Is religion responsible for the opposition to peace in the Israel-Palestine conflict?

JTT

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:51 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
I've searched around and haven't come across anything that identifies this group. Who is this group?

Finn will be along shortly to fill you in, Infra. He was, after all, the guy who made the claim.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 07:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Verbal history has been passed down since man could talk. I think 10 to 15 thousand years is an under estimate.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 07:54 pm
@RABEL222,
Verbal history is not reliable, because of the change inherent in the transfer from one person to the next, and generation after generation. Do you have any evidence that the verbal history you are talking about can be confirmed by anything else?

Even during trials, the witnesses that see a crime or accident see different things - that might even conflict with each other.

My only question would be, how reliable is oral history?
Moment-in-Time

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 10:11 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

Verbal history is not reliable, because of the change inherent in the transfer from one person to the next, and generation after generation.

How very true, Cicerone. Man's memory is imperfect and each of us perceive events differently, colored by one's emotion and one's bias, often subjectively. It is said Jesus walked on water, defying gravity. No one writing about this unusualness were around to witness this and after 3 days of decomposition, it was proclaimed Jesus rose from the dead, transformed, showing himself before his disciples. No one writing about this *miracle* observed this but those among us who choose to believe Jesus was the son of God will have no problem convincing themselves this did occur.

Any oral history should always be suspect unless there is documentation written down at the time to authenticate this.

Cicerone wrote:
Quote:

Even during trials, the witnesses that see a crime or accident see different things - that might even conflict with each other.

Now your above statement is an excellent example.

Cicerone wrote:
Quote:
My only question would be, how reliable is oral history?

In my personal opinion, not much unless two people never having met each other repeated practically the same identical things with minor word adjustment or a similar scenario.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 02:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thank you ci. You just made my point. Ancient history is based on verbal history. And yes I agree verbal history cant be relied on. Washington cutting down the cherry tree was in my history book as truth and was only 150 years old as a story. History is written by the winner of wars.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 04:02 pm
@InfraBlue,
Please
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 04:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Good Lord!

You simply can't contain your anti-Semitic urges can you?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 04:06 pm
@InfraBlue,
You must have searched the space behind your stupid ass.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 04:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Anybody who disproves of the way Jews are treating Palestinians are anti-Semites. What a dork! FYI, there are many Jews who you consider anti-Semites. You are too stupid to know or understand that the treatment of Palestinians in Israel is an abomination!

From Haaretz.
Quote:
Jewish anti-Zionist academic insists Israeli occupation is un-Jewish
In attempting to make a case for a specifically Jewish critique of Israeli state violence, Berkeley professor Judith Butler argues that even at its most liberal, Zionism is profoundly un-Jewish.
By Carlo Strenger | Dec.10, 2012 | 12:18 PM | 68

Judith Butler. Her life's work is about nuances, but she unquestioningly accepts simplistic premises about Zionism. Photo by Lior Mizrahi

Text size

Protestors demonstrating against Israel in New York. Nothing less than a radical decoupling of Jewishness and Zionism will do for Butler. Photo by AP

RELATED ARTICLES
From the diary of a self-hating Jew
By Daniel Monterescu | Dec.10,2012 | 12:18 PM | 7

Parting Ways: Jewishness and the Critique of Zionism, by Judith Butler. Columbia University Press, 256 pages, $28

Judith Butler has rightly been described as an academic superstar. She is one of the most quoted scholars in the humanities, and has also acquired fame − or notoriety, depending on one’s viewpoint − as a political activist. She has been highly critical of Israel’s occupation policy, describes herself as an anti-Zionist, and endorses the BDS movement, which advocates boycotting and divesting from Israel and imposing sanctions against it.
JTT

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 04:45 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Or not, Infra.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 04:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Good Lord!

You simply can't contain your anti-Semitic urges can you?

CI wrote:
Quote:
What bothers me most is that the "good" Jews are few who speak out against this atrocity. I know there are many, but where are they?

If he had written,

What bothers me most is that the "good" Germans are few who speak out against this atrocity. I know there are many, but where are they?

would he have been anti-German?

Perhaps Finn will explain himself

or not.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 05:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You have proven yourself to be an anti-Semite, and a horse's ass for always doubling down.

Not everyone who criticizes Israel is an anti-Semite, but you sure are.

You can't even help yourself with your postings about good Jews.

You are vile and I'm not about to ignore you so perhaps you should "ignore" me.

JTT

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 05:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You didn't explain yet, Finn. Yet you doubled down.

Quote:
You are vile and I'm not about to ignore you so perhaps you should "ignore" me.

Oh, you only ignore those who have your number. Man, that must be some list you have there, Finnius.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 10:32 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Ohh, you were talking out of your ass.

Figures.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 10:58 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
You are talking out of your ass; my wife and I are considering living in a Jewish retirement community in Palo Alto. I worked for Florsheim Shoe Company when I graduated from college, and they promoted me to Audit Manager after 3.5 years as field auditor. I've also had two Jews who were my boss at other companies, and they have treated me very well.

One of my friend is a rocket scientist, Bob Brodsky. I met him on a cruise on the Mexican Riviera in 2008, and we've kept in touch ever since. He started Astronautics at USC and Iowa State Universities. Oh yea, he's a Jew.

Your ass (brain) knows no bounds, and is lost in its void.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 11:23 am
@cicerone imposter,
Finn has learnt that if you accuse Isreal's detractors of anti-Semitism you can ignore/dismiss the points they make.

When Oralboy described the Palestinians as vermin, Finn's silence was deafening.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 02:48 pm
@izzythepush,
I have oralloy on Ignore.

Care to leap to another conclusion?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 02:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I repeat: Not every critic of Israel is anti-Semitic, but you are.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 03:03 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Why?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 03:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't know why you are, I only know based on your repeated anti-Semitic comments that you are.