Katy sick, wish us well

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 12:38 pm
She goes to the vet in a couple of hours for a work up. She is drinking too much water and peeing in the house - could be a few things, most of them not good.

Roger is coming along since he's in town (thank goodness).

Will report when I know more.
Didn't put this in her/my usual thread.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 30 • Views: 16,694 • Replies: 349

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 12:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Good luck and better health to Katy (and you to Lady Osso). I'll be reading along when the news comes in.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 12:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Ohh, I certainly hope this is easily remedied.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 12:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh Osso, I do hope she will be alright <sigh>...

So very glad Roger is there too.

((Osso))
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 01:00 pm
Hoping for good news.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 01:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh no, osso!

I'm activating my long distance hand holding powers.....
farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 01:43 pm
@boomerang,
Sounds like diabetic insipidus. It causes the urine to be diluted with lotsa water. Good News, IT CAN BE SUCCESSFULLY treated with hots or eye drops.
(We had a doggie with the affliction)

Heres from the Merck Vet Dictionary

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Central diabetes insipidus is caused by reduced secretion of antidiuretic hormone (ADH). When target cells in the kidney lack the biochemical machinery necessary to respond to the secretion of normal or increased circulating levels of ADH, nephrogenic diabetes insipidus results. It occurs infrequently in dogs, cats, and laboratory rats, and rarely in other animals.
Etiology:
The hypophyseal form develops as a result of compression and destruction of the pars nervosa, infundibular stalk, or supraoptic nucleus in the hypothalamus. The lesions responsible for the disruption of ADH synthesis or secretion in hypophyseal diabetes insipidus include large pituitary neoplasms (endocrinologically active or inactive), a dorsally expanding cyst or inflammatory granuloma, and traumatic injury to the skull with hemorrhage and glial proliferation in the neurohypophyseal system.

Clinical Findings:
Affected animals excrete large volumes of hypotonic urine and drink equally large amounts of water. Urine osmolality is decreased below normal plasma osmolality (~300 mOsm/kg) in both hypophyseal and nephrogenic forms, even if the animal is deprived of water. The increase of urine osmolality above that of plasma in response to exogenous ADH in the hypophyseal form, but not in the nephrogenic form, is useful in the clinical differentiation of the 2 forms of the disease.
Lesions: The posterior lobe, infundibular stalk, and hypothalamus are compressed or disrupted by neoplastic cells. This interrupts the nonmyelinated axons that transport ADH from its site of production (hypothalamus) to its site of release (pars nervosa).

Diagnosis:
This is based on chronic polyuria that does not respond to dehydration and is not due to primary renal disease. To evaluate the ability to concentrate urine, a water deprivation test should be done if the animal is not dehydrated and does not have renal disease. The bladder is emptied, and water and food are withheld (usually 3-8 hr) to provide a maximum stimulus for ADH secretion. The animal should be monitored carefully to prevent a loss of >5% body wt and severe dehydration. Urine and plasma osmolality should be determined; however, because these tests are not readily available to most practitioners, urine specific gravity is frequently used instead. At the end of the test, urine specific gravity is >1.025 in those animals with only a partial ADH deficiency or with antagonism to ADH action caused by hypercortisolism. There is little change in specific gravity in those animals with a complete lack of ADH activity, whether due to a primary loss of ADH or to unresponsiveness of the kidneys.
An ADH response test should follow to differentiate among conditions that may result in large volumes of urine that is chronically low in specific gravity but otherwise normal. These include nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (an inability of the kidneys to respond to ADH), psychogenic diabetes insipidus (a polydipsia in response to some psychological disturbance but a normal response to ADH), and hypercortisolism (which results in a partial deficiency of ADH activity due to the antagonistic effect of cortisol on ADH activity in the kidneys). This test also can be used to evaluate animals in which a water deprivation test could not be performed. Urine specific gravity is determined at the start of the test; desmopressin acetate is administered (2-4 drops in the conjunctival sac); the bladder is emptied at 2 hr; and urine specific gravity is measured 4, 8, 12, 18, and 24 hr after ADH administration. Specific gravity peaks at >1.026 in animals with a primary ADH deficiency, is significantly increased above the level induced with water deprivation in those with a partial deficiency in ADH activity, and shows little change in those with nephrogenic diabetes insipidus.
If osmolality is measured, the ratio of urine to plasma osmolality after water deprivation is >3 in normal animals, 1.8-3 in those with moderate ADH deficiency, and <1.8 in those with severe deficiency. The ratio of urine osmolality after ADH administration as compared with water deprivation is >2 in animals with primary ADH deficiency, between 1.1 and 2 in those with inhibitors to ADH action, and <1.1 in those unresponsive to ADH.
As an alternative to the water deprivation test, or in cases in which this test fails to establish a definitive diagnosis, a closely monitored therapeutic trial with desmopressin (see below) can be performed. Again, all other causes of polyuria and polydipsia should initially be ruled out, limiting the differential diagnosis to central diabetes insipidus, nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, and psychogenic polydipsia. For cats, the owner should measure the animal’s 24-hr water intake 2-3 days before the therapeutic trial with desmopressin, allowing free-choice water intake. The intranasal preparation of desmopressin is administered in the conjunctival sac (1-4 drops, bid) for 3-5 days. A dramatic reduction in water intake (>50%) during the first treatment day would strongly suggest an ADH deficiency and a diagnosis of central diabetes insipidus or partial nephrogenic diabetes insipidus.
Diabetes insipidus also needs to be distinguished from other diseases with polyuria. The most common are diabetes mellitus with glycosuria and high urine specific gravity, and chronic nephritis with a urine specific gravity that is usually low and shows evidence of renal failure (protein, casts, etc).

Treatment:
Polyuria may be controlled using desmopressin acetate, a synthetic analog of ADH. The initial dose is 2 drops applied to the nasal mucosae or conjunctivae; this is gradually increased until the minimal effective dose is determined. Maximal effect usually occurs in 2-6 hr and lasts for 10-12 hr. Water should not be restricted. Treatment should be continued sid or bid for the

Good luck
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 02:21 pm
Hoping.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 03:15 pm
@farmerman,
Wishing both Katy and you well.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 04:14 pm
Oh Osso...so sorry to hear this. Joining my good thoughts to all the good thoughts you two are receiving.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 04:41 pm
@ossobuco,
I hope it's something quickly manageable.

Will keep an eye out for an update.

<head scritch for the Katygirl>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 05:15 pm
Ok, we're back home.

Yes, my thought was diabetes too, but there are other possibilities, or combinations of them.

We still don't know re diabetes or kidney function etc. - will get a call from the veterinarian on Monday morning on the test results, but she reassured the very anxiety ridden me that there is treatment for these and other things once we know. I knew that re diabetes, but not re the kidney business.

The urine was clear but not yet tested for bacteria; the vulva was visibly infected.
She's already gotten her first chewable antibiotic pill and a half (3 a day).

Gads I love that dog.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 05:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, farmer, thank you for that excellent information page.
Berty McJock

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 05:43 pm
get well soon katy!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 05:45 pm
@ossobuco,
That sounds a wee bit better.......crossing everything.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 05:58 pm
@ossobuco,
did they do a sp gravity of her urine? We will be looking in . Dogs are like kids aint they?
Roberta

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 06:00 pm
Hoper in very high gear for Katy--and you, kid. I understand how you must feel. You'll both be in my thoughts.

glitterbag

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 06:28 pm
Oh I'm so sorry. Before thinking difficult, consider maybe a urinary tract infection. They can come on quickly, at least it seems that way because sometimes you don't notice until they start peeing in the house. But they also clear up rapidly with antibiotics. It's terribly stressing when our furry friends get sick, they can't tell us what's wrong. I have my fingers crossed for you and Katy. One of my girls gets uti's a couple times a year, and has a recurring ear problem. Ruby is the 2 year old and stays on a special prescription diet but Sadie is 4 and so far has had few problems. The two are half sisters, so I can't account for the difference. Hope she feels better quickly and you can de-stress quickly. I'll keep tuned in.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 07:57 pm
@farmerman,
That was just a visual look at the urine (so clear versus clean) as they were still examining her and taking blood. I used to do urines in my last lab days when I did clin immunology testing but occasionally subbed for that patient tech who would be off for a day - I forget the order I did stuff, but sp grav was routine. I think they probably have a clin lab pickup. They should have the results tomorrow but it's a half day and the doc that is there Sat. doesn't know me or Katy so I opt to wait until Monday to talk with her vet who knows all my questions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 07:59 pm
@Roberta,
Thanks, kid. I feel slightly less terrible relative to yesterday when I did a 24 hour water measurement....