Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 08:50 am
Picture released by the whitehouse over the past day or two:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/sites/all/files/images/8436110735_5ec05750a2_b.preview.jpg

The good news for Bork is that with target shells and ported barrels, he isn't likely to hurt himself shooting in such a fashion. Of course, were that a hunting gun and 3" shells.........
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,358 • Replies: 17
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 09:27 am
@gungasnake,
why drill a hole in the side of a , what looks like a 12 gage? Is it to make recoil less? I never figgered that one out.

I wonder if you could fire a punt gun
raprap

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 09:58 am
@farmerman,
With many over and under the top barrel (the first one fired) is ported to keep the second shot on target.

As for GanjaSnaKKKe and a punt gun I think he may have already fired one--the only problem is he put it three inched in front of his forehead----the recoil and resultant head injury explaines a lot of what he considers reason, and humor.

Rap
farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 10:07 am
@raprap,
I have a Browning O&U from my dad and its not ported. Is that an aftermarket thing? Course I was never into clay pigeons, theyre hard to cook
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 12:36 pm
@farmerman,
It does reduce recoil although I've never understood how anybody could be candy-assed enough to worry about recoil from 12ga target shells which is what Bork is shooting.

Hunting shot-shells are another matter. Typically 3" mag shells are made for shooting ducks/geese from the normal 20-40 yard distance and 3.5" shells are meant for shooting stuff which is more like 50 - 70 yards out. The recoil from that stuff is severe and on a solid-lockup gun including O/U guns you could easily get hurt without porting or something to take up some of the force.

I have two guns with 3.5" chambers i.e. a Beretta X-Trema-II semiauto and a Browning Citori O/U with back-bored and ported barrels. The Citori does the better job of handling the 3.5" shells, and I mean you FEEL it but it isn't dangerous. Beretta makes an add-on item called "kick-off" for the X-Trema-II which amounts to an automotive style shock absorber but I've never wanted to spend the money for it.

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 12:38 pm
Don't ya point the gun UP when shooting skeet?
gungasnake

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 12:41 pm
Tank gun muzzle brake (same idea as porting on a shogun):

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSzSkn85NiDM7V-NDgs5QqNRuqNaIPPdqDc_eLkBlewdV0-dOLvA

JP Industries tank-gun style muzzle brake for a high-powwered rifle:

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/l_452015120_1.jpg
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 12:42 pm
@PUNKEY,
only on the 8 station...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 02:42 pm
@gungasnake,
Ive got 3 12 gages, the Browning O&U, open and mod choke) an Ithaca pump (no choke), and an older Xpress Double Barrel that I use most for hunting small game.
I always fire 6's for small game'4's for ducks and 3's for geese. Ive gotten some big ball and )) for home defense and those , being long brasses, do kick like a mother.
With nice recoil pads on all of em, I and my wife dont have any trouble (Although she prefers a 20 gage O&U for when she goes out hunting dinner.

Ive shot doves using 9's but Im not too keen on dove slaughter , its a wste of meat

Ive got an antique rabbit eared 10 gage and several dozen old shells that were solid brass, Ive never fired em. I just emptied em of shot powder and primers and have used em for wind chimes.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 03:09 pm
@farmerman,
You can still buy 10ga shotguns but most people view them as obsolete and use them for conversation pieces. I can't imagine what recoil on a 10 would be like were you to load shells for it with modern powders.

As far as hunting waterfowl, the big innovation in recent years is the Federal BlackCloud shell which you use with a skeet choke in the gun, and there's no way a 10ga gun could add anything to that.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 03:20 pm
@gungasnake,
President Obama's shotgun looks like a Browning Citori O/U trap

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/13311/13669291_2.jpg?v=8CF49D7350D0010

Whattya know Ganja you and President Obama have something in common.

Rap
gungasnake

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 08:10 am
@raprap,
trap guns are single barrel...

http://www.gueriniusa.com/gun_models/maxum_trap/images/MaxumTrap.jpg
farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 08:24 am
@gungasnake,
No theyre not. Trap, skeet, and sporting clay all allow double barrels. There are several double clay set ups in trap .
DrewDad

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 08:39 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

It does reduce recoil although I've never understood how anybody could be candy-assed enough to worry about recoil from 12ga target shells which is what Bork is shooting.

I'm sure it would make sense to have different guns for different shells.....
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 09:06 am
@farmerman,
Trap is the basic shotgun game for old/elderly people and at least most of the trap guns you'd ever see are single barrel.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 09:08 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

trap guns are single barrel...

http://www.gueriniusa.com/gun_models/maxum_trap/images/MaxumTrap.jpg

Then why did you post a picture that has an over/under configuration?

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 10:41 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:

Trap is the basic shotgun game for old/elderly people and at least most of the trap guns you'd ever see are single barrel
I have no idea where you come up with some of your ****. Trap is one of three sanctioned modes of clay pigeon tournaments, Trap, skeet, and sporting clays.

I see all kinds a trap rigs, even the light weight reinforced titanium

O&U's nd SbyS's.
Ive see pump and the only thing Ive never seen in sport clays is the "pepper box barrel"

The only differences is that in trap, all the clays go away from you, high or low but never cross. In Skeet, the clays go away from you, come towrd you and cross high, low and all over. Ive never done sporting clays cause Im not good enough and Id just waste ammo. In sporting clays, there is no "plane" so the clays can be anywhere at any time and number. (You have 2 shots and must reload for three). Sporting clays separates the casuals from the snipers
gungasnake

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 11:40 am
@farmerman,
Sporting Clays is the fun version of shotgun sports, longer and more complex shots.
0 Replies