Obama and the Targeted Killing Program: What Would the Godfather Say?

Rockhead

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 07:28 pm
@oralloy,
"There is no requirement that we be attacked before we can do war on the world's troublemakers. "

we're on a mission from god...
Berty McJock

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 07:31 pm
@oralloy,
you selectively chose to quote half a sentence, ignoring important points.
that's quoting out of context, like they do with critics quotes to sell a film.

of course there is a requirement that you are attacked first, you can't go running round attacking people on sovereign soil willy-nilly, not without express permission from the UN.....and they will not allow you to just attack.

i really am done now, you're a waste of time.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 07:47 pm
what's god's mission, you might ask?

god thinks we should control the world's supply of oil.

he's big on showing those muslims who's boss as well...
oralloy

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 07:53 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
"There is no requirement that we be attacked before we can do war on the world's troublemakers. "

Have you seen the new weapons that are being developed for dealing with China?

Some of them are really nice. There are Mach-6 hypersonic cruise missiles (kinetic kill I believe) in the development pipeline.

Also little "mini B2 bomber" unmanned drones that can land on and take off from aircraft carriers.

("Little" is relative I guess. I mean "little" compared to a traditional bomber. They are about the size of a fighter jet.)
oralloy

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 07:57 pm
@Berty McJock,
Berty McJock wrote:
you selectively chose to quote half a sentence, ignoring important points.
that's quoting out of context, like they do with critics quotes to sell a film.

I entirely quoted the part of the statement that I was specifically disagreeing with.

Berty McJock wrote:
of course there is a requirement that you are attacked first, you can't go running round attacking people on sovereign soil willy-nilly, not without express permission from the UN.....and they will not allow you to just attack.

That's funny. When Obama bombs Iran's illegal nuclear program, Iran will not have attacked us first.

When it happens, watch the UN do absolutely nothing to stop us.
oralloy

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 07:59 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
what's god's mission, you might ask?

god thinks we should control the world's supply of oil.

he's big on showing those muslims who's boss as well...

Amen!

Mr. Green

(I like how you're thinking tonight.)
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 08:17 pm
@oralloy,
Irony and sarcasm are lost on you, aren't they, oralloy?
Berty McJock

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 08:31 pm
@oralloy,
i can't help myself.

yes you entirely quoted YOUR selection of part of what i said...that's out of context...look up what it means.

IF, and it's a big if, iran ARE pursuing nuclear weapons (and there are a number of people in the UN AND the U.S. administration who are openly saying they think it has been dormant for 10 years, and that they really are just pursuing nuclear energy, albeit showboating at the same time. no proof has been found yet) i dare say the UN would intervene, and a legal case for invasion would be made. just as it was in libya, just as it wasn't in iraq, and afghanistan, hence the moral outcry.
but if you think about it sensibly, is invading a nuclear nation, with a mentally unstable dictator at the helm really a good idea?
why do you think north korea are still allowed to show off?
ok folks, sorry about that, but i really am done now. promise!
oralloy

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 08:47 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Rockhead wrote:

Have you seen the new weapons that are being developed for dealing with China?

Some of them are really nice. There are Mach-6 hypersonic cruise missiles (kinetic kill I believe) in the development pipeline.

Also little "mini B2 bomber" unmanned drones that can land on and take off from aircraft carriers.

("Little" is relative I guess. I mean "little" compared to a traditional bomber. They are about the size of a fighter jet.)

Here are some pictures of the "mini B2 bomber" that is going to revolutionize the striking power of our aircraft carriers:

http://www.as.northropgrumman.com/products/nucasx47b/assets/lm_ff_x-47B-takeoff2.JPG

http://www.as.northropgrumman.com/products/nucasx47b/assets/lm_ff_x-47B-inflight.jpg

http://www.as.northropgrumman.com/products/nucasx47b/assets/lm_ff_x-47B-landing.jpg

http://www.as.northropgrumman.com/products/nucasx47b/assets/lm_UCAS_2ndFlt_1.jpg
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 08:59 pm
@Berty McJock,
Berty McJock wrote:
yes you entirely quoted YOUR selection of part of what i said...that's out of context...look up what it means.

Enough of your silly babbling. I quoted your point entirely in context.

You made a ludicrous claim that troublemakers around the world were none of our business.

I responded by telling you that you were wrong.

Now stop whining about it.

Berty McJock wrote:
IF, and it's a big if, iran ARE pursuing nuclear weapons (and there are a number of people in the UN AND the U.S. administration who are openly saying they think it has been dormant for 10 years, and that they really are just pursuing nuclear energy, albeit showboating at the same time. no proof has been found yet) i dare say the UN would intervene, and a legal case for invasion would be made.

There is no question that Iran is illegally pursuing nuclear weapons.

Someone may (or may not) choose to make a case to the UN, but no one will be bothering to wait for the UN's permission when it comes time to bomb Iran. We're just going to do it, and the UN will have no say in the matter.

Berty McJock wrote:
and a legal case for invasion would be made. just as it was in libya, just as it wasn't in iraq, and afghanistan, hence the moral outcry.

A legal case was very much made for the invasion of Afghanistan.

And there was no outcry over the invasion of Afghanistan, other than from a handful of people who support the terrorists.

Berty McJock wrote:
but if you think about it sensibly, is invading a nuclear nation, with a mentally unstable dictator at the helm really a good idea?

Iran will be bombed before they finish developing nuclear weapons.

There will be no invasion. It will just be a matter of blowing up their illegal nuclear facilities and then flying home.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 09:03 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
dense as the fog in the bottom of the swamp, that boy...
Berty McJock

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 09:08 pm
@Rockhead,
lol...like it.
never heard that one before.

may i also add he's as daft as a box of frogs.
oralloy

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 09:51 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
dense as the fog in the bottom of the swamp, that boy...

You low-IQ types shouldn't run around falsely accusing your betters of your own stupidity.
oralloy

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 09:52 pm
@Berty McJock,
Berty McJock wrote:
may i also add he's as daft as a box of frogs.

Says the buffoon who can't handle being confronted with facts.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 01:16 am
ACLU Presses Suit Over Targeted Killing of U.S. Terror Suspects

The National Law Journal
2/6/2013

Civil liberties lawyers are urging a federal judge to keep alive a lawsuit that alleges the government unlawfully killed three U.S. citizens in drone strikes in Yemen. The U.S. Justice Department said the suit, filed in July, raises political questions that are outside the judiciary's authority to answer. On Tuesday, the ACLU called the government stance in the case "exceedingly dangerous." The ACLU's court filing comes on the heels of NBC's disclosure Monday night of a confidential DOJ "white paper" that offered, in the administration's eyes, the legal justification for the use of lethal force against American citizens suspected of having ties to terrorism.
Miller

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 01:33 am
@Miller,
Quote:
the legal justification for the use of lethal force against American citizens suspected of having ties to terrorism

"Suspected"? Does this word bring forth any memories of past US witch hunts
involving atomic scientists, or Hollywood producers/directors...etc?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:19 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I never claimed Obama had anything to do with Iraq, in fact he was one of the few politicians to speak out against it. I also acknowledge that there were demonstrations against the war, but in this instance, the American Media was complicit in the deception by failing to fully report the extent of anti-war feeling.

The extent of the American Media's complicity is detailed here.

http://www2.pslweb.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=6597

America is the leader of the free world, and, for the time being at least, the most powerful nation on Earth. If America ignores international law and carries out extra judical killings, what's to stop other nations doing the same? Why shouldn't China target overseas dissidents with drones? Iran has started experimenting with similar technology. Should they be allowed to do the same?

There is a UN report into the effects of drone strikes going on right now, but the amount of innocent civilians killed in such strikes is a matter of public record. If nothing else those deaths act as a recruiting sergeant for Al Qaida far more effectively than any amount of jihadist videos.
Berty McJock

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:40 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
America is the leader of the free world, and, for the time being at least, the most powerful nation on Earth. If America ignores international law and carries out extra judical killings, what's to stop other nations doing the same? Why shouldn't China target overseas dissidents with drones? Iran has started experimenting with similar technology. Should they be allowed to do the same?

There is a UN report into the effects of drone strikes going on right now, but the amount of innocent civilians killed in such strikes is a matter of public record. If nothing else those deaths act as a recruiting sergeant for Al Qaida far more effectively than any amount of jihadist videos.

totally agree
oralloy

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 08:32 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
Quote:
the legal justification for the use of lethal force against American citizens suspected of having ties to terrorism

"Suspected"? Does this word bring forth any memories of past US witch hunts involving atomic scientists, or Hollywood producers/directors...etc?

I'm more reminded of the American Civil War.

If an American joins with people who are at war with the United States, it is to be expected that they will be targeted in the course of military operations.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 08:34 am
@Berty McJock,
Berty McJock wrote:
Quote:

totally agree

America is not ignoring international law. We are at war, and the Laws of War allow us to fire on enemy forces.

And we are not firing on dissidents, so it is hard to see how our lawful acts of war could legitimately justify other countries doing that.