The CBS 60 Minutes Richard Clarke Interview

PDiddie

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:09 pm
See, it's not about right or left...again.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:13 pm
It shouldn't be...but partisans on the Commission made sure it was.

Kerrey was an ass. Starting with a speech about Iraq empanelled on a Commission about preventing terrorism....
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:25 pm
Haha! I didn't hear anyone complaining that Kerrey was an ass when he was reaming democrats!
Apparently, he is an equal opportunity ass!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:59 am
Sofia, PDiddie

This one new in:

EDIT: not really "new" ... few days old, in fact. Will have to see what next week's poll numbers say ... I dont think it'll be much different, tho.

http://www.pollingreport.com/images/CBS911.GIF
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:18 am
More (interesting!) details below. (I've left out the "Don't Knows" cause the formatting sucks).

Basically, its amazing how much more nuanced the public opinion's view of these matters is than that of A2Kers.

I'd summarize the below as saying that the public:
- believes the Bush administration could and should have done more to prevent attacks like 9/11
- but at the same time believes that it wouldn't, in any case, have been able to prevent what actually happened on 9/11.

Perhaps its not so much that the general public is more nuanced than A2Kers - but that the A2Kers tend to each throw "their" half of the above conclusion at each other and call it a debate.

- "The Bush admin should have done more to prevent 9/11!"
- "You saying that they could have prevented 9/11? Ridiculous!"
- "You saying they couldnt have done more to prevent it? Preposterous!"

Et cetera.

Quote:
CBS News Poll. March 30-April 1, 2004.

"Was the Bush Administration paying enough or not enough attention to terrorism before September 11, 2001?"

Enough 17%
Not Enough 72%

"Was the Clinton Administration paying enough or not enough attention to terrorism before they left office?"

Enough 16%
Not Enough 71%

"Do you think the Bush Administration did all it could to prevent the 9/11 terrorist attacks, or could they have done more?"

Did All It Could 23%
Could Have Done More 67%

"Do you think the Clinton Administration did all it could before they left office to prevent the 9/11 terrorist attacks, or could they have done more?"

Did All It Could 17%
Could Have Done More 71%

"Do you think the intelligence agencies -- the FBI and CIA -- did all they could to prevent the 9/11 terrorist attacks, or could they have done more?"

Did All They Could 13%
Could Have Done More 79%

"Do you think the Bush Administration has focused too much on the Iraq war and not enough on the Al Qaeda terrorists, OR too much on the Al Qaeda terrorists and not enough on the Iraq war, OR has the balance been about right?"

Too Much On Iraq 41%
Too Much On Al Qaeda 3%
About Right 48%

"Overall, do you think the White House is or is not cooperating with the hearings investigating the September 11th terrorist attacks on the United States?"

Is 56%
Is Not 29%

"When it comes to what they knew prior to September 11th, 2001, about possible terrorist attacks against the United States, do you think members of the Bush Administration are telling the truth, are mostly telling the truth but hiding something, or are they mostly lying?"

Telling the Truth 24%
Hiding Something 59%
Mostly Lying 11%

Quote:
The Los Angeles Times Poll. March 27-30, 2004.

Here are some statements that have been made by both Clarke and the Bush Administration. Do you agree or disagree with the next four statements?

"President Bush failed to take the threat of terrorism seriously enough before the September 11, 2001, al Qaeda attacks on the World Trade Center in New York, and the Pentagon."

Agree 52%
Disagree 40%

"President Bush was more focused on attacking Iraq than dealing with terrorism as his top priority."

Agree 57%
Disagree 37%

"Richard CIarke is attacking the Bush Administration because he was turned down for the job of deputy secretary of the Department of Homeland Security."

Agree 28%
Disagree 42%

"Richard Clarke's book is politically motivated and released at this time to impact the presidential election."

Agree 58%
Disagree 27%

Quote:
CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll. March 26-28, 2004.

"Who are you more likely to believe in this matter: Richard Clarke or current members of the Bush Administration?" Options rotated

Clarke 44%
Current Members 46%

"Based on the information available to the Bush Administration before the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, do you think the Bush Administration did or did not do all that could be expected to prevent the terrorist attacks?"

Did 42%
Did Not 54%

"Based on the information available to the Clinton Administration in the 1990s, do you think the Clinton Administration did or did not do all that could be expected to prevent terrorist attacks?"

Did 32%
Did Not 62%

"Do you think the Bush Administration should have been able to prevent the terrorist attacks on September 11th, or not?"

Should Have 27%
Should Not Have 67%

"Do you think the Bush Administration is or is not covering up something about its handling of intelligence information concerning possible terrorist attacks before September 11, 2001?"

Is 53%
Is Not 41%

"Which comes closer to your view of George W. Bush's actions concerning terrorism after the terrorist attacks on September 11th? Bush did not pay enough attention to the threat against the United States from al Qaeda because he was too concerned about Saddam Hussein. OR, Bush paid the right amount of attention to the threat against the United States from al Qaeda." Options rotated

Not Enough 46%
Right Amount 49%
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:28 am
Sofia wrote:
This seems logical. Bush had been in office only about eight months when the attacks took place, and it has become increasingly clear as a result of recent news reports and testimony at the 9/11 commission that Bill Clinton and his administration were well aware of the problems posed by terrorists and Osama bin Laden throughout Clinton's two terms in the 1990s.

But then of course - reality check - Clinton actually did cruisemissile the Al-Qaeda guys ... I'm not aware of any similar military attack on Al-Qaeda targets by the Bush admin, before 9/11.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:30 am
I'm amazed at the balance (my view) in the CBS poll numbers. People genuinely and overwhelmingly seem to see this as something neither Bush nor Clinton can be blamed for, but about which each administration could reasonably have been expected to do more.

These results at least, seem to put the lie to the notion that "Joe 6-pack" isn't paying attention and has no valid opinion on the big issues.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:58 am
Quote:
They let them slip in and hit us, and now they are trying to sweep it under the rug.

You know what? You're right about this, absolutely right. But I'm not sure you and I share the same definition of "they." Here's my definition of "they" the way it's used in that sentence.

The President
The National Security Advisor
The Secretary of Defense
The Secretary of State
The FBI
The CIA
The (former) Immigration and Naturalization Service
The cops
The press
The flight school instructors
The airport security screeners
The flight attendants
The passengers on those planes
The neighbors of the terrorists
The owners, staff, and patrons of the strip clubs where the terrorists hung out

Basically, my "they" includes over two hundred million people, every citizen of this country whether at home or abroad.

"But," you say, "How could a three year old kid in Jackson, Wyoming or a submarine sailor off the coast of Hawaii have known about the plot?"

Well, maybe you're right, so we'll take those two off the list.

"Now," says you, "How would the cops in Nevada or South Dakota or most other states know about the plot if the terrorists didn't live there?"

Okay, I'll give you that one too, so we'll take most of the cops off that list.

"In fact," you continue, growing confident, "You should take everyone off your list who had no way of knowing about the plot."

I should? All right, everyone who couldn't have known about the 9/11 plot has been removed. Let's see who's left on the list now.

The terrorists. That's all.

The plot was so well hidden that NO ONE knew about it but the terrorists. No one else had any way of knowing about it unless the terrorists slipped up and revealed the information somehow. They didn't do that, either in this country or in Afghanistan. So if you're looking for someone to blame, blame the terrorists. Because no one else had any idea this was going to happen.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 12:01 pm
What? It's the terrorists' fault? You fascist! :wink:
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 12:07 pm
Wonderful post, Tarantulas! Simply wonderful. Cool
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 12:32 pm
Very Happy Thank you!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 12:43 pm
Tarantulas wrote:
The plot was so well hidden that NO ONE knew about it but the terrorists. [..] So if you're looking for someone to blame, blame the terrorists. Because no one else had any idea this was going to happen.

Yeh, I think that post perfectly falls within my description of the A2K debate above.

In the end, the one guilty party for the death of the 9/11 victims are the Al Qaeda terrorists. I think all of us agree. (And any poster who does call Bush the "murderer", for example, can simply be disregarded, cause (s)he obviously can't be taken seriously.)

The administration couldn't have known, on the basis of the information it had, that the terrorists would hijack passenger planes and fly them into New York and the Pentagon, on 9/11/2001. There is most probably no briefing lying around in an NSA office somewhere saying, "hey, people, you know whats gonna happen next September 11?" I think most of us agree.

There were lots of warnings that something was going to happen. There was even a warning, apparently, that one possible scenario was of Al-Qaeda hijacking planes and using them as bombs. Still, whether it was one of a hundred or one of a thousand scenarios, even such a warning in itself couldnt have enabled the administration to wake up on 9/11 and know: this is what we have to do.

But did the administration respond with appropriate urgency and efficiency to the warnings that were sounded? Was it sufficiently aware of it being Al-Qaeda that was the prime danger to America's safety, at the moment? Were warnings about Al-Qaeda belittled as concerning "that little man in Afghanistan", when it was pointed out? Did the administration fail to implement policies that would have at least prevented one or the other of the hijackers from entering the country, getting onto a plane, et cetera? And was this because they were insufficiently focused on Al Qaeda, perhaps because they had their eyes set on Iraq? Could Rice, as National Security Advisor, perhaps spontaneously have come up with the idea to order more thorough research, more intense surveillance, more stringent clampdown on suspicious persons, when after all she was getting all those abstract warnings of something really big being about to happen? Could we have had more specific intell on what was about to happen, if the administration had been sufficiently focused on the threat posed by what after all was an obvious enemy? Did Rumsfeld c.s. fail to see certain patterns in the chatter because they were so intent on finding a Saddam link that they discounted, even sent back intell that didnt fit their preconceptions? In short, could the US have been better prepared, at least, for what was about to happen?

Those are some of the quite specific questions I've seen raised here. And rhetorical assertions about "noone being to blame but the terrorists" do little to answer them. As little as the unending retorts that focus on the questioner's credibility (e.g. Clarke's), in fact. Both strike one as attempts to change the subject and/or duck the questions.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 01:26 pm
Ah! Now we're talking!

nimh wrote:
In the end, the one guilty party for the death of the 9/11 victims are the Al Qaeda terrorists. I think all of us agree. (And any poster who does call Bush the "murderer", for example, can simply be disregarded, cause (s)he obviously can't be taken seriously.)

The administration couldn't have known, on the basis of the information it had, that the terrorists would hijack passenger planes and fly them into New York and the Pentagon, on 9/11/2001. There is most probably no briefing lying around in an NSA office somewhere saying, "hey, people, you know whats gonna happen next September 11?" I think most of us agree.

There were lots of warnings that something was going to happen. There was even a warning, apparently, that one possible scenario was of Al-Qaeda hijacking planes and using them as bombs. Still, whether it was one of a hundred or one of a thousand scenarios, even such a warning in itself couldnt have enabled the administration to wake up on 9/11 and know: this is what we have to do.

Okay, good, we've established that the administration had no way of knowing what was going to happen

nimh wrote:
But did the administration respond with appropriate urgency and efficiency to the warnings that were sounded? Was it sufficiently aware of it being Al-Qaeda that was the prime danger to America's safety, at the moment?

1. Since the President's very first national security directive was one that would eliminate Al Qaeda, I would say Yes to this one.

nimh wrote:
Were warnings about Al-Qaeda belittled as concerning "that little man in Afghanistan", when it was pointed out?

2. See answer #1. I say No.

nimh wrote:
Did the administration fail to implement policies that would have at least prevented one or the other of the hijackers from entering the country, getting onto a plane, et cetera?

3. IIRC the hijackers had been in the country for years by the time GWB took office. So, No.

nimh wrote:
And was this because they were insufficiently focused on Al Qaeda, perhaps because they had their eyes set on Iraq?

4. See answer #1. No to "insufficiently focused."

nimh wrote:
Could Rice, as National Security Advisor, perhaps spontaneously have come up with the idea to order more thorough research, more intense surveillance, more stringent clampdown on suspicious persons, when after all she was getting all those abstract warnings of something really big being about to happen?

5. Yes. It's possible she could have done many things spontaneously. As she said, most of it would have been focused overseas where the terrorist threats were coming from and directed against. There was no reason to suspect internal terrorism on 9/10.

nimh wrote:
Could we have had more specific intell on what was about to happen, if the administration had been sufficiently focused on the threat posed by what after all was an obvious enemy?

6. See #1 and #4. The administration was sufficiently focused and was in the process of gathering information for contingency action. I say No to this one.

nimh wrote:
Did Rumsfeld c.s. fail to see certain patterns in the chatter because they were so intent on finding a Saddam link that they discounted, even sent back intell that didnt fit their preconceptions?

7. The focus was on the Taliban and Al Qaeda according to the directive. I say No.

nimh wrote:
In short, could the US have been better prepared, at least, for what was about to happen?

I don't see how we could have done anything better given the circumstances. My answer is No.

nimh wrote:
Those are some of the quite specific questions I've seen raised here. And rhetorical assertions about "noone being to blame but the terrorists" do little to answer them. As little as the unending retorts that focus on the questioner's credibility (e.g. Clarke's), in fact. Both strike one as attempts to change the subject and/or duck the questions.

I live to serve. Very Happy I hope the above answers quell your fears that anyone is trying to avoid important questions.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 03:15 pm
nimh - You seem to be pretty good at finding obscure (to me, anyway) factoids on-line. In furtherance of your points above, it would be useful to have a feel for how many threats the US government tracks on any given day, during any given week, during any given month, ... It's easy to argue that the US could have paid more attention to warnings of this specific threat (assuming such warnings were evidently warnings of this threat before the fact, rather than apparently pointing to 9/11 now that it has happened and we have hindsight to fit the pieces together), when we make that statement as if this specific threat were unique or had something about it to make it stand out from all other threats.

Again, it would be useful to know in more specific numbers what kind of threats the US deals with on a regular basis, and how often these threats come to nothing. Then, the question of why this threat was not recognized or focused upon might be seen in a different light.

Oh, and by the way, I blame no one but the terrorists. :wink: (And if someone kills someone I love today, I won't blame the police for not stopping it from happening, I will blame the person who did it.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 06:19 pm
Tarantulas wrote:
nimh wrote:
Were warnings about Al-Qaeda belittled as concerning "that little man in Afghanistan", when it was pointed out?

2. See answer #1. I say No.

Yet thats a quote from how Clarke told it. He's lying?

Tarantulas wrote:
nimh wrote:
Did the administration fail to implement policies that would have at least prevented one or the other of the hijackers from entering the country, getting onto a plane, et cetera?

3. IIRC the hijackers had been in the country for years by the time GWB took office. So, No.

Thats not true. Several of the hijackers travelled out and into the country in the months immediately preceding 9/11.

Random news quote on this:

"the commission's attention has turned to the nine months before the Sept. 11 attacks [..] It was also the period in which most of the suicide hijackers entered the United States and made their final preparations for attack." (NYTimes, today)

Tarantulas wrote:
nimh wrote:
Could Rice, as National Security Advisor, perhaps spontaneously have come up with the idea to order more thorough research, more intense surveillance, more stringent clampdown on suspicious persons [..]?

5. Yes. It's possible she could have done many things spontaneously. As she said, most of it would have been focused overseas where the terrorist threats were coming from and directed against. There was no reason to suspect internal terrorism on 9/10.

"No reason to suspect internal terrorism", apart from security briefings headlined "Bin Laden determined to attack inside the United States".

Tarantulas wrote:
nimh wrote:
Could we have had more specific intell on what was about to happen, if the administration had been sufficiently focused on the threat posed by what after all was an obvious enemy?

6. See #1 and #4. The administration was sufficiently focused and was in the process of gathering information for contingency action. I say No to this one.

nimh wrote:
In short, could the US have been better prepared, at least, for what was about to happen?

I don't see how we could have done anything better given the circumstances. My answer is No.

Let me quote Thomas Kean, the Republican chairman of the commission, on this, since he seems to have overtaken me to my "left":

NYTimes wrote:
"This was not something that had to happen," said Thomas H. Kean, the chairman of the commission and a former Republican governor of New Jersey. Mr. Kean has gone further than other panel members in arguing that the attacks were clearly preventable.

"There are many examples," he said in an interview. "People got into this country with improper travel documents. People were placed on watch lists but nobody communicated that to airports.

In more detail, also still from the same article:

NY Times wrote:
With new evidence made public almost daily to show how the Sept. 11 attacks might have been prevented, the independent commission investigating them says its final report will offer a book-length chronology of the law-enforcement, intelligence and military failures that stopped the government from understanding the threat of Al Qaeda until it was too late.

Many of the missed opportunities are well documented, especially those in the months before the attacks: the Central Intelligence Agency's delay until August 2001 of raising an alert about two of the terrorists, who by then were already in the country; the Federal Bureau of Investigation's failure to follow up on a warning in July from a Phoenix agent that Qaeda terrorists might be training at American flight schools; and the bureau's failure to understand the significance of Zacarias Moussaoui, the flight school student arrested in Minnesota a month later and later linked to the Sept. 11 hijackers. [..]

In her long-awaited testimony to the commission on Thursday, Condoleezza Rice, Mr. Bush's national security adviser, acknowledged that the briefing contained a blunt warning that Osama bin Laden intended to attack "inside the United States" and that the F.B.I. had detected a "suspicious pattern" that could suggest plans for a domestic hijacking.

On Friday, government officials provided other details about the contents of the briefing report given to the president, including a warning that Al Qaeda might have a support network in the United States and that terrorists might try to attack with explosives within American borders. [..]

One of the most important of those dots was sitting in the files of midlevel analysts at the intelligence agency, which has acknowledged that it knew in 2000 about the danger posed by two Qaeda operatives who were later among the Sept. 11 hijackers, Khalid al-Midhar and Nawaq Alhazmi; they had attended a terrorist planning meeting in January 2000 in Malaysia.

Tarantulas wrote:
nimh wrote:
Those are some of the quite specific questions I've seen raised here. And rhetorical assertions about "noone being to blame but the terrorists" do little to answer them.

I live to serve. Very Happy I hope the above answers quell your fears that anyone is trying to avoid important questions.

<grins> Most appreciated Razz . However, your post was rather, ehm, focused on statements of conviction, rather than arguments for your case.

I know you believe that the government was sufficiently focused on Al-Qaeda and that their focus on Iraq did not appreciably distract from that and that nothing could have done better before 9/11 than how the Bush admin did it - but in a string of posts in this thread there have been specific references to allegations by Clarke, findings that came up in the Commission's hearings, etc, that quite specifically challenge some of these convictions.

Reason I included the above paragraph is that many of your answers (and those of your kindred spirits) had either focused on saying Clarke cant be trusted anyway, because [unrelated factoid A. B and C], or that merely asking the question of what could have been done to prevent Al-Qaeda to attack in such a devastating way is somehow kinda unpatriotic, for 'we all know only Al-Qaeda can be blamed for what happened'.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 06:29 pm
Had messed up the formatting in the post above - edited it, should be intelligible now after all.

Scrat wrote:
nimh - You seem to be pretty good at finding obscure (to me, anyway) factoids on-line. In furtherance of your points above, it would be useful to have a feel for how many threats the US government tracks on any given day, during any given week, during any given month, ... [..]

Again, it would be useful to know in more specific numbers what kind of threats the US deals with on a regular basis, and how often these threats come to nothing. [..]

Yes, would be useful. If I ever happen to come across it I'll post it here. But in the meantime feel free to look for yourself.

All I do is Google, anyone can do it - tho, as I already almost said on the other thread, you tend to ask other people stuff that tends to be, in fact, quite difficult to corroborate exactly - and of course, if they then dont comply, their silence supposedly speaks volumes about their presumed lack of evidence ... or something ...

I do appreciate the compliment about my googling skills, thank you Razz , but on the one hand I prefer not to be seen as A2K's house documentalist (not enough time in a day), and on the other I'm kinda distrustful (or call it paranoid) about that particular above-mentioned rhetorical trick.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 06:33 pm
Dammit.
He's not going to be the house documentalist anymore.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 06:36 pm
But..but...my house is still undocumentaleded! Sad
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 06:37 pm
LOL! You two ... <grins>
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 06:38 pm
Moi?