Lola at the Coffee House

roger

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 12:11 am
@Lola,
I liked it, too. Matter of fact, at the Albuquerque meet, it inspired me to ask if there wasn't a run in your stocking. You checked it, and very nicely, too.
0 Replies

Bennet

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 12:29 am
@Lola,
I'd have preferred whiskey and hot water mixture for the base with jasmine/mint mixture shisha, but water for base and mint shisha will do for now.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:13 am

Lola's here? Who knew? I'm in.

I am pursuing a new career as an amateur musician btw.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:22 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Crumpets are basically delicious, especially sweeped with butter, oh, gawd. Only place I know around here to buy them is at Kellers, the butcher firm, near Albertson's and Jack and Rascals Pet Store.

They're in every supermarket shelf over here, I did try making them once but they're really fiddly. Pikelets are more of a Northern variation. It's basically the same recipe, but with a crumpet you need a mould to build them up, with pikelets you just pour the batter directly on the frying pan.

A crumpet is fried, a muffin is baked, they're not the same thing at all, the texture is completely different. The holes form in the top of the crumpet as it's being cooked.
roger

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:27 am
@izzythepush,
Sounds like a pancake cooked in a mold.
Bennet

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:30 am
@McTag,
What genre if I may ask?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:37 am
@roger,
Similar, but it's more fiddly, you add yeast and has to be left to rise. This recipe is as good as any.

Quote:
Ingredients
350ml/12¼fl oz whole milk

225g/8oz strong white flour

125g/4½oz plain flour

1 x 7g/¼oz sachet fast-action dried yeast

½ tsp fine sea salt

1 tsp caster sugar

1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda

150ml/5¼fl oz warm water

butter, for greasing, plus extra to serve

Preparation method
1.Warm the milk in a saucepan very gently until tepid.

2.Sift the flours into a large bowl and stir in the yeast, salt and sugar until well-combined.

3.Make a well in the centre of the mixture and stir in the warm milk. Beat well with a wooden spoon for 3-4 minutes, or until the batter is thick and elastic.

4.Cover the bowl with cling film and set aside in a warm place for an hour, or until the batter has doubled in size.

5.When the batter has risen, mix the bicarbonate of soda with the warm water, and beat the mixture into the batter for a couple of minutes. Set aside to rest in a warm place for a further 30 minutes. By this time the mixture should have risen and be covered with tiny bubbles.

6.Heat a flat griddle pan or large heavy-based non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat.

7.Generously butter the insides of four crumpet rings or 9cm/3½in chefs' rings and place them onto the griddle or into the frying pan. Warm the rings for a minute or two.

8.Using a dessertspoon, drop three large spoonfuls of the crumpet batter into each ring. It should come around 1.5cm/½in up the sides of each ring, but no more. Cook for 9-12 minutes, or until lots of tiny bubbles have risen to the surface and burst and the tops look dry and set.

9.Carefully lift off the rings - it shouldn't be too difficult as the crumpets will ease back from the sides when they are ready. (Use an oven glove and take care as the crumpet rings will be hot.)

10.Flip the crumpets over with a spatula and cook on the other side for a further two minutes, or until golden-brown. You can keep these crumpets warm while the remaining batter is prepared, or serve immediately spread with lots of butter.

11.Cook the remaining crumpets in exactly the same way as the first, washing and buttering the rings well before re-using. The crumpets can also be cooled and then toasted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/crumpets_93122

If anyone is thinking of trying it out, the measurements are Metric/Imperial, so you need to use a conversion chart.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:37 am
@Bennet,

Quote:
What genre if I may ask?

Certainly you may, although my tastes are fairly catholic, or simple: music good, or bad.
Or maybe more accurately, music I like, and the rest.

I have gone for overkill, and am currently in six bands, groups, and orchestras. I play bass guitar in a big band, and double bass in the rest, including a symphony orchestra.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 05:48 am
I want to suggest that all who care about Lola's Coffee House tag the topic with the same words. My tags are:
able2know, [X] General, [X] a2k, [X] Community, [X] Lola, [X] Hot Hot Coffee
Lola

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 09:54 am
@edgarblythe,
I don't understand about tags and/or bumps. When I get back this afternoon, I'll check it out. I also clearly don't understand about certain groups. I've been away for a while and will have to catch up.

So nice to see everyone.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 09:56 am
@McTag,
Yay for you McTag. I'm just mostly unemployed at the moment. But I'm working on it. Hanging out with my friends at the Cafe will help.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 10:02 am
@Sturgis,
Wassau's been here all along. He's an interesting man. Sometimes, he's hard to find. I was in New York a week or so ago and found that my beloved corner on Bleecker and MacDougal has been taken over by a Mexican food restaurant. Annoying. However, our A2K cafe remains Cafe 101 with Wassau as the proprietor.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 10:43 am
@Lola,
Lolaessense wrote:

However, our A2K cafe remains Cafe 101 with Wassau as the proprietor.

Wait a sec?! A2k owns a cafe here in NYC? Am I being blacklisted from patronizing this business? Do we get a meal discount for being an a2k member?
farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 11:32 am
@tsarstepan,
yes, and yes. If you didnt get the memo,.. well, you can figure it out for yourself.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 11:39 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Lolaessense (Post 5244081)
Lolaessense wrote:

However, our A2K cafe remains Cafe 101 with Wassau as the proprietor.

Wait a sec?! A2k owns a cafe here in NYC? Am I being blacklisted from patronizing this business? Do we get a meal discount for being an a2k member?

You mean you have been living in NYC for over 10 years and have never met for a beer, coffee, or some eats with the regulars.

Holy ****. That doesn't even seem possible.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 11:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

You mean you have been living in NYC for over 10 years and have never met for a beer, coffee, or some eats with the regulars.

I have indeed met our circle of NYC a2kers on countless occasions but never at this so called Cafe 101. Razz
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 11:51 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5244150)
Frank Apisa wrote:

I have indeed met our circle of NYC a2kers on countless occasions but never at this so called Cafe 101.

Damn, how'd I miss ya? Or were you in disguise...or using another name?

Asked another way: Have we met?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 11:57 am
@Frank Apisa,
I think we met once. When the Bunny flown into town from the underworld.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 12:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Asked another way: Have we met?

I've seen a photo in which both you and the Tsar appear. I think you've met.

(it's in JoeNation's feed)
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 12:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Yup...after conversation with him, we've determined where and when we met, Beth.

I'm getting old...my mind is fading.

Daaaisssy, Daaaisssy, giiiive mmmmeee youuuurrr annnssswwer doooooooooo.
0 Replies