Pepper or Seasoning

gollum

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 07:30 pm
I just switched to olive oil in my salads to improve my diet. However, I find that the salad tastes bland now. Is there some kind of pepper or seasoning I can add to make it taste better while remaining healthy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,295 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 10:19 pm
@gollum,
Lemon juice and your favorite dijon mustard.
0 Replies

MilonJones

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 08:27 pm
@gollum,
Hello Friends,

Seasonings include herbs and spices, which are themselves frequently referred to as "seasonings". However, Larousse Gastronomique states that "to season and to flavour are not the same thing", insisting that seasoning includes a large or small amount of salt being added to a preparation. Salt may be used to draw out water, or to magnify a natural flavor of a food making it richer or more delicate, depending on the dish. This type of procedure is akin to curing. For instance, kosher salt (a coarser-grained salt) is rubbed into chicken, lamb, and beef to tenderize the meat and improve flavor. Other seasonings like black pepper and basil transfer some of their flavor to the food. A well designed dish may combine seasonings that complement each other.

Thanks and Regards,
Milon Jones
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 08:56 pm
@gollum,
Look up salad dressing recipes. Many people put some herbs, fresh or dried, in their dressings, but that depends on what herbs you like. Check them out!

Different countries tend to have differing recipes.
0 Replies