The CBS 60 Minutes Richard Clarke Interview

rabel22

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:11 am
It looks like the republican mouthpices are out to baffle us with bs on the clark thing. One democrat president and three republican presidents in this timeframe and they want the blame to fall on the democrat. The real question is was the bush bunch warned and did they ignore this warning? It looks to me like they were warned and ignored the warnings before 9/11. The hatred of Clinton is the motivating factor here I think.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:26 am
The real question here is, is Richard Clarke credible? President Clinton's CIA Director says he isn't, and he has nothing to gain by lying. Other people are coming forward, and Clarke's credibility is beginning to drop. You can pick and choose your news sources and make him look good, but sometimes you have to look elsewhere to get the whole story.

If I post an opposing opinion, does that make me a "Republican mouthpiece?" I'm not sure if that statement was directed at me or not.

Oh, and here's an item I heard about earlier but forgot to search for:

Quote:

Washington Times

Jon Kyl is our only credible Arizona Senator.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:41 am
Quote:

Washington Times
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:54 am
Clark is as credible as the Bush government. It has been known that the Clinton Administration warned Bush about Al Queda during the transition. They chose to ignore the warnings and fight for tax cuts. That is a fact and all the printed bs by conserative writers wont change the facts one bit.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 01:16 am
Clarke's questionable timing doesn't take away from the truthfullness of his statements. I am tempted to believe him, as his explanation is the only plausible story I have heard so far.

The idea that the Bush Administration outright lied about Iraqi WMD's and terrorist connections is pretty farfetched. So is the idea that it was all due to a fundamentally flawed intelligence agency.

I have long thought that there is only one plausible explanation: The Bush administration - due largely to Bush's wrongheadedness and his advisors eagreness for war - selectively intrepreted the data to support an invasion of Iraq. Clarke has only confirmed this.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 01:21 am
Tarantulas
Tarantulas, welcome to Able2Know; glad to have you here where all viewpoints are expressed.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 05:35 am
Thank you. I've been missing my daily dose of political discussion for quite some time now. Feels good!

IronLionZion wrote:
Clarke's questionable timing doesn't take away from the truthfullness of his statements. I am tempted to believe him, as his explanation is the only plausible story I have heard so far.

The idea that the Bush Administration outright lied about Iraqi WMD's and terrorist connections is pretty farfetched. So is the idea that it was all due to a fundamentally flawed intelligence agency.

I have long thought that there is only one plausible explanation: The Bush administration - due largely to Bush's wrongheadedness and his advisors eagreness for war - selectively intrepreted the data to support an invasion of Iraq. Clarke has only confirmed this.

From what I've heard, every intelligence agency in the world that had any information at all about Iraq was absolutely convinced that Saddam had WMD. And I've even heard that Saddam himself was convinced that he had them. So, yeah, lying and a flaw in US intelligence is pretty farfetched all right.

And I would believe the Director of Central Intelligence over whatever this Clarke guy has to say. Clarke's is a lone voice without many others to back up his assertions. There are too many other people who consider his assertions pure unadulterated horse puckey.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 06:43 am
Quote:
And I would believe the Director of Central Intelligence over whatever this Clarke guy has to say. Clarke's is a lone voice without many others to back up his assertions. There are too many other people who consider his assertions pure unadulterated horse puckey.

Actually there have been quite a few people from the Bush administration coming out and talking about Bush's obsession with Iraq to the exclusion of all else. That much of what Clark said rings true to a lot of people.

I have said this a few times here, but, the Bush administration conducted a new inquiry that cast some doubt on the existence of any new WMD or any stockpiles of WMD. They just ignored that intelligence and went with the intelligence that they preferred leaving out those parts that wouldn't do their agenda any good when they were gunning for the war. They were purposely misleading when they were trying to shove the war down our throats. Why else would Bush had mentioned the Africa thing if not to deceive the gullible into thinking that the british intelligence was correct? If they were honest they should have mentioned that our own intelligence says otherwise and they would have mentioned that there were some doubts on the existence of stockpiles of WMD but we believe that for the safety of America we need to get rid of Saddam Hussien. But they didn't do that and that is why they misled and why they are not to be trusted about anything. IMO

I am not sure everything Clark had to say is totally accurate, but he will have a chance to answer questions today. The one part I have a problem with is where he said that Rice acted like she had no clue who Al Queda (?) is and the Clinton administration briefed the Bush administration completely on everything including Bin Laden and Al Queda. Nevertheless, Clark is not the first to say that the Bush administration was obsessed with Iraq and that part rings true and that is the part that matters the most.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 07:25 am
IronLionZion wrote:

Could it also be that Clarke is a dissenting voice against the Bush Administration and that automatically makes his word good in your opinion?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 07:58 am
Quote:
The one part I have a problem with is where he said that Rice acted like she had no clue who Al Queda (?)

This has been debunked, there is a recording of her addressing Al Quaeda issues in an interview prior to Clarke's alleged perception of her reaction.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 08:37 am
Tarantulas wrote:
From what I've heard, every intelligence agency in the world that had any information at all about Iraq was absolutely convinced that Saddam had WMD.

That is just plain not true, its pure wishful thinking. Its the favoured line of defense over WMD from the White House right now: well, how could we have thought anything else from what we thought, didnt everyone think so? And then preferably underpinned with quotes from Kerry, Hillary, Pelosi, etc.

But the entire single point of the whole diplomatic flak over Iraq last year was that America's NATO allies were not convinced by the proof the US put forward about Iraq still having WMDs. Remember Powell's speech to the UN and how it fell flat? Remember the German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer famously telling Rumsfeld, wait, let me quote:

Quote:
JOSCHKA FISCHER ( Translated ): We owe the Americans our democracy. They are very important for stability and peace especially. We Germans would never have been able to free ourselves from the Nazi regime without America. The Americans allowed us to build up our democracy, but in this democracy my generation has learnt... ( in English ) You have to make the case, and to make the case in a democracy, you have to be convinced yourself, and excuse me, I am not convinced. This is my problem and I cannot go to the public and say, "well, let's go to war because there are reasons and so on," and I don't believe in that.

Considering Fischer's word choice, your assertion that "every intelligence agency in the world" was "absolutely convinced" Saddam had WMD is all the more misplaced. Governments around the world, forsure, suspected that Iraq still had WMD. There was enough evidence that he still had some the last time we looked, even if the bulk of it had already been destroyed during the years of weapon inspections (something the US government back then had proudly talked about). But most other governments, most NATO governments even, considered the proof that he still had WMD (let alone in any measure that would make Iraq into the purported acute threat to world security that warranted immediate warfare) absolutely insufficient.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 08:40 am
I must say I find this line of argument - "but everybody thought so at the time" - both baffling and disturbing, hence my sharpness.

Baffling because the disagreement about the evidence on Iraqi WMD was the cornerstone of the entire diplomatic fall-out last year. And disturbing because I'm pretty sure 90% of Americans dont really know what the German or Russian or Chilean government back then said, so they'll easily buy the line.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 09:24 am
nimh wrote:
Tarantulas wrote:
From what I've heard, every intelligence agency in the world that had any information at all about Iraq was absolutely convinced that Saddam had WMD.

That is just plain not true, its pure wishful thinking. Its the favoured line of defense over WMD from the White House right now: well, how could we have thought anything else from what we thought, didnt everyone think so? And then preferably underpinned with quotes from Kerry, Hillary, Pelosi, etc.

Well, you have to pay attention to what people have said rather than simply asserting what you believe to be true. Observe:

Quote:
How does the administration 1) explain the mistake and 2) sufficiently rebound? The first part turns out to be simpler than one would think, the question being whether non-partisans will accept it: The intelligence was bad. From the United States to the United Nations, from Great Britain to Germany, from Russia to France; from Kofi Annan to Bill Clinton to George W. Bush, from Tony Blair to Gerhardt Schroeder, from Vladimir Putin to Jacques Chirac. The United States wasn't alone in believing there were WMD in Iraq, just in being worried enough to do something about it.

The rebound is another story, a cause not helped by the president's disastrous appearance on Meet the Press. What really needed to be said simply couldn't by any man taking reelection more seriously than the idea of the buck stopping at his desk. What would have helped? Namely: "Under my watch, the military was sent into Iraq because all reliable intelligence from around the world suggested WMD were there. As of today, no WMD have been found. My administration will find out why the intelligence was faulty. In the meantime, if there is an American citizen who can look himself in the mirror and honestly believe America, Iraq and the Middle East genuinely aren't better off with Saddam Hussein out of power, then they should vote for John Kerry."

Intellectual Conservative

That article was easy to find. I can find more if you like. Or you can just say it's not true again. But you know even the United Nations thought there were WMD in Iraq. Otherwise why would they have had inspectors there for so long? Many nations did believe the WMD were there, so a majority of delegates voted in the UN to send in weapons inspectors and keep them there for quite a while. If the overwhelming majority of nations believed there were no WMD, then there never would have been any weapons inspections. But some nations were antsy about going to war. That's the reason for the quote below.

nimh wrote:
But the entire single point of the whole diplomatic flak over Iraq last year was that America's NATO allies were not convinced by the proof the US put forward about Iraq still having WMDs. Remember Powell's speech to the UN and how it fell flat? Remember the German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer famously telling Rumsfeld, wait, let me quote:

Quote:
JOSCHKA FISCHER ( Translated ): We owe the Americans our democracy. They are very important for stability and peace especially. We Germans would never have been able to free ourselves from the Nazi regime without America. The Americans allowed us to build up our democracy, but in this democracy my generation has learnt... ( in English ) You have to make the case, and to make the case in a democracy, you have to be convinced yourself, and excuse me, I am not convinced. This is my problem and I cannot go to the public and say, "well, let's go to war because there are reasons and so on," and I don't believe in that.

Considering Fischer's word choice, your assertion that "every intelligence agency in the world" was "absolutely convinced" Saddam had WMD is all the more misplaced. Governments around the world, forsure, suspected that Iraq still had WMD. There was enough evidence that he still had some the last time we looked, even if the bulk of it had already been destroyed during the years of weapon inspections (something the US government back then had proudly talked about). But most other governments, most NATO governments even, considered the proof that he still had WMD (let alone in any measure that would make Iraq into the purported acute threat to world security that warranted immediate warfare) absolutely insufficient.

So you're saying the German Foreign Minister was privy to his country's full intelligence evaluation? From what he said, he could just have been making himself a pain in the butt to oppose the US intentions.

There is an "intelligence community" between nations. Individual intelligence organizations share information with each other. There was a consensus of opinion worldwide that Saddam had WMD. Deny it all you want, but that doesn't make it untrue.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 09:32 am
Tarantulas makes a good point here.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 09:45 am
McGentrix wrote:
Tarantulas makes a good point here.

Well, it is really a good point - especially, since any German intelligence service has ever said that there were WMD in Iraq.

But I agree that the "Intellectual Conservative" (nomen est omen!) might be the best source about this.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 11:04 am
Here's the end of Mr. Clarke's little deception. It will be interesting to see if his testimony today is as filled with lies as his book appears to be.

Quote:
Transcript: Richard Clarke August, 2002 Briefingmid-January, to do two things. One, vigorously pursue the existing policy, including all of the lethal covert action findings, which we've now made public to some extent.

And the point is, while this big review was going on, there were still in effect, the lethal findings were still in effect. The second thing the administration decided to do is to initiate a process to look at those issues which had been on the table for a couple of years and get them decided.

So, point five, that process which was initiated in the first week in February, uh, decided in principle, uh in the spring to add to the existing Clinton strategy and to increase CIA resources, for example, for covert action, five-fold, to go after Al Qaeda

Fox News

Bye bye, Dick! Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:28 pm
Tarantulas wrote:
Well, you have to pay attention to what people have said rather than simply asserting what you believe to be true. Observe:
Quote:
The first part turns out to be simpler than one would think, the question being whether non-partisans will accept it: The intelligence was bad. From the United States to the United Nations, from Great Britain to Germany, from Russia to France; from Kofi Annan to Bill Clinton to George W. Bush, from Tony Blair to Gerhardt Schroeder, from Vladimir Putin to Jacques Chirac. The United States wasn't alone in believing there were WMD in Iraq

Intellectual Conservative

Tarantulas wrote:
So you're saying the German Foreign Minister was privy to his country's full intelligence evaluation? From what he said, he could just have been making himself a pain in the butt to oppose the US intentions.

Right. So what do we have here, in terms of "articles that are easy to find"?

There's the German Foreign Minister saying he was "not convinced". But the German Foreign Minister might not have had access to his own intelligence agencies' information, you say.

Then there's a quote from "Intellectual Conservative" asserting - not providing any evidence, mind you, merely asserting - that the intelligence of Schroeder (etc) did say Iraq still had WMD.

So I am to accept the word of "Intellectual Conservative" over that of the German Foreign Minister over what German intelligence was saying, at the time?

That's a joke, right?

Tarantulas wrote:
There was a consensus of opinion worldwide that Saddam had WMD. Deny it all you want, but that doesn't make it untrue.

Asserting it all you want doesnt make it true, either.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:32 pm
Now Tarantulas, since you're new here I'll take a moment to emphasize that the "Intellectual Conservative" (an oxymoron if ever there was one), the Moonie Times and the Weekly Standard are hardly unbiased sources. So a good bit of your attempt to denigrate Mr. Clarke comes from the conservative Wurlitzer merrily ringing out its Rove-conducted opus.

The rest is just false.

Clarke is a registered Republican, appointed by Reagan, a career civil servant for thirty years under Bush the Elder as well as Clinton and Dubya. Believe it or not, he doesn't have a political axe to grind, and that comes from many people who know him well.

Fred Kaplan in Slate explains why anyone who discounts Richard Clarke just might be a liar, an enabler, or a fool themselves:

Quote:

And William Saletan explains why the Shrub administration can't handle the truth:

Quote:
Notice what these four statements dismiss: Law enforcement. Pinpricks. Rolling it back. Swatting flies. That was why Clarke couldn't get a hearing. His ideas were too partial, too ad hoc, too Clintonesque. Bush wanted a bigger approach: Comprehensive. Strategy. Eliminate. Different. His "comprehensive strategy" was delivered on Sept. 4, 2001. Is the White House embarrassed that it spent those six months studying the "many complex issues involved in the development of the comprehensive strategy" instead of swatting the "flies" that would kill 3,000 Americans a week later? No. It's proud.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:48 pm
Tarantulas wrote:
But you know even the United Nations thought there were WMD in Iraq. Otherwise why would they have had inspectors there for so long? Many nations did believe the WMD were there, so a majority of delegates voted in the UN to send in weapons inspectors and keep them there for quite a while.

Well, quite. I already wrote, above, "Governments around the world, forsure, suspected that Iraq still had WMD."

What do you do if you suspect a country has illegal weapons, but you're not sure? You go check. If you can, that is. And this time, we could - the weapon inspectors had just gone in, and were pleading for more time.

The difference between "many nations" and the US is that the US claimed to not just suspect, but already KNOW, for sure, that Iraq still had WMD.

This is the core of our contention.

The US claimed to have conclusive intelligence on it. It showed some of it to the allies, who werent impressed much. It then said it had more intelligence still, but alas, nothing it could share. It was making a rather lonesome case to a reluctant UN that it HAD PROOF Iraq still had WMD, and in fact had enough to constitute an acute threat to world security that warranted war, right now - and that the rest of the world should just believe the US on its word that there was enough evidence for this.

It was on this count that, Fischer, like other foreign ministers, clearly let Rumsfeld know that he was "not convinced" by the purported evidence.

For months we went through this: the US claiming that its intel showed that there was enough evidence already that Iraq still had WMD (and acutely dangerous amounts of it), and the other countries saying that, since the evidence was inconclusive, the weapon inspectors should be given more time.

I'm sure there were many people who "believed" Iraq probably still had WMD. But there were only a few countries - namely, the US, the UK, Spain - that were "absolutely convinced that Saddam had WMD".

There's the rub. "Absolutely convinced", Bush was. So war it was. But dont try to make it seem now, retroactively, that other countries were too (let alone that "every intelligence agency in the world that had any information at all about Iraq" was). They weren't - hence the row.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:48 pm
So, basically, anyone who disagree's with Clarke is a liar, enabler or a fool?

That seems a bit partisan to me. The dem's love Clarke because he is helping them gain power for the upcoming election. the repub's hate him for the same reason. SO, once we can get past the rhetoric, it comes down to Clarke's credibility which is lacking if you ask me.

The Bush attack dogs are doing a very effective job of dis-crediting Clarke and his book does an equally condemning job. If Clarke were truly the concerned patriot he would have come forth without the book and confessed to the 9-11 committee. Instead, he wited until his book came out and is loving the free publicity.
0 Replies