What does "braving ...the crowds" mean?

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 01:49 am
Braving the cold, yes, it is well understood. But braving the crowds? I fail to understand it.

Context:

The Obama Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial” Washington, D.C. Sunday, January 18, 2009

I want to thank all the speakers and performers for reminding us, through song and through words, just what it is that we love about America. And I want to thank all of you for braving the cold and the crowds and traveling in some cases thousands of miles to join us here today. Welcome to Washington, and welcome to this celebration of American renewal.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 5,645 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 02:42 am
@oristarA,
My interpretations.

He is saying I want to thank all of you for coming, even though it is cold and crowded. It is impressive to see so many willing to come despite the conditions.
0 Replies

JPB
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 06:13 am
@oristarA,
Many people avoid crowded situations. Crowds, in some cases, can cause a claustrophobic-type reaction. It also means that traffic will be horrid, that waits will be long for taxis and/or trains. Large crowds tend to put a negative cast on an event in the minds of many.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 07:00 am
@oristarA,
"Braving" means to face with courage so braving the cold and crowds means stoically putting up with the weather and congestion.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 09:26 am
Thank you all.
0 Replies