankers Association
Government Employees Insurance Company
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs"

From the Gregg Reference Manual, ninth edition, written by William A. Sabin.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 10:26 pm
I knew you'd come through for me!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 10:32 pm
GEICO's gonna get ya readers for this.

Hey, ya got any TP over there?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 01:14 am
Couldn't let you down, Gus. I remember my rose. :-)
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 01:26 am
Well....if you visit their site, you will see the title of the magazine is "Reader's Digest".

http://www.rd.com/

So dunno what yer talkin' about there.

As for mens' room. What about the ladies' room? Is this a sexist thread or what!

*gets up in a huff and stalks off*

In a mock kinda way of course. Very Happy
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 05:55 am
Well caprice, the apostrophe is there all right on their online edition. Makes me wonder now if I was imagining this about their magazine.

I suspect the men's room issue could be due to painters who letter the doors not necessarily being English majors. BTW, why do you ladies always go in pairs to the restroom? What is that deal? Makes me think you haven't picked up a copy of RD in there and actually looked, so this missing apostrophe might not be a figment of my imagination.

regards
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 07:10 pm
Tycoon, I can only speculate about why women go to the ladies' room in pairs. Because most restrooms are designed by men, there are rarely enough stalls to accommodate the women who need them. So we go in pairs to keep each other company while we're waiting in line. :-)
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:54 pm
I don't think Readers' Digest would be proper. Just like how Man's Best Friend, would be sill y if you made it plural: Mens' Best Friend.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 07:28 am
Roberta wrote:
Tycoon, I can only speculate about why women go to the ladies' room in pairs. Because most restrooms are designed by men, there are rarely enough stalls to accommodate the women who need them. So we go in pairs to keep each other company while we're waiting in line. :-)

Hi Roberta,

Somehow I knew it was our fault. Rolling Eyes HAHA!

This R.D. business has me puzzled. I remember about two years ago I went to the laundromat and picked up a copy, looked at the title and began wondering about the missing apostrophe. I'm looking for a recent hard copy now along with some vintage issues to see if anything has changed.
0 Replies