Lola at the Coffee House

saab

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 03:00 pm
@Lola,
As a Swede, who myself has worked as a tour guide I would say she did not do the right thing.
Of course one should get the people to laugh and enjoy the tour.
What an American find really funny you might insult a German with so one has to be careful.
I do not think that many younger people know how much we used to discriminate against the gypsies up til the 1950ies. I did not even realize it when I grew up.They were not allowed to come to Sweden, they were sterelized, they were not allowed to work. They were not even helped away from the Nazis.
They are now considered by law one of the five minorities in Sweden. How many live in Sweden we do not know as Sweden does not register ethnic backgrounds.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 03:01 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

There are two completely different ways of talking about gypsies in the UK. There is Media's way and the pub style. This marked difference is a sign that the liberal intelligentsia has disconnected from the underlying population.

But that's exactly the same in the USA when it comes to matters of race, i.e. talking about the black people. It's not a sign that "the liberal media has disconnected from the underlying population" at all. It's that the media is making an effort to wean the "underlying population" away from its xenophobic and racial prejudices.
spendius

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 03:54 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
And you think that is a role Media denizens can justifiably appoint themselves to do whilst they claim salaries significantly higher than the average, tell lies faster than Billy's Weekly Liar used to do, and much bigger ones, pose as superior persons and are corrupt to their very core?

And the swift rise here of UKIP to a position of political significance from nowhere is hardly a sign that Media is making much headway in its efforts to wean the "underlying population" away from its xenophobic and racial prejudices.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 03:59 pm
@spendius,
From what little I know of the UK media, it's a slightly different beast from its cousin in the USA (the BBC always excepted).
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 04:07 pm
@vonny,
Quote:
Hey, was that the punch line?

Yeah! You make up the joke backwards. You invent the circumstances in which that line fits and is calculated to get a laugh.

For example--this guy suddenly remembers it's his first wedding anniversary at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, which Mr Vonny will tell you is when it's nine below zero and hard to stumble. So he begs an early finish off the boss and sets out to surprise his bride with a large box of chocolates and a bouquet of red roses.

It is a Bohemian coffee-shop isn't it?

Was the medical advice from the Daily Express?
McTag

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 04:24 pm
@saab,

Quote:
I really do not care for soups

You've never tasted one of my soups, then.
Lola

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 05:53 pm
XXX rated Lola is going out on the town. See y'all later.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 05:55 pm
@spendius,
Not me, they don't. (I have life long retinitis).
But I do like carrots for other reasons, especially roasted with olive oil, salt, pepper, and some chile powder, or refrigerator-pickled raw.

Soup, I somewhat live on soup, summer or winter. Tonight's involves slow cooked chickpeas, whole wheat small pasta shells, some quite surprisingly mild hot italian sausage, some left over roast chicken, my tomato sauce with some adobo chile, some chicken stock, and a bunch of already cooked and frozen cut up mustard greens. I like it (this time).

On gypsies/zingari/roma, I'm mostly sympathetic. On the other hand, I've been surrounded by groups of them in Rome several times, once when I was bleeding down my leg (an undiagnosed bleeding fibroid) and searching out a bathroom when a lot of places were closed. They riffled my purse (nothing important in it) and fluttered away, disappointed. That was my first time there, and during that month I got interested in watching their maneuvers.
Early morning subway in March with all the guys in overcoats going to work and cramming themselves into the subway car, they came up behind them and picked their overcoat pockets. Quite a vision from some yards away. Their pockets, like my purse, probably didn't hold valuables. I watched zingari women lie down in a traffic circle with their arms out, and then move to the other side of the circle to improve their chances of getting some help. I wasn't staking out gypsies, this was all just what I saw walking the city. There was a big set-too a few years ago when an encampment in Rome was cleared out - a lot of anger at those clearing out.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 07:26 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I ever tell you the story about the Bohemian coffee house I owned?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 07:28 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

spendius wrote:

I ever tell you the story about the Bohemian coffee house I owned?

No, not that I can recall.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 08:58 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Okay. There was probably a reason for that.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 10:02 pm
no no no no no no no no no..............this dating business is not fun!

Wassau, got any coffee?
Eva

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 10:36 pm
@Lola,
Uh oh. Sounds like an unfortunate meet-up.

Here, I'll share this bottle of wine with you. I can't drink more than a couple of glasses anyway. Wassau, can you... Good man. Here's a glass for you, lady.
Lola

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 10:41 pm
@Eva,
Thanks Eva. It wasn't so bad. Just annoying and no fun. Ummmm, this wine is good. I should have just stayed here with my friends. ummm.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 10:50 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
So Tico, tell us. Bohemian sounds interesting, especially when attached to you.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 01:59 am
@Lola,
Well, okay. .... I suppose I am known to be a rather conservative sort, in these parts, but that's just a facade. In the late 1990's, I owned a "bohemian" coffee house in Wichita. We were quite popular with a certain young crowd, and had became a fixture for our regular poetry slams and ska music venues we provided. We had retro 1960's furniture, orange vinyl couches, etc. Our environment was loosely based around the coffee house in the movie, "So I Married An Axe Murderer." (Google it.) But I did not care for the clientele that had become our norm de rigueur, truth be told. We attracted throngs of young and moderately employed youth. Yet I absolutely enjoyed the entire experience. I trained our baristas, and I am a certified coffee nut/expert. In any case, we were ultimately doomed to close our doors, because our Municipal landlord had opted for redevelopment of the historical block -- Carrie Nation had actually thrown her hatchet at a large mirror in our building -- so my coffee house ended it's run, and I looked elsewhere to assuage my entrepreneurial spirit. The end.

saab

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:55 am
@ossobuco,
I must admit that I have not thought about gypsies or travelers in the last few decades except when on the continent and I see them beg. I have never seen it in Sweden. But I live in a rather small town.
I was surrounded by a group of children in France and they took something like 10 Euro out of my pocket. I could do without it and maybe they could do with it.
When I was a kid when I saw some they were travelling with horse and their wagons mostly dressed in their costumes. If to day they travel it will be by car and trailer but so many others do that too so I would not even notice them. During vacation time the roads are filled with tourists travelling like that.
saab

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:59 am
@McTag,
For me it is not a question on how good it is. I get so filled up after just a couple of spoonfulls.
I like a boullion, but it is very seldom it is seved - and it tastes so good when well made.
How is yours??????
ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 09:21 am
@Ticomaya,
A little like my art galleries, 25 years apart - experiences I wouldn't have missed for the world.
Lola

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 11:41 am
@ossobuco,
and my jewelry stores............

Today's my sister's birthday. I'm off to wish her well. Back later.