0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 10:29 pm
@Berty McJock,
huh?
Bennet

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 10:44 pm
@ossobuco,
It's a tradition I think that goes as far back as the romans.
Due to their rudimentary knowledge in the subject of chemistry in the Roman days, they were ignorant of the exact processes that occurred behind the fermentation of grapes which yielded alcoholic drinks. So Roman thought grapes were filled with alcohol which was behind the fuzzy warm feeling after taking a sip of an alcoholic beverage. By such belief, to sick Romans were given grapes in hopes to heal from their sickness. In some cultures, this tradition has been carried on to modern time. Some people would believe there is something called "The Grape Cure", where people believe that grapes do have a natural healing ability. One such individual is Johanna Brandt, and she believes that grapes helped her over come her stomach cancer. I'd say it's a superstitious belief, seeing that there is scant scientific evidence for it.
Good health to both of you. Hope she gets better soon.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 10:56 pm
@Bennet,
Well now that is quite flagrantly nutsy in itself and then followed by this Bennet apparition.

Please, girl needs peace.
mckenzie

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 10:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, I'm glad you feel slightly less terrible. Hoping for good results on Monday.

Two things crossed my mind when you mentioned the excess comsumption of water: 1) diabetes; 2) Cushings disease, because of the excess water consumption and the urinating in the house. Have you noticed a thinning of her coat?

Maxie was diagnosed with Cushings disease/syndrome in December. It's very common in elder dogs and very treatable, though we're still in a holding pattern with him because he doesn't have the voacious appetite which is necessary for treatment. He's a finicky eater.

I won't link one particular website. There is so much available online.

Looking foward to good news on Monday!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 11:01 pm
@mckenzie,
Thanks, I'll look at that. She is still major furry, but i'm interested.
mckenzie

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 11:27 pm
@ossobuco,
We didn't notice the coat thinning. Our groomer, who comes every six weeks, mentioned it after I said he'd been diagnosed with Cushings.

We gradually noticed the excess water consumption over several months.

The peeing in the house, we learned that it's a symptom of the disease. Doggie diapers may be the next step, at least until he can be treated.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 11:33 pm
@mckenzie,
thanks, listening, mckensie.
0 Replies

Bennet

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 11:53 pm
@ossobuco,
When was the last time you saw a non-peaceful apparition? Or an apparition for that matter? My mother's ten year old shih tzu was not too long ago diagnosed with cushing disease. With some type of chemotherapy, which the vet referred to as "medication," and a change in diet to raw natural diet, it was a matter of time before the cortisol level decreased to normal levels and all the symptoms disappeared.
And how's her diet? Are you feeding her mainly the commercial kibbles or processed foods?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 12:09 am
@ossobuco,
I guess it is plain Roger and I are pissing.

Carry on, everybody else.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 02:26 am
@ossobuco,
Osso,
I wish Katy a swift and comfortable recovery
and many years of good health.

David
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 02:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Thanks
David.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 09:42 pm
@ossobuco,
2x today, this one recent but not too bad, and I found it since she nosed me afterwards.
Roberta

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 11:19 pm
@ossobuco,
It seems that the antibiotics are helping. Hope so. Thanks for letting us know how Katy is doing.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 10:24 am
@Roberta,
Well, she slept the full night, sans needing to pee.
There was a hallway accident this morning, but not too bad.
Knock on wood..
Will post after I hear from the veterinarian today.
parados

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 12:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Best wishes to you both.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 01:21 pm
@ossobuco,
that doesnt sound like diabete cause they go all the time and their urine is really dilute. Did your vet do a speciific gravity of KAtherines pee pee?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 06:14 pm
Ok, the veterinarian just called.
Definitely a urinary tract infection going on, wbc present as well as bacteria; sp grav was 1.0007 (I think she said), very dilute, but I knew that, all her spills in the house (I've lost count but only one today so far) have looked like plain water.
After the course of antibios is finished, we'll see if she can figure the source of the problem (she had told me a few things back when we talked Friday).

No sugar in urine, and the blood sugar was very slightly high.
Liver testing all normal.
Immunoglobulins slightly high, which goes with the infection.

She seems to be drinking somewhat less avidly but I've not been measuring the water I put in her bowl.

To me this is all great news, makes me cry (the good way).

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 06:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh excellent!

That'll clear right up with antibiotics then, right?

Hopefully the source of the problem is also something you can address.
0 Replies

Berty McJock

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 06:40 pm
sounds like katy is on the mend, and those antibiotics are still doing their job.
nice one Smile
0 Replies