roger

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:11 am
He means that our right to ignore or vote on his posts interferes with his right to post.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:13 am
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

I'm a fan of Renaissance. What are the virtues which need resurrecting?
Openmindedness....

fidelity to truth most of all....as we see everywhere here at A2K fantasy has trumped reality. if you want to know what is wrong with America you need look no further.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:15 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

He means that our right to ignore or vote on his posts interferes with his right to post.

i will always object to the ignoring of truth....i personally am irrelevant.

do you know want to make a counter argument to mine or are you rather going to continue to make excuses for not doing so?
Ice Demon

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:19 am
@hawkeye10,
Are you confusing the terms 'perspective' with 'truth', by any chance?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:23 am
@Ice Demon,
Ice Demon wrote:

Are you confusing the terms 'perspective' with 'truth', by any chance?

no...I am Zen. we believe that truth actually exists.
MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:23 am
@hawkeye10,
Reason can be in opposition to popular sentiment.
That is one of the most important justifications for respecting a right to free speech.
MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:27 am
What proportion of A2K users are American? Does anyone here have an estimate?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:34 am
@MattDavis,
More than 90%, I think. 95% perhaps. (Leaving out the spammers)
MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thank you Walter Very Happy
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:37 am
@MattDavis,
conventional wisdom might be out of tune with truth, that is the primary reason to respect free speech, but because he wanted harmony Robert placed his bets with conventional wisdom when he rewrote the A2K interface. that is why this place is failing.

look at the popularity metric and how this site is sifted and then tell me that I am wrong. those of us who are supposed to be disappeared are voted down and mistagged so that will will never be seen, it is only by active rebellion by demanding that the unpopular be given voice that A2K has any relevance at all now.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

More than 90%, I think. 95% perhaps. (Leaving out the spammers)

we used to be better.....the world wide community was one of the major reasons i liked this place. the community is mostly gone now, after repeated abuse.
Ice Demon

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:45 am
@hawkeye10,
And that's you opinion, right?
These are such broad and spacious topics - hence why they are found in the metaphysics description.
For simplicity's sake, let's say truth is correspondence of statement to reality. Do you have access to the exact reality in every case? You can say that truth is the way things "really" are. But that's vague. Part of extrapolating on any philosophical thought is to root out the gray areas in it, and pay attention to subtle inconsistencies in your thought and statements. There may be no reality in terms of the 'way things actually exist'. What is observed as a thing may be all there is to it.
MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:51 am
@hawkeye10,
I noticed that once upon a time A2K swallowed up PhilForum.
Philosophy was my primary interest in coming here. Do you know what became of the philosophy crowd?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:52 am
@Ice Demon,
surely you are not so stupid! truth is observed by the many using their brains and experience and then coming together to compare notes. when the unpopular views are sifted out then the scheme fails, all we get is the echo of popular opinion. that is what American discourse has degenerated into, and A2K as well. But A2K just a few years ago was better than this. that is what is so sad. this is the point that Boomer is driving at, and she is right.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:54 am
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

I noticed that once upon a time A2K swallowed up PhilForum.
Philosophy was my primary interest in coming here. Do you know what became of the philosophy crowd?
they despised Robert and A2K and thus went to other places that where more conducive to their needs and morals.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:56 am
@Ice Demon,
I generally assume that someone is a realist with regard to their epistemology (in a non-philosophy thread), however zen was mentioned.
I guess I know where one of the philosophers landed.
Wink
MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:00 am
@hawkeye10,
I find troubling the sensationalism in current public discourse. It is tempting to shout just to get enough attention to be heard.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:05 am
@MattDavis,
Quote:
I generally assume that someone is a realist..

i see, so know you change tact 180 degrees and assume that there is a truth to be faithful too Drunk
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:10 am
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

I find troubling the sensationalism in current public discourse. It is tempting to shout just to get enough attention to be heard.

is the problem egomaniacs or is it rather that groupthink fantasy has trumped reality and some smart people have a problem with that?
roger

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:15 am
@MattDavis,
Mostly, they just started disappearing. Mostly, they struck me as more obscure than thoughtful. One that went by the name goshisdead was impressive in many areas, but he seems long gone.