Vocabulary 'take in account'

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 08:45 am
Hi English Teachers,
Are my sentences acceptable? Thanks a lot in advance.
I asked my father to lend me money for an education. However, after taking into account for years, he has not lent me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 723 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Loh Jane
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 09:15 am
The first sentence is fine. The second sentence is nonsense.

However, after taking into account for years, he has not lent me.

After taking what into account? Has not lent you what? To take something into account means to give consideration to a known quality or quantity, and to make a judgment based on that. So, one might say "After taking into account my careless ways with money . . ." Obviously, you mean he has not lent you money for your education, but you still have to say it.

However, after taking into account my profligate way for years, he has not lent me the money i asked him for.

Loh Jane

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 09:26 am
@Setanta,
Hi Sentanta thank you,
but can I say 'after taking into account the loan for years?
Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 09:30 am
@Loh Jane,
No, not really--take into account means to give consideration to something before making a decision. If he had not loaned you any money, he could hardly take "the loan" into account. He might take into account your request for a loan, but that wouldn't make much sense either. The decision he has to make is whether or not to loan you money. The fact that you asked for the loan is not likely to be something which would sway his decision one way or the other. Some things which may well affect his decision are how well you handle money, how well you attend to your studies, whether or not he thinks you need more education. Are you getting what i'm saying?

(EDIT: some typos here, i've corrected them)
Loh Jane

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 09:40 am
@Setanta,
Yes I can understand,thanks for your explanation.
0 Replies