Is religion responsible for the opposition to peace in the Israel-Palestine conflict?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 04:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You just can't help yourself CI can you?

Not "the Israelis," but " the Jews in Israel."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 04:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Maybe you didn't understand the question. Allow me to rephrase it:

What is there on the political ladder left for him to climb?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 04:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Damn Jews, they've even corrupted The One!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 04:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
He wants to be President of The World Frank and you can't possibly achieve that lofty post without money from Jews. Just ask CI.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 04:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I didn't understand the q, but thanks for your clarification.

It's more than Obama's political ladder to climb; it's about his judgement and ethics about how "his" government treats others around the world which will last longer than his remaining time in office. He only exacerbates the misguided support for Israel that doesn't help the Palestinians or our relationship with most in the Middle East - or our history as the "defender of democracy."

nydia2013

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 05:13 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

He wants to be President of The World Frank and you can't possibly achieve that lofty post without money from Jews. Just ask CI.

I disagree. Obama raised quite a bit of money which included all groups. If he needed Jewish money so badly he would have visited Israel during his first term and kowtowed to them, as opposed to visiting Egypt and other middle east countries.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 05:34 pm
@nydia2013,
You disagree?

How quaint.

It was sarcasm, not to be agreed or disagreed with on it's face.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 07:07 pm
Obama has given the Isralies the official U.S. go ahead to do to the Palistainans what ever hell they want to. As far as i am concerned he is just another crooked chicagoin politician with no conscience.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 07:45 pm
@RABEL222,
Welcome to the Club you so excoriated in the past.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 10:44 am
Quote:
Obama made no explicit demands of Israel but said its people should understand that specific actions, notably ongoing construction of Jewish housing on disputed territory, can hurt the chances for restarting stalled peace talks with the Palestinians, who have made a halt to such building a demand for returning to negotiations.
"Israelis must recognize that continued settlement activity is counterproductive to the cause of peace, and that an independent Palestine must be viable with real borders that have to be drawn," he said. "No single step is going to erase years of history and propaganda, but progress with the Palestinians is a powerful way to begin, while sidelining extremists who thrive on conflict and thrive on division. It would make a difference."

Obama speaks to the issue of settlements without any pre-conditions, but also guarantees US support of Israel.

Israel has heard this message from "everybody" for many decades, but ignore it.

Our unconditional support of Israel is the problem, and Obama only proves this point.

Our so-called support of democracy in other countries are a sham.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 11:59 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

Our unconditional support of Israel is the problem...

Our unconditional support of Israel is a huge part of the problem. The fact that the powers that were decided to put Israel where it did is another huge part of the problem.

Quote:
... and Obama only proves this point.

That was simply a gratuitous hit on Obama. Obama does not prove any point on this issue.

Quote:
Our so-called support of democracy in other countries are a sham.

Our so-called support for other countries in the Middle East is a sham. Our protestations that we are mediators in the conflict between Israel and any other countries in that area are a sham to the point of absurdity.

Everyone in the Middle East would be better off if the United States simply announced that starting immediately, it will have nothing to do with any parties involved in the conflicts in that area.

The killing would be horrendous...not only in wars between Israel and other countries...but wars between non-Israeli countries and civil wars. But if we stayed out of it, the conflict would ultimately resolve itself. If we stay in...particularly with Israel getting unqualified support from us...this thing will drag out through eternity.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 12:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You wrote,
Quote:
That was simply a gratuitous hit on Obama. Obama does not prove any point on this issue.

Yes, he certainly did; his unconditional support of Israel reinforced to the Palestinians that they don't have a prayer for their future.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 12:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,

Quote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5283778)
You wrote,
Quote:

Yes, he certainly did; his unconditional support of Israel reinforced to the Palestinians that they don't have a prayer for their future.

No...Obama does not prove the point...nor any point on this issue.

It was, as I said, a gratuitous hit by you on Obama.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 07:26 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Before the election he dident give the Isralies the right to do whatever they wanted with the absolute backing of the U.S. but after his statement Obama gave them the ok to do anything they wanted to to the palistinans including a war with Iran. It dosent make any difference wether Israel starts it or not we are commited to back these murderious animals by our president. I hope you dont have any grandchildren of fighting age because they are also commited to war. You are wrong on this one. It is not a gratuitous hit. He did it to himself and the rest of us.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 08:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
If you can show me that Israel is a "true" democracy with equal legal status for Palestinians, and the support Obama gave Israel is in support of those rights, I'll more than be happy to agree with you. But in this instance, you are flat wrong - and so is Obama. Nothing gratuitous here; it's fact.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 08:28 pm
@RABEL222,
You and ci may be correct. We'll see how this plays out.

Sometimes a politician says what he has to say in the time and space in which he is speaking.

But politicians have been known to lie...sometimes for a decent reason. There is a better chance that Israel will not go it alone today than there was yesterday. "The plan" may well have been to defuse and preemptive moves on Israel's part with regard to Iran.

No matter what...Israel has become a bomb strapped to our body. Dealing with a bomb strapped to one's body requires delicacy when trying to contain it.

RABEL222

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 01:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Or we could tell them as a nation you are crazy and we will no longer back your corrupt government.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 09:21 pm
Is religion an impediment to peace?
Who is it telling young men it is their god given duty to kill their fellow humans? Who blesses the battleships and cannons?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 04:36 pm
@RABEL222,
Interesting. I agree with most of Georgeo1 knowledgeable post, yet I also understand why Jews feel they have a secular right (I reject their religious rationalization) to a homeland where they can live in dignity and relative safety given their history of unjustified oppression in virtually every country they have inhabited. I side with Jeremy Ben-Ami's J street movement in support of a two-state solution. And I am a gentile.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 09:31 pm
@JLNobody,
How in the hell is a two state solution possible in this area as long as Israel allows their settlers to build cities in Palistianian territory and than gives them the protection of their army? Have you seen the Isralies give an inch to the Pals even after they come to some agreement? They seize any excuse to give up on agreements. They figure that if they put off agreement long enough they will control all of palistian.