Katy sick, wish us well

mckenzie

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 11:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, so glad to hear that it's likely an infection.

Antibiotics do your work!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 03:30 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

2 puddles, later afternoon, about 3 out of ten, size wise.

May they fade to nought.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 07:06 am
I'm so sorry to hear that Katy is having some difficulties, and that osso is understandably so concerned about her. I hope that Katy continues to show a good response to the antibiotics and that they take care of her current problem. Sending you both good wishes and I hope that things return to normal ASAP.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 07:42 pm
@firefly,
Any news?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 07:56 pm
@glitterbag,
Well, mixed. She peed twice, not very much, and once, quite a lot, this morning.
I let her out and she pees there too, so I'm just talking about inhouse stuff.
On the other hand I'm now sure she's drinking quite a lot less water.

Plenty of pills left to take, we'll see.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 10:06 pm
@ossobuco,
The vet didn't give you anything definitive yet? Maybe that's good, if it were diabetes or kidney problems the doc would probably have changed the meds. Sometimes those UTI can take a while to clear up. Dogs are pretty stoic, and they don't want to appear vulnerable to predators. So they try to appear normally as long as they can and the urge to go can hit suddenly and urgently, making it difficult to plan potty breaks. It sure sounds like a UTI (so sayeth dr. Glitterbag). Good luck to all of you and stock up on paper towels.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 09:08 am
@glitterbag,
Two more times last night (after my last post).
None yet today, but it's early.
On the other hand, she signals me successfully a lot of the time.
We are waiting for the course of the antibiotics to take hold or not.
Berty McJock

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 01:35 pm
certainly sounds like it's not getting any worse, and if she still has a lot of pills to take, i'd take that as a good sign.

hurry up and get better katy.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 03:23 pm
@ossobuco,
osso, Had the vet made a diagnosis? Is it definitely an infection?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 05:29 pm
@Roberta,
It's definitely infection, but there may be complication I don't really understand re the vulva being very infected, visible immediately - while the urinary tract infection showed up after bacteria and white cells were looked for in the relatively clear urine (which was, after all, quite dilute, so it could look clear visually). She told me we would look into that after the antibiotics course, which goes for fourteen days.

I don't think it's going to be diabetes as the blood sugar wasn't very much over normal. It sounded ruled out. Liver ruled out.

I'm trying to measure the water she gets again today, and I may have been exaggerating that she is drinking much less - but that may just be today. My impression is that it is somewhat less since she started the antibiotics.
I think I should start measuring the 24 hour water every day to get a line on it.

No spills today so far, but the day is still young.

Roberta

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 06:18 pm
@ossobuco,
My hoper is still in high gear. Be well, shepherd dawg. And, osso, you're a good mudder.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 06:31 pm
@Roberta,
I've been needing at least to have my shoes on these days..

Two other things - she's eating less pickily, very avid, and I don't know if that is somehow connected; it started before antibiotics and I did tell the vet.

And she is bedding down in my room instead of watching for thieves and absconders in the hallway. She comes all the way in and stays on the rug between the bed and window. No pee there, so far.
dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 10:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Goodness...I hope you have real answers soon.

I drink a lot of water when I have a UTI.....but I am eddicated and know it will help. We can't expect a dog to know this!!!

It's awful waiting and not knowing.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Osso)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 02:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Definitely need to measure out water - guessing can be wildly inaccurate. I feel so sorry for you - it's such a dreadful thing to worry about a beloved dog! All of my love to Katy - hope she starts to recover really soon.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 07:01 pm
@vonny,
Thanks all, again.

I had an epiphany last night - she nosed me to get up just after 1 a.m., I went to let her out the kitchen door and found myself barefooted in puddling..
Dummy, I usually wear my rubber sandals (those japanese kind called Okabashi.) Oh, well. Time for both the mop and a foot bath.

I was thinking about her recent avid hunger maneuvers and how I let her out soon after she eats.. and the light dawned that maybe she is excreting the antibiotics along with the dog food. Or maybe not - will be calling the vet with a report Monday anyway and will talk more about the hunger business. So today I'm giving her the pills separately, and luckily she likes them as tasty treats - I'm giving them after letting her out to pee and about 45 minutes before feeding breakfast or dinner kibble.

No puddles yet today, famous last words.
Diane

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 08:47 pm
@ossobuco,
I got to see Osso and Katy today. What a treat and what a delight to see how much they both love each other.

{{{{{{{{{{ Osso and Katy }}}}}}}}}}
ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 09:08 pm
@Diane,
She is fond of Diane also - Diane met her the day I got her, as did Roger.

I shared the doggie cookie recipe with Diane and showed her how a certain shepherd goes for them in a big way. Hard to give Katy just one. Those eyes..

Just after eight pm here. She scarfed her dinner. No floor peeing yet.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 12:11 am
@ossobuco,
My dear departed springer Chloe would get fearful UTI's, in addition to antibiotics he asked me to wipe her inflamed area with baby wipes to keep any urine from clinging to the skin causing additional inflammation. I have to tell you that you will feel foolish when you wipe the doggie and the doggie won't be over the the moon over it either. He told me to do it every time she urinated.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 12:29 am
@ossobuco,
Roger met Katy six years earlier.
Lola

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 02:15 am
@ossobuco,
Gee Osso, I didn't know this was going on. It's so upsetting when your pet is ill. I'll keep checking to see reports.
0 Replies