Does this article sound natural in English?

oristarA

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 04:53 am
@contrex,
I'm interested and read it through. Very Happy
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 10:09 am
@contrex,
Anyone who would accept that nonsense doesn't deserve to be called 'sir'.
contrex

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 10:48 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Anyone who would accept that nonsense doesn't deserve to be called 'sir'.

Absolutely. One thing I hate about my country of birth is all that outdated and meaningless flummery. When an award of an honour is being contemplated, the intended recipient is sent a discreet letter asking if they will accept it. Many people refuse.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 11:28 am
@oristarA,
I think "by" should be removed………..But I am not sure whether it should be "in 2000 named one of…….."

Me neither Ori; when I said "…..., though some guesswork" I was perfectly serious. Not knowing the circumstances I daresay the sentence is subject to dozens if not scores of interpretations
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 11:58 am
Nobody, I think, has remarked on the word "Depravation" in the first post. Although the word exists, it is somewhat archaic, and a native speaker would be much more likely to use "depravity".

Furthermore, to attack Evans using either word for merely saying what he did is laughably and ridiculously inappropriate.

JTT

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 09:59 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Nobody, I think, has remarked on the word "Depravation" in the first post.

I did. Just not your remarks, C.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 08:08 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Nobody, I think, has remarked on the word "Depravation" in the first post. Although the word exists, it is somewhat archaic, and a native speaker would be much more likely to use "depravity".

Excellent.

contrex wrote:

Furthermore, to attack Evans using either word for merely saying what he did is laughably and ridiculously inappropriate.

I failed to understand this, Contrext.
Did you mean: Furthermore, that (the author has used the word depravation or the word depravity to attack Evans because Evans merely said what he/Evans did) is laughably and ridiculously inappropriate?
contrex

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 11:25 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Did you mean: Furthermore, that (the author has used the word depravation or the word depravity to attack Evans because Evans merely said what he/Evans did) is laughably and ridiculously inappropriate?

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. What is the nature of your incomprehension?

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 12:23 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
The original article was written in Chinese and published on Dr. Fang's own blog.

I would remove 'own' from that sentence.

~~~~~~

Quote:
In this commentary he denounced the criticism of Ping Fu's memoir by world-wide Chinese community as a persecution of her.

I would amend this to read

In that commentary he denounced criticism of Ping Fu's memoir by the world-wide Chinese community as persecution of her.

I'd also use a different word instead of commentary.

~~~~~~~~~

this seems a bit awkward to me

Quote:
Last November he just won the combined Nature and Sense About Science inaugural John Maddox Prize for standing up for science.

To begin with, he was one of two winners. Secondly, it isn't a combined prize.

http://www.nature.com/news/john-maddox-prize-1.11750

Quote:
Sponsored by Nature and the Kohn Foundation, and stimulated and organized by the UK-based charity Sense About Science,

"he just won" - does that mean it is all he won? or did he win it recently?

~~~~~~~~~

what is meant by diaries here?

Quote:
please read my previous diaries

~~~~~~~

Quote:
attributed the emergence of a large number of negative book reviews to two possible reasons:

1. Sockpuppets.

where is 2?

~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
his sagely image

what is that supposed to mean (in 5 words or less)?

~~~~

Quote:
At the end of last month, hundreds of negative reviews, most apparently written by Chinese Americans, began to appear and pulled the average rating to less than 2 stars.

what made the author think that most of the negative reviews were written by Chinese-Americans?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 12:24 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Does this article sound natural in English?

not really - it reads like a translation
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 12:25 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
the word "Depravation" in the first post. Although the word exists, it is somewhat archaic, and a native speaker would be much more likely to use "depravity".

agreed
ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 12:35 pm
@ehBeth,
Depravation, which I gather is an archaic word, confused me when I first saw it, as I wondered for a second if an author had misspelled deprivation, a word common in english usage, that has a different meaning.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 01:27 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Although the word exists, it is somewhat archaic, and a native speaker would be much more likely to use "depravity".

I don't think 'depravity' is as good here. The author doesn't describe Evans as always in a state of depravity. That author describes the process from "hero" to something less so.

Quote:

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/depravation
noun depravation

(formal) the state or process of corruption

Quote:

The author made a good case for the moral depravation of Evans. He set out, initially, how he had been seen as such a moral man, a real crusader. Then he pointed up things that just don't seem kosher for a man like this.

The word doesn't necessarily mean that he is a sex fiend, a boinker of beasts. It merely refers to someone who becomes morally corrupt, which could be as simple as someone who fails to follow fair journalistic practices.

Quote:
This brought special attention from Evans, who attacked Lin with the horrible line "Male, female, or hermaphrodite."
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 01:29 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Quote:
The original article was written in Chinese and published on Dr. Fang's own blog.

Quote:
I would remove 'own' from that sentence.

Why?

Quote:

his sagely image

Quote:
what is that supposed to mean (in 5 words or less)?

his image as a sage.

Quote:
1. Sockpuppets.

where is 2?

Two paragraphs below 1.

Speaking of sockpuppets, is this Setanta posting as Beth?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 02:45 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
I think "by" should be removed from "in 2000 named by International Press Institute's Fifty World Press Freedom Heroes of the Past Fifty Years."
No Ori that wouldn't work

Quote:
But I am not sure whether it should be "….one of ……"
Could well be
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 02:53 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
but it quoted the criticism out of context in an attempt to label the criticism as an organized smear campaign,

how does the author know what the reason was for quoting the criticism out of context?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 02:54 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Initially, Ping Fu's memoir received mostly five-star (highest) reviews, written by Americans.

how does the author know the initial reviews were written by Americans?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 02:56 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
She had promoted Ping Fu's memoir on the National Public Radio in the United States.

drop "the" in front of National Public Radio.

National Public Radio is the name of the organization.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 02:56 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
how does the author know the initial reviews were written by Americans?

And what does it prove if they were?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 02:59 pm
@contrex,
that's a separate question eh Laughing
0 Replies