Kolyo

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:01 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Anyone can change the tags on a topic. Tagging is crowd-based. Don't like the tags on a topic? Add your own. Enough people tag with a particular word or phrase, it'll stick. Simple majority rules. Mods don't have any more power in this than anyone else.

There's a logistical problem with that, but not one that can't be fixed. It's a problem of inertia.

If three people have already tagged a thread "Republicur" or "Libtard", then to re-tag at as something like "Politics", I have to organize three people to tag the thread "Politics". Otherwise, the three of us who would like to see the tags change to something sane and relevant divide our votes. One tags the thread "Politics", another tags it "Economy", and so on. Meanwhile fans of "Republicur" continue to vote for "Republicur" and it becomes more entrenched. It is easier for them to coordinate their support than it is for the rest of us to coordinate our opposition. They vote for it because it's there, basically, whereas alternatives aren't.

One way to counter this would be to declare what tags you're placing (in sort of a small-font footnote to your post, perhaps -- not in a garish way that mars the flow of debate in the thread). Then others could pick up on your idea and declare what tags they're placing. The only way to vote "Libtard" out of office is to communicate about what you want to replace him with.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:20 pm
@Kolyo,
No, I've done that by myself fairly often while using obvious choices for the thread subjects. Sometimes one of the insulting tags hangs in, sometimes not. As I said, sometimes it takes more than one effort, but I seem to be one of the only people doing that (I suspect there are more).

Finally there aren't all that many people here who choose to use tags like libtards and rightwingnuts and plenty of us interested in what a thread is about. If nothing else, useful tags help a thread be noticed by google or whatever.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:21 pm
@Kolyo,
Actually, if you tagged something "Politics," that tag would take over, because there are literally hundreds if not actually thousands of threads which have been tagged "Politics." The only problem with what Jespah suggests arises when you use a tag that is uncommon. Common tags rule, as she has already explained.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:21 pm
@Kolyo,
Also this tagging work that is not normally required of us on forums, and the vast majority of people are lazy. Crowd sourced forum organization was a pride and joy of Roberts but it was at base a bad idea.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 05:39 pm
@ossobuco,
I appreciate the kind comments. To me the only way to deal with the meanness is to not respond to it. It can be ignored, it's just someone seeking attention.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 05:40 pm
@MattDavis,
Now you're getting carried away.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 07:18 pm
@boomerang,
It seems clear to me that the days of A2K being a community are fading.

Whether this is good or bad for A2K, Robert, the mods, etc. is not for me to say, but I'm disappointed about it, personally.
MattDavis

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 07:19 pm
@IRFRANK,
The best politicians are the reluctant ones Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 07:21 pm
@Setanta,
True, but some uglybutt tags are easy enough to remove, including with words like 'politics', but also other words.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 08:22 pm
@DrewDad,
My prediction is not that dire.

I usually fade away during the election cycle but I'd expected things to be back on track by now. Maybe my memory is messy and it just takes longer than I thought.

I'm disappointed about it too, obviously.

Or maybe it's just because I'm not a hold a grudge type. I take each new topic for what it is without concern that the person has some sort of agenda. Maybe I'm naive.

I don't know.....

I do know that after I've spent a long day rehabbing the house and dealing with a tweenager that I always looked forward to checking in for some intelligent discussion and I'm not finding it here.

At all.

I miss the little intellectual stimulation that I used to get here. I kind of need it. I'm selfish that way.

0 Replies

thack45

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 08:48 pm

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/tint45/ScreenShot2013-03-05at94429PM.png

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 10:14 pm
I think you're over-reacting, as usual. This is a phase A2K is going through, that's all. Calm down.
boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 10:15 pm
@Mame,
I usually over react?

Really?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 01:44 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

It seems clear to me that the days of A2K being a community are fading.

Whether this is good or bad for A2K, Robert, the mods, etc. is not for me to say, but I'm disappointed about it, personally.

interesting. sounds like something I would say but if I did I would see a neg 5 rating on the post. that folks, is the problem with the 2013 version of A2K! the idea is not what is rated, who presents it is.
MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 01:56 am
@hawkeye10,
You are new to me. Very Happy
Clean slate.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 01:58 am
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

You are new to me. Very Happy
Clean slate.

you will be punished for your failure to condemn Hawkeye! the ignorant mob will not be denied their will.
MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:01 am
@hawkeye10,
Even non-ignorant mobs are fallible.
More a problem with mobs, I think, than ignorance.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:03 am
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

Even non-ignorant mobs are fallible.
More a problem with mobs, I think, than ignorance.

closed mindedness is the critical failure at A2K. full. stop.

we used to be better. I have been fighting a multi year battle to preserve what used to be great here but I have lost.
MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:09 am
@hawkeye10,
I'm a fan of Renaissance. What are the virtues which need resurrecting?
Openmindedness....
MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:10 am
@MattDavis,
Tolerance?
Compassion?
Empathy?
Creativity?
0 Replies