hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:18 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Mostly, they just started disappearing. Mostly, they struck me as more obscure than thoughtful. One that went by the name goshisdead was impressive in many areas, but he seems long gone.

bullshit. they were very loud in their condemnation of robert and A2K as they headed for the exit. if you did not hear them it was only because you did not want to hear what they were saying.
0 Replies

Ice Demon

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:19 am
@hawkeye10,
I'm new here, so I don't know the politics of different "factions" and "mob." I was discussing about your claim on the subject of truth.
The way I see it, nobody on this site have taken away your right to hold an unpopular minority opinion, even if a majority dislike your, supposedly, reactive views. And here I thought it's always the comedians that must derail threads in general.
But the thumb down domino effect is kinda hilarious in a way (from my own experience here), it means your screech is heard resoundingly.
MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:21 am
@hawkeye10,
That comment was meant as a pragmatic suggestion to Ice Demon, as well as a gentle reminder that this is not a philosophy thread.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:23 am
@hawkeye10,
I guess my answer would require more specific explanation on which groupthink fantasies we are talking about.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:25 am
@roger,
Thanks Roger I think I have already read some of his/her previous posts on PhilForum. I will read more of his/her posts there Very Happy
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:27 am
@Ice Demon,
Quote:
The way I see it, nobody on this site have taken away your right to hold an unpopular minority opinion, even if a majority dislike your, supposedly, reactive views.

in america we have the right to hold unpopular views only so long as we dont pollute other people's lives by making them heard. the purpose of the A2K popularity metric is to make sure that unpopular views are buried. the peace of the idiotic majority is protected, but the truth suffers grievous harm.
Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:29 am
It would help Matt to know that Whackeye (a.k.a. Hawkeye) obsessively hates Robert, and constantly rants about freedom of speech, specifically, that his is curtailed at a venue which had never censored him. He's been predicting dire consequences for this site literally for years--which is why some people also refer to him as Chicken Little.
MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:33 am
@hawkeye10,
Perhaps more subtle influence would be more effective.
I have unpopular views regarding veganism, but in my experience it takes a delicate touch not to trigger defensive/offensive postures in a potential audience.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:33 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
It would help Matt to know that Whackeye (a.k.a. Hawkeye) obsessively hates Robert, and constantly rants about freedom of speech, specifically, that his is curtailed at a venue which had never censored him. He's been predicting dire consequences for this site literally for years--which is why some people also refer to him as Chicken Little.

my objection was/is that robert was/is an idiot and has taken actions that grievously harm A2K, a place and community that I am invested in and care about. I think I know a lot more than Robert does about how to go about building community.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:36 am
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

Perhaps more subtle influence would be more effective.
I have unpopular views regarding veganism, but in my experience it takes a delicate touch not to trigger defensive/offensive postures in a potential audience.

you should have learned somewhere that you are responsible only for what you do, not for what others do. those of us who grew up being abused refuse to play your game, we know better.
MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:47 am
@hawkeye10,
I am very sorry that you had to suffer through abuse, I hope that overcoming that has made you a stronger person.
I don't know exactly what game you are referring to?
.. but I do not feel as though I am a victim of any person or culture. My actions and purposes are my own. If I want change, the reality is I must use tools of communication. The use of tact is informed by pragmatic realities regarding psychology (particularly ego defense mechanisms).
That game (tact) is one that has it's uses.
MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:51 am
@Ice Demon,
Ice Demon I don't think that I ever welcomed you to A2K .
Sorry about that. Embarrassed
Welcome. Glad you are here, I especially appreciate your input on the moral philosophy thread. Very Happy
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:52 am
@MattDavis,
being true to myself/being a successful manipulator of others...which one is going to win, i just dont know! * sarcasm*
MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 04:20 am
@hawkeye10,
I don't view it as manipulation. I view it as influence. There is not much reality to "control" especially as it applies to adult humans. Manipulation/control implies a hierarchic relationship which is fictional.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 09:14 am
If it hasn't already been mentioned, hit the ignore button. It's great for your blood pressure, particularly when you can avoid reading crap that is so sublimely ignorant it could make your head explode. So, when I find someone who is wasting my time, I hit ignore.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 11:46 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

If it hasn't already been mentioned, hit the ignore button. It's great for your blood pressure, particularly when you can avoid reading crap that is so sublimely ignorant it could make your head explode. So, when I find someone who is wasting my time, I hit ignore.

Boomers complaint is not enough quality content and quality people, it is not that it is mixed in with too much crap, or so that is my take. Ignore function does not help that problem.
0 Replies