Lola at the Coffee House

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 05:53 pm
@spendius,
Many of us who like american football don't follow what spendius says. I've no interest in what bookies say. I first paid attention in the fifties (long story).

I'm well aware of the now coming out news about concussions - how could it be I was aware of this before them? - but I still like the game, probably perverse of me. I'll admit I'm not well schooled about team formations on a given attempt to fetch another first down, but in the personalities, the stories, the heroics, the mess ups, the life of it all, the nature of the games.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 05:55 pm
@firefly,
Nag me if I don't post on him..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 06:22 pm
@vonny,
There's a variant especially popular in Victoria and South Australia called Australian Rules, played with an oval ball. It's much faster and flowing than Thugby. However, soccer is increasingly popular and we do have rugby. Aren't there two types of rugby? damned if I know. Mine is an Australian rules state, so, insofar as I use the word at all, that's what I think of as football.
firefly

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 06:26 pm
bump
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 06:49 pm
bumpersticker
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 06:52 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
hey, my bumper worked this time. More'n half the time it doesn't.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 07:14 pm
@spendius,
I am definitely not "besotted" with football, I find it a very boring sport.

It seems to bring in enormous advertising revenue, so we get inundated with games. One night this week, all three major broadcast networks had a football game on at the same time, plus there were other games on some of the cable channels in the same time slot. That's much more saturation than there is with other sports. If you don't like football, you definitely find yourself surrounded by too much of a not very good thing. I'm glad I have cable with a zillion movie channels to help me survive the football season.

I think it's interesting that, as the years have gone by, the professional basketball players' shorts have gotten longer and longer and baggier and baggier, while the pro football players' pants have gotten tighter and tighter--at this point they look almost spray-painted on, or like leotards. Maybe someone could explain to me what that's all about.

Watched an interesting documentary on cable yesterday about the Williams sisters--Venus and Serena--which traced their rise to fame from their childhood days and the influence of their father in pushing them to prominence. Now there are two remarkable athletes. I'd much rather watch a good tennis match than a football game any day.

BTW, add me to the list of people who is not thumbing your posts, either up or down, I really don't bother with that sort of thing. Once in a blue moon, I'll thumb a post down mainly to collapse it, so I don't have to see it on a page, but that's very rare, and it never involves you. It's mainly with posters who post one post after another, often quite repetitious posts, that take up most of a page, and collapsing those makes it easier to see other people's posts.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 07:26 pm
@firefly,
Basketball is an interesting game and I was for a few years avid, my university being big then via John Wooden, coach.
And I followed some, later, re Kareem et al.
Truth is I didn't care.

Tall guys vying, snore. Later, I watched basketball at venice beach, the sharpest player being a woman, relatively short, the league being six feet or under. I don't know who she was, but she was good at all of it.

She was quite a bit shorter, not just a little. Strong point guard.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 05:34 am
@Lustig Andrei,
If I make you laugh Andy it is because I intended to. I see no point to posting if it is not to amuse the folks.

Strictly Come Dancing is a very expensive attempt to amuse the folks and any intelligent person seeing it has no alternative but to sob their little heart out.

I would guess that my serial DTer is a fan of such legitimised theft. Every production which encourages viewers to call a number is tricking small change out of pockets and handbags.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 05:43 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Aren't there two types of rugby?

Yes, Rugby Union and Rugby League.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 03:39 pm
It's so empty in here.... Sad

Oh well, now that our government's back open I can watch the Panda Cam at the National Zoo once again.

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/webcams/giant-panda.cfm

At the moment, the pandas are sleeping. Even they don't want to keep me company. Crying or Very sad

I'll have to drown my sorrows in a hot fudge sundae.

http://s3-media2.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/J3nJGyE3JEdMlg-xSKsztA/l.jpg

OMG! The panda just woke up and she's licking her baby! This is SO cute I can't stand it!

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 06:16 pm
@firefly,
Addressed to the booth of firefly:
http://i40.tinypic.com/xdwpea.gif

I brought a case of pumpkin cider from Woodchuck for anyone still here at the cafe. Any takers? Surprised
http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/5EvWUjlxYonKizCG6n0CEw/l.jpg
firefly

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 06:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
Kind sir, thank you for the hug.
http://i500.listal.com/image/5741111/500full.jpg

I think I'd like to try the cider. It sounds interesting.
Below viewing threshold (view)
firefly

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 06:51 pm
@JTT,
Don't you have any houses to haunt, JTT? I'd think Halloween is your busy season.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 07:32 pm
I don't come here often, because I don't have a great deal to share, re food.
firefly

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 07:49 pm
@JTT,
Go look at the pandas. At the moment they are awake and momma is cuddling her baby. Maybe it will improve your disposition. Wink
Sturgis

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 10:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
Then come on in and share ideas about life, weather, what have ya. Take your time with a coffee or tea or a delicious and delightful egg cream or a beer if that's more your leaning. No need to worry, Lola and Wassau welcome everybody.